Thursday 5 February 2009

Kindle Power Adapters


this is a perfectly good charger, but if you already have a cell phone charger that uses micro USB- you're wasting your money. I have a new blackberry curve, my wife a droid. Both cell phone chargers charge the kindle no problem. Amazon Kindle Replacement Power Adapter (Works with 6", 9.7" Display, 2nd and Latest Generation Kindles)

So, I thought I would share my experience here with getting one of these replaced. The Kindle DX comes with a limited 1-year warranty. The USB/Power cable that comes with it disintegrated after about 1.5 years. Amazon is quite gracious, though, and they are willing to replace the cable for free. But they are not willing to pay shipping on the replacement, because it is after the warranty. Shipping is $6.98, so if you are looking to replace the cable, that is the end cost. It is also not clear what happens if, in another 1.5 years, this cable wears out. Probably if that happens I will forego the cute, matching, unreliable cable for a plain black one that doesn't cost so much to replace all the time.



The long and the short of it is that a $489 device comes with a cable that doesn't last, but that Amazon is somewhat nice in replacing it.



On the other hand, customer service was very nice, and promptly solved my problem, so kudos, guys! I wish you all the best.

I lost my original wall charger and USB adapter while reading on my Kindle during a bus ride. The new one came in quickly before my Kindle lost even a bit of charge. I have found that the wall charger also works with the iPhone 3G USB adapter, giving me an apparent full charge. The voltage is about the same and mAH is lower, so charging does take longer. However, that is one less charger to lose and one more USB space on my laptop. This charger has lasted longer than even the "green" charger I bought from AT&T. Which did not get beyond a week.

I plugged my Kindle in to charge before leaving in the morning. When I arrived home from work, I found the plastic coating had split in many places, exposing bare wire! I found this quite alarming. Reading the reviews on the Amazon website for this product was very helpful. I discovered that this is happening to virtually everyone, and that folks are having various results when contacting Amazon about this matter. When I called I was first told that my Kindle is no longer under warranty and I would have to purchase a new cord on my own. After I emphatically exclaimed that this was clearly a defective product, I was told that my Amazon account would be credited for the price of a new cord, which I could then order. I had noticed that some other reviewers had to pay the cost of the shipping. When pressed, I was advised that my account would be refunded for the price of the shipping once the item had shipped. Some perseverance and persistence was required on my part, but Amazon came through - at least so far. It has not yet been shipped, so I haven't received the promised refund for the shipping cost yet. I'm just wondering how long the new cord will hold up.

In less than two years it was necessary to replace the charger connector cable. In both of the original connector cable simply deteriorated and peeled from the connectors.

Thus I would rate the Kindle charger adapter cable as highly inferior products.

I too join many others in expressing my complaint of the USB cable. It seems the shelf life is only about 1.5 years then it just crumbles & creats a safety hazard. Surprised Amazon didn't step up to this problem and provide a free replacement including S&H. Rather than replacing the cable, I merely wrapped it with black electrical tape.

THE NEW USB CABLE I HAVE RECEIVED SEEMS FINE. BUT...... THE ONE THAT CAME WITH MY KINDLE SEEMED FINE TOO.



AFTER ABOUT A YEAR THE CASING ON THE WIREING STARTED TO FLAKE OFF. THE CORD WAS NEVER MISTREATED OR KEPT IN A PLACE THAT WAS OVERLY HOT OR COLD, ETC. BUT THERE I WAS WITH A PLUG, USB ADAPTER AND EXPOSED WIRE ALL THE WAY DOWN THE CORD TO THE ADAPTER THAT PLUGS INTO THE KINDLE.



I HAVE MANY ADAPTERS, CHARGERS ETC AND HAVE NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ANY OF THEM. IT IS CLEAR THAT THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THE KINDLE WAS DEFECTIVE. MY CONCERN NOW IS THAT IN A YEAR I WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE NEW ONE YOU SENT ME.



THE WOMAN ON THE PHONE WHEN I CALLED SAID THAT SHE NEEDED TO MAKE IT CLEAR THIS WAS A ONE TIME REPLACEMENT SITUATION. SHE ALSO GAVE ME THE FEELING IT HAD HAPPENED TO OTHERS. IN MY MIND THIS TRANSLATES TO THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT AND YOU SHOULD BE REPLACING IT AS LONG AS THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH IT.



THANK YOU FOR THE CHANCE TO EXPRESS MY CONCERNS.

Much faster then plugging into your computer and you don't have to have your computer with you!





This should have come with your Kindle 3G! However it does not for people purchasing the Kindle that live in Canada! Frustrating!!

The original power cord for my Kindle DX fell apart overnight. I was initially upset because I knew the purchase was over a year old and that I probably would not receive a replacement (for free). Boy was I wrong! I called the 1-800 # and the Kindle customer service was so friendly and helpful. In less than 5 minutes I had a credit issued on my Amazon account so that I could purchase a new power cord. Hopefully, the new cord was made in better quality, but if not I know I can depend on Amazon to help me out!

the casing enclosing the plug-in cord was made of inferior material and it failed. It chipped off like pieces of Chicklets....what a mess. However dealing with Amazon was pleasant and the problem was corrected on the spot and another cord was sent immediately. Very top notch customer service!!!! I will continue to buy from Amazon. Thanks you for paying attention to the details. Gina Brown'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kindle Power Adapters Kindle Power Adapters Kindle Power Adapters