Saturday 8 October 2011

Yoga Mats - manduka, yoga mat


So, i'm new to Yoga and wanted a quality mat. I weight in at 325lbs and stand over 6'3 (football player build) so I was looking for something with good knee support. I bought the Eco mat and this one, promptly returned the Eco mat. I am a serious consumer and research every purchase to the point of silliness.. I did experience the slipping when I first started, then my instructor suggested to scrub off the shipping film ( much like manduka recommends) - No more slipping.... Support of the is mat is really awesome (knees feel great in child pose or other knee intensive poses), grip is great ( I practice with a towel since i'm a sweaty one), and the length is just right. Not sure why people dislike the bag- There are 2 compartments, maybe they are trying to stuff the mat in the wet clothes side...? Anyways- I love the bag, works great, fits my large shoulders... I usually go for coffee and the market after practice, carry this mat and bag the entire time- Since im a dude and sort of stacked, I dont even notice the weight..... Any questions? Also remember to roll it up with the floor side to the inside of the roll- That way when you unroll it, it will not curl at the ends.... Also if you care about status- I dont know what the hell i'm doing at yoga, but people do notice and comment on my awesome mat- Where did you get it? they say...... :) Manduka Black Mat Pro Yoga Package, Graphite, 85 Inch Mat

Padding: 5 stars. The mat is thick and provides an excellent amount of cushioning. You should never need to fold it.



Traction: 1 star. The mat provides excellent traction... until you start to sweat. I've read elsewhere that this is supposed to improve as the mat is broken in, but how long is that supposed to take? I've tried accelerating the break-in through washing and scrubbing (as recommended in the included instructions), but I haven't observed even the slightest improvement in traction while wet over the weeks that I've been using the mat. Just how long am I expected to slip and slide through my workouts?



I currently work around the traction issue by placing towels where I set my hands and feet. The towels still shift and bunch up, though, which forces me to stop and reset them numerous times over the course of a workout. Maybe wearing socks and gloves would work better, but I'm not thrilled with the idea.

I've owned the mat for about a month now and in that time it has performed just as I hoped it would. The mat is very sturdy, yet provides enough cushion that I never feel like my knees or my sit bones are pressing against the hard floor beneath the mat. Being 6 feet tall, I needed the extra length. I use every bit of it too, without ever feeling like I don't have enough room. I just want to say one thing about the grip of this mat. The mat does not absorb moisture at all. It's not meant to have grip when it's wet. That's why you need a skidless towel if you're going to be doing the kind of yoga that makes you sweat. Otherwise, the mat has excellent grip. Much better than those cheapo 20 dollar mats.



I highly recommend this mat for people that want top quality. If you prefer a mat that is not top quality, and don't mind if it degrades over time, stretches a little bit when you are in down dog, and isn't quite as sturdy, then this mat isn't for you.



Cheers

The mat is thick and durable. At 85", it is quite long and touching the floor surrounding the mat is not required for just about all poses. It feels like it would be indestructible with any normal usage. It is a little slippery at first, however a quick wipe down with a damp cloth and some dr bronner's soap and it became very sticky. I have not found it to be an issue with regular usage. The mat sack is a perfect complement to the mat, with a large compartment that easily holds my shorts, shirt, a strap, a full sized equa towel, a hand equa towel and a water bottle. The only way it could be better is if it had a compartment for a block, but that's not really an issue. Yes, this kit is a bit pricey, but it feels like it will last forever and having quality gear can really help motivate you to use it more often. Would recommend to anyone having more than a passing interest in yoga.

I tried it 3 times. Each time i was sliding off of it the whole class. I tried washing it down with vinegar and water, it didn't help. Also, i felt like i could have been laying directly on the hardwood floor. It is thick but the material is so dense that it doesn't give at all. Finally, it weighs a ton, which i could have dealt with if it was a great mat that i loved, but as you can see it wasn't. The one good thing i will say is the length was great, I'm 6' tall and i loved that about it.

I just traded it in for the Jade one, i got it yesterday and just played around with it on the living room floor for a few minutes, it seems great! With good cushion and very sticky, plus i love the bright red color!

I read all of the reviews, and the two issues with this mat are true, but they can be overcome with patience. Yes it is heavy; mine weighs exactly 8.97 pounds, a little more than the product's spec.I am 6' 2", stretch off of the gym's mats, so I wanted this 85" 5-star rated mat, regardless of the effort I planned to go thru to get it ready for my 1st practice.Mat did have an odor and odors give me a big headache. I left it unrolled in the garage (odor was too powerful for me to keep in the house). After 2 months the odor was still noticeable when lying on the mat, but I was able to start practicing with it. Odor was totally gone in 4 months (leaving it unrolled after every practice).Mat initially was slippery when wet and since I sweat a lot I decided to clean it as suggested once a week for the 2 months before 1st practice with it (don't clean the Manduka sticker, it will come off). Also as suggested I left it outside during the day three times to help quicken the breakdown the film. After the initial 2 months break-in I finally had a great mat, now that it has been another 6 months, it is an excellent mat.I have a mat for life, one that I am stable when doing Tree , one that is long and wide enough for me, without any odors , is non-slip, and cushioned. What more can I ask for? - Manduka - P90x - Yoga - Yoga Mat'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Yoga Mats - manduka, yoga mat p90x Yoga Mats - manduka, yoga mat