Wednesday 2 November 2011

Cordless Weed Whacker - cordless lawn tools, cordless weed eater


Over the years I've used many Black & Decker products. Everything from power tools to lawn care equipment, most are as advertised and effectively do the job just as good as the higher priced competition. I haven't used a gas powered tool in over 12 years now. I've also gone the electric route as well. My eleven year old 18 volt B&D trimmer has more then proved itself and finally was put out to pasture. I'm still surprised that I got that much running time from the two 18 volt batteries that came with the unit. For quick and easy trimming, its been a capable tool. That said, I picked up the Black & Decker LST220 Grasshog Trimmer at my local hardware store last weekend.



After a quick inventory, I scanned over the brief instructions. Its pretty much cut and dry as to what's in the box. There's the trimmer, instructions, two batteries, cord, and a charger. The company also tags on a two year limited warranty. The instructions on Black & Decker tools are still amusing to say the least. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to put a piece of their gear together. Knowing what I know about battery powered lawn tools, I knew I would need both batteries to complete the tasks in my large front and back yards. So I charged both of the 20 volt batteries for about 8 hours each.



Now the test. First off, the B&D LST220 Trimmer has a nice light feel to it. Like my older trimmer, the handle has a good ergonomic feel to it. It easily moves up and down and rotates a full 360 degrees. Adjustment is easy. It didn't take me long to find out about the line's new auto feed system. Its much nicer then the old bump and feed system. On average I found myself using about four of the 30' line spools a year. Only time will tell if that number drops with this new system.



The trimmer does seem faster. I don't doubt the advertised 7500 rpm a bit. The 12" trim path has not changed from my older model. The trigger configuration hasn't changed either. Its still has a nice feel. Trimming wise, this model operates smoothly without any hiccups. It does a great job of getting under bushes and around the fence line. Just like my older unit, I was not surprised that I had to utilize both batteries to get the front yard trimming done. I noticed a drop off in power at about 15 minutes. Good thing B&D includes two batteries. One battery doesn't come anywhere near getting the job done.



The metal guard for edging has stayed much the same design as the original model. Like my older B&D trimmers, the LST220 Trimmer is not capable of doing a great job of edging because of the steady drain on battery power. Even with two 20 volt batteries, its just not enough juice. I always have to break out my electric powered edger or hand tools to complete the task. Why Black & Decker even promotes its lineup of battery powered trimmers as edgers is a mystery to me.



Even though I am user of many Black & Decker products, I find the company's website limited on up to date product information. Product registration is available via the site. It seems that it took them ages to post a toll free number. Now depending on the product, there is a toll free number posted for each line. When I did contact customer service for other tools that I've owned, I've always received outstanding service. Signing up for the company newsletter via email is nothing more then receiving an occasion survey on products.



Even with its battery limitations, the Black & Decker LST220 Cordless Grass Hog Trimmer is a useful working tool in clearing out ground not accessible by a mower. When it comes to edging that's a different story. Personally I don't think there is any battery powered tool out there that certifies as a true edging tool. I know I've not seen or used one. Still, this Black & Decker tool covers the bases as a good gas free trimmer. Black & Decker LST220 12-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless GrassHog Trimmer/Edger

I bought this product from my local "bigbox" store a month ago so thought I would drop a review here anyway. The LST220 came with two 20volt lithium ion batteries, a charger, and a leaf blower. I am a slim petite woman who is not the least big mechanically inclined, but I put this wonder together in a few minutes. Guess I'm better than I thought. Batteries each take a full 8 hours to charge, which is a drawback for me, since they only gave me 20 minutes of weeding on each battery, and take 8 hours to charge each one. This unit's height can be adjusted with the quick easy turn of a collar, and the (.065) line is automatic--so no more bump & feed! It is so lightweight and easy to use for me, and I really do love the fact that I don't have to mess with pulling that nasty string a dozen times on a smelly gas-powered trimmer any more. With this model, all you do is push a button! The only cons would be that the battery lasts me 20 minutes of run time, so I get to do about 35-40 minutes total weed whacking using two batteries. Quite honestly, I can't stand doing much more than that anyway, but I called B&D to verify this, and was told that 20 minutes' run time is the best that I can expect to get for each battery. When I asked B&D why they don't make one with a longer battery life (an hour per battery would be good) I was told that it would make the unit much too heavy (huh??). An electric (corded) weed trimmer is not an option for me since I would have to have an 800ft. cord. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 only because of the short battery use; a quicker charge time would be a plus. Otherwise, I really enjoy using it, so much so that I think I'm addicted. Haven't had to change the spool yet, but will update this when I do.



UPDATE: By the time I had used this 12-14 times, I was only getting 7-10 minutes' run time from each battery. With 16+ hours charge time, it would take me 3-4 days to complete one area. It's a shame really, as everything else about this machine is great. B&D told me not to expect more than 7 minutes of use from each battery. I ended up returning this weed whacker, and still looking for a good cordless. For those of you who claim to get 35+ minutes' continuous run time from each battery, I'd like to know how. - Cordless Trimmer - Black And Decker - Cordless Lawn Tools - Cordless Weed Eater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Weed Whacker - cordless lawn tools, cordless weed eater black and decker Cordless Weed Whacker - cordless lawn tools, cordless weed eater