Thursday 20 October 2011

Iphone Charger - ipod accessories, apple


After being burnt a number of times, on Apple accessories, I've learned to read the description carefully, especially under the used/new section.



Many sellers are selling after market knock offs advertised as "Apple replacement" "Apple OEM compatible with the following models" which they list the different models it should work with.



My advice, stay away from these products, especially since changes have been made to the Ipod and Iphone connector, dropping support for the firewire & usb models to usb only. The change made causes the earlier models, when plugged in, will usually place a message on the screen telling you it's not compatible. With others, the message may not come up, which could cause damage to your unit.



I recommend always contacting the seller to make certain it is a genuine Apple made product, and it's compatible with the later models.



With that said, the unit I received was an original Apple and works as advertised and expected. The seller did a fine job getting it to me in a reasonable time frame and at a good price. I have a number of Macs & Ipod units, and like having a cord available at each location. I also lose cables, or forget to bring one with me when I go the office, or some place where I spend a lot of time. If you have an Iphone, you know what a power hog it is, so plugging it into an available USB port any where you get the opportunity, you'll take.



Just be careful when ordering so you get the real deal. Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable - iPhone / iPod charging / data cable - Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A (M) - Apple Dock connector

How difficult should it be to create a knockoff USB cable for an Apple product?



If you're buying this to charge an iPhone with an OtterBox case, prepare to make some, ah, modifications, shall we say. The goes-in-the-phone end is too large to fit, and the plastic sides must be (don't laugh) shaved down slightly to get by the OtterBox.



Alright, you're sitting there with a charging phone and a small pile of white plastic shavings on your desk. All well and good.



If you're me, however, you only have about 4-6 weeks before the cord pulls out of the charging end.



What a piece. Of. Yonk.



By gosh, I demand a cheap, quality knockoff so I don't have to send Steve Jobs $40 for a stinking 35 cent USB cord! Now appease me, shady Taiwanese plastics company! NOW!

The item shipped was not the item pictured. The item shipped is a cheap knockoff. It has a chintzy locking tab (OEM has no tab) that would not release and I had to rip the cord out of my phone to get it out. Buyer beware.

Well, I knew what I was getting into when I bought this cable. I obviously was not expecting top notch quality for the price I paid. Let's just say, the cord worked fine for 3 days. The end piece that connects to the iPhone completely tore off, exposing the wire underneath. Needless to say, I had to throw it away.

Pros:

It charges my 2nd generation ipod touch (running 3.0)

It syncs video, music and applications.



Cons:

I question the authenticity of this.

It did not come in the official apple box.(attached picture)

It didn't come with the official apple papers.

The official cord is always suppose to says "Designed by apple in California Assembled in China" on the usb side, but on the one I got, it said that on the dock connector side.(attached picture)

The dock connector side has and awkward fit, and it didn't fit perfectly. (attached picture)



Overall, it does it's job. I'm still unsure if it's official or not.

If it's unofficial, I would have bought the 54cent one instead.

I expected cheap cables so I bought 5. In the month since I received them, 3 have broken in one way or another. I will have to open the 4th tonight. The case which houses the iphone connector falls apart at the slightest hint of wind. The cables inside detach easily.



They do work with my iphone 3g, so the function is great as a backup, but I need these to last much longer to be considered worth it. - Apple - Ipod Accessories - Ipod Charger - Iphone Cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information