Monday 4 July 2011

Wireless Mouse - logitech, cordless


Love both the keyboard and mouse, so far no problems or complaints with either. I purchased this here and should get a 10 dollar rebate back, but I haven't received it yet (expect to though, hasn't been long since I mailed it in). I did try this combo on a Mac, and it does work - but the keyboard doesn't have the apple key, so most of the keyboard shortcuts won't work - but as far as standard typing goes, it works fine (this was without installing any software). There may be a software download to resolve this issue for the Mac, but I haven't had a chance to check yet. Generally speaking though I'm very satisfied with this product, and it works as advertised. Logitech Wireless Wave Combo Mk550 With Keyboard and Laser Mouse (920-002555)

I purchased this set while it was on the Black Friday sale, and couldn't pass it up for the price. Overall the combo is nice, and the unifying receiver is great. The packaging was fine, and the included 4 foot USB extension cable is a nice addition if you have problems with range.



KEYBOARD:

The wave design is definitely different. For me it's taking a little getting used to, and so far I still prefer a standard layout. Although, I do really enjoy the padded palm rest which is very comfortable and indented. This is all mostly a matter of taste, so YMMV. The keys feel decent, and can't complain for the price. One thing that's a little annoying are the oversized silver feature buttons (Music, Media Center, Photos, Ect). They look a little out of place, but again just a matter of taste.

The thing that kills it for me though, is the spacing of the F keys across the top. They're spaced in sets of 3 instead of the standard 4 (that it's been since the beginning of time). I use these keys quite often, such as F5 for refresh and ALT/CTRL + F4 to close a program/window. I usually do it by feel, but this spacing continues to mess it up. Why oh why they decided to changed this, I have no idea! This keyboard also includes a pet peeve of mine that's become common on these new keyboards; replacing the context menu key with the Fn (Function) key. The context menu key (right click) comes in quite handy for fixing spelling errors without having to reach for the mouse.



MOUSE:

The M510 mouse has a nice shape to it, and the scroll wheel is much better than I was expecting. The solid center click is much better than the regular mushy feeling I've found on most mice. The left/right mouse buttons are decent; it may be just that I need to get used to it, but the right button is pretty easy to hit accidentally. The side back/forward buttons are much different than I've seen on any other mouse. The travel on these buttons are pretty deep, which seems to help against accidental clicking. The performance on the laser works just as well as any other laser mouse as far as I can tell.





PROS:

Keyboard overall has nice feel, although I feel like I'm stretching a little for the backspace key.

Nice padded palm rest





CONS:

F keys spaced by 3 instead of the standard 4

The Logitech logo at the bottom of the keyboard seems a little out of place

I've owned another wave type product from Logitech before, when it first came out and the USB attachment was flimsy and broke making the keyboard and mouse useless. I love the idea of the micro USB adapter and so far the Keyboard and mouse seem to respond well to it. For the price I don't think this bargain can be beat for a good wireless keyboard/mouse combination. Logitech makes some of the best accessories for the electronic age and I have used many of their products with much satisfaction.



End result. It looks, feels, and performs like you expect a keyboard and mouse to perform.



Pros

+ Nice look

+ Good feel with the wave design, good feel from the keys

+ Micro receiver

+ Price

+ Lots of customization with both the mouse and keyboard keys.

+ On/Off switches. I'm not sure about this one but previous keyboard/mouse combos would last an exceptionally long time. So far I have yet to use it, but if I'm not going to use the mouse or keyboard for a while its convenient to have the switch.



Cons

- Mouse appears to not be as responsive as earlier models, but still good.

- Volume adjustment on keyboard is really stiff, makes for quick changes in volume a little harder.

I got this because I have a CPU that I would've liked to hide away seeing as how it was connected to a 40 inch lcd television. I already had a wired wave keyboard but the cords weren't long enough to reach the couch so the CPU had to be right next to me. It's very loud and a major inconvenience during a quiet part of a movie. I love this keyboard and the ish extension that came with it. The added keys make turning the computer on and off very easy with out having to push the button. Also was able to put the volume on the mouse side controls for added ease while watching a movie. Highly recommended for those witha true home entertainment system. Mouse also works on all surfaces I've tried (semi pitted wood table, couch cushion, carpet). Range I'm not to sure of but within the 8-10 ft. works like a dream. Have yet to see how long the batteries will actually last with my usage but if the 15 months it claims is true, the annoyance of charging batteries is a much needed release from the other wireless I've had in the past. - Keyboard - Ergonomic Keyboard - Logitech - Cordless'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information