Monday 27 October 2008

40 inch hdtv - 120hz, 40 inch hdtv


This is my first HD television although I've had experience working with them due to my job as a computer tech. The picture quality on this TV is on par with the better screens I've seen. When a BR disk is playing (connected with HDMI) it's astounding. The sound on the unit goes very high without the vibration I've heard other TVs produce at higher volumes. The high notes are a bit sharp on the unit at higher volumes and the only reason I gave it a 4 star on sound quality.



Setup was simple...snap together some plastic for the base and plug it in.



I've not used the unit with any other devices outside of my BR player. I've used Vudu, Netflix, normal DVDs and Blueray and all look great. Even the standard definition DVD and Netflix feeds look sharp.



If you're wanting a TV that's simple to use without any fuss or tweaking with settings or configurations this one is perfect as that's what I was looking for in a TV. Toshiba 40E210 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV, Black

I bought this Toshiba to replace the 32" TCL LCD in my bedroom - gave the TCL to my son. Just got this TV yesterday and I wanted to give my first impressions and address some of the concerns listed in other reviews, both here and on other sites. The three main criticisms of this TV were:



1. Only two HDMI ports - I only needed one or two ports anyway, so this did not bother me. If you are purchasing this as your main unit, you need to weigh this considerably. There are ways around it, such as a receiver with HDMI-in ports or an HDMI switch, but unless you own these already, it's money you could spend on a bigger TV.



2. Sound - OK, the sound on this is not great, but it is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. I would say it is about average for TV's of this size and level (I install TV's in clients' conference rooms from time to time). I was really expecting it to be bad after some of the reviews, so when it pretty much sounded on par with my 32" TCL, it kind of made me laugh. I was also able to change the Dolby settings (Compressed or Normal - you have to decide what you like better) to improve the sound. What critics probably dislike is the lack of bass. There is pretty much no bass, but I feel the same way about every other TV of this size I have heard. It does not have RCA or analog out, so you cannot install computer speakers, like some reviewers have complained about. It does have an optical out, which is better because it is feature-forward. I have a Panasonic soundbar already, so I plugged the TV optical out into my soundbar and everything sounded great. I would never spend the money on a TV of this size and use the built-in speakers. At the very least, go with a sound bar. Panasonic makes a very good one and Vizio has one for under $100 on Amazon. My Panasonic is perfect for the bedroom - shows and movies are immersive and the voices are crystal clear. If you want a nice sound system with full bass and don't want to run wires or buy a receiver, get the Panasonic soundbar with the subwoofer. If you just want to significantly improve the sound of the TV, you can buy the soundbar with no subwoofer. It will do nicely (I do not have the subwoofer).



3. Weak HD tuner - I have no idea what the critical reviewers are talking about. This TV picked up every QAM channel, including unencrypted digital, that my cable company provides. What this means is that I hooked the TV straight to my cable line and it picked up all of the local digital HD stations, the music stations, and cable analog stations. It performed as well as my other TV's with no problem. I then hooked up my indoor HD antenna and it picked up 38 stations, including every Milwaukee HD channel and some from Chicago. I live almost 50 miles from Milwaukee and 70 miles from Chicago. It worked as well or better than my other TV's. To put this in context, if I look up on the web what channels I am supposed to receive for my location, it lists 25 stations. I get 38. The TV also has a nice feature that shows how strong the signal is when you pull up a channel.



All in all, the Toshiba is a great TV for the money, especially at $399.98. The picture quality is excellent and the screen has a nice matte finish, so there are no reflections. It is a 60Hz TV, so there will probably be some artifacting during Bluray movie action sequences, but that is to be expected.



It was easy to set up and does everything I ask from a TV of this class.

Good picture and good value for the money but the sound quality is unbearably poor. There is no analog out for sound but there is a digital out. Though about adding speakers but decided to return and buy LG for $50 more.

This 40 inch Toshiba is the forth Toshiba I own (also a 42 in, 46 in and a 55 in). All of them great, no problems whatsoever. Terrific picture. I've owned the 42in for 3 or 4 years, the 45in for 2 years, the 55in for 6 mos and the 40 in for one month. All are now in service, all excellent. You can't go wrong with Toshiba and both the 55 in and the 40 in were bargains besides. I also have a Samsung 46 which is great, but the Toshiba is the best value in my opinion.

Fortunately, Amazon reviewers had warned me that the built-in speakers were tinny and pretty awful. They weren't kidding... They are actually worse sounding than my old Westinghouse LCD from 4 years ago and worse than a Samsung LCD from the same time period.



Okay, so assuming you are going to hook this thing up to a stereo, a surround system, PC speakers, or a sound-bar... this is an incredible value. The picture is great. This is my second Toshiba LCD, and the picture quality is excellent. Seriously... 1080p and 40 inches for under $450, shipped to your door? It's insane to think that the 720p - 32" Westinghouse I bought years ago was around $700, and that was a bargain at the time. How cheap can these things get?



This TV will make you want to watch nothing but blurays... I have digital cable and a PS3, which can stream some movies and TV shows at 1080p. The digital cable looks great, except that you can really see the artifacting when there are fast movements of the whole camera. I hope digital cable starts using a better compression method someday... Anyhow, Netflix HD content looks great on this TV. However, blurays look insane, and this is really the reason to bother owning a 1080p set.



As compared to other LCD 1080p TVs, I did go to Best Buy and compare the picture quality to all of the competitors... Granted, these aren't really the best conditions to try and compare picture quality (in a brightly lit store, random video content, all the TVs set to the default settings). However, the Toshiba was at least holding its own with other TVs that were twice the price, and many of the things that I didn't like about one TV or the other could be fixed by adjusting the settings. So pretty much, with all of the name brand TVs, the picture quality was great. Things that are present in the higher priced models where mostly things that I didn't want to pay extra for... such as internet connectivity (I'm using a PS3 for Netflix and video file playback) and LED backlighting (it didn't seem to result in a better picture, although it did reduce the depth and weight of the TVs). And I didn't test them out, but I'm hoping that some of the more expensive models came with better internal speakers than the Toshiba.



So, in my house, hooked up to my stereo and playing a bluray, it's hard to imagine this TV being much better - the picture can be mind-blowing with the right source - and it's definitely a steal at around $450 with free shipping. - 120hz - 40 Inch Hdtv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


40 inch hdtv - 120hz, 40 inch hdtv 120hz 40 inch hdtv - 120hz, 40 inch hdtv