Thursday 5 February 2009

Iphone 3g Accessories - iphone, mount


A few weeks ago I was looking for a mounting solution for my iPhone in my Dodge truck, and was intrigued by the description and reviews I saw of this one. A few days later, it arrived & I began experimenting with different ways to mount it. The more ways I tried, the more I realized how versatile of a mount this is. My mounting location of choice was the overhanging lip of the dashboard, above and to the right of the steering wheel. However, the dash is composed of sort of rippled, patterned plastic, and I seriously doubted that I could get any kind of suction cup mount to work.



Amazingly, the "Smart Pad" that comes with this mount solves this problem perfectly, although it is not very well described in the enclosed instructions. The Smart Pad is simply a tacky, very soft rubber-like disc, which is placed between a non-uniform mounting surface, and the suction cup mount. Somehow, by applying suction against it from the suction cup mount side, the soft surface against the non-uniform mounting surface conforms to that surface and maintains suction against it. Once I figured this out, I successfully managed to mount my iPhone just above and to the right of steering wheel. I set it up so that it was easily visible while driving, got good GPS reception through the windshield, and was easily touched from my right hand, even while holding on to the steering wheel.



But, how well would it hang on to the overhanging lip, and how long would it stay? The true test came right away: a drive from from Arizona to Alaska via the Alaska Highway - four days of normal road vibration, followed by about two days of rough roads with potholes, and frostheaves. The result: it didn't come off even once. I had to worry about mosquitoes, shifting trailer loads, and high gas prices. But never about my iPhone coming loose.



A couple of weeks later, it continues to hang on tightly. No longer do I have to fumble around with my iPhone to change songs, or try to wrestle it out from in between the seats, where it's slid into on a corner.



Overall, a convenient mounting option for the iPhone that is versatile, well-made, and easy to use. Satechi CR -3600 car holder mount for iPhone 4, 3G & 3Gs, BlackBerry Torch, HTC EVO, DROID, Samsung EPIC on Windshield and Dashboard

This product works great and holds on the dash nice and sturdy as I'm pressing the screen. One drawback is my wife's phone, which has a rubber case does not fit in this holder. I'm going to have to buy her another style that adapts to wider/taller sizes to include the case. I don't have a case, so this works great for me. I like that it is adjustable to direct the phone right toward me while driving. With it on the dash, my eyes are closer to the road, reducing my risk.

I was looking for a iPhone mount that was solid and would not vibrate so it could be used for data aq for running my car on the track and autocross. This mount is quite solid when mounted with lots of adjustment in every direction. My C5 Z06 has a very steep windshield and it has plenty of adjustment mounted in the center. Also mounts well in the corner near the A pillar in my truck.



Overall, very pleased, especially for the price!



David

Like other reviewers mentioned, this thing has a great build quality overall- very sturdy and solid. I installed it using a suction cup on the windshield about 2 weeks ago and despite the car being parked and driven under tropical sun, it still hasn't fallen off ! It really SUCKS (the only time when that's a good thing !)

It comes with 2 cradles- iPhone-specific and one generic for use with any GPS, phone, etc

Regrettably, the iPhone cradle can only be used without any skin/case on the iPhone (even the thinnest Incipio Feather case I'm using is too big to fit in the cradle). Removing the case from iPhone and putting it back every time I enter/leave the car seems rather impractical and will surely scratch up the iPhone, so might as well not use the case in the first place.

Instead, I'm using the generic cradle for the iPhone which works well, has a good grip and is easy to get the phone in and out. But (and here's a big BUT), the two supporting brackets on the bottom of the cradle prevent the charging cable to be used with the iPhone ! The workaround would be to fold these two brackets (i.e. not use them) and just handle the phone carefully when removing from the cradle (not to let it slip and fall).

Still, this is probably the best quality car holder available.



Note- Iphone cradle fits iPhone 3GS (which is what I have) well (without any case/skin obviously)

I purchased the Satechi SCR-31 Car Holder & Mount to use with my iPhone 4. I also have the Apple Bumper on my phone, so a mount that would accommodate a case was high on my priorities.



The Satechi case did not disappoint in any way. It opens large enough for any case to fit. The built is sturdy and the suction cup strong. I also like the Smart Pad that comes with it. It makes it possible to attach the holder to the dashboard, which is not possible with the suction cup on its own, due to the ripple texture of the dash board material.



It can also be rotated to Landscape Mode, which is not clearly visible from the descriptions and pictures.



I highly recommend this item to anyone who is looking for a decent car holder & mount.

I recently realized that the Navigon GPS Navigation on my iphone 3GS was actually better than the navigation software installed on my Jaguar X Type. Once, I upgraded to the iphone 4, the gap was even bigger! However, one challenge was to find a cradle that was non intrusive, high quality and fit the phone perfectly.



IF you don't use a case, this is about the most perfect you can get. The suction is just fantastic and it sticks really well on the glass. It holds the phone very well and I use it all the time! The case has never caused any scratch of any kind on my iphone 3gs or the new iphone 4. - Mount - Iphone - Iphone 4 - Ipod Car Mount'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Iphone 3g Accessories - iphone, mount ipod car mount Iphone 3g Accessories - iphone, mount