Tuesday 21 June 2011

Accessories


I'm not sure about the easel part because it creases the back of the cover, and this makes it look unattractive. It could also cause some wear at the stitching on the side edges over time. I can't get it to close completely, but I have the Tab face down to see if the weight (and probably more wear) will soften the case so it closes. The buttons and SD slot are almost completely uncovered on the side. There is a slight overlap (very, very slight), but it doesn't impede access at all. Everything else is accessible. Obviously the case will keep the back camera lense covered, but that's not a big deal to me. I like the portfolio look of it and the elastic band across the back to slip my hand under for a better hold when I'm carrying it around. The inside is a soft, grey, "suede" material. The Tab fits snugly in. I saw that my screen protector was sticking a little bit when I was sliding the Tab into place, so be careful or it could peel up the edges of the protector and leave you with bubbles. It adds a little bulk, but I don't find it cumbersome. It's 1 lb, 3 5/8 oz on my kitchen scale. Overall, it doesn't look expensive, but it certainly doesn't look like a cheap make-do case either. For the price and protection it offers, I give this 4 stars. I hold back on 5 stars in case it never closes flush when face up.



Update: 1/1/11 - A fellow customer sent a question regarding the smell of this case. It does have a chemically, vinyl out of a package smell to it, but this has dissipated somewhat since I've had it. I've bought other things over the years with this distinct odor, and it eventually goes away sooner rather than later. I expect it'll be the same scenario with this easel case. If I'm still smelling it in a week or two, that will be a problem. 1/3/10 - And the strap holds this thing closed shut. : ) Thanks fellow shopper for letting me know. I can bump this up to five stars. Samsung Galaxy Tab Protective Leather Easel Case, Black

Ok, everything WAS ok with this case...before I pop the MAJOR con, I will stress out the pros. I like the exterior finish...it has a matte, velvety finish on the outside. The interior is ok, but could have been better. There is an elastic strap that you can use to keep the case fastened. You can use the case a stand as well, which I found pretty helpful. All the side buttons, ports on the tablet are accessible as the casing had neatly cutout sections to expose them...BUT, but...get this...THEY FORGOT the tablet has a rear facing CAMERA!!!? There is no hole/cutout on the backside, so I cant use the rear facing camera. I have to take it out of the casing in order to use it to take a picture. It never struck me when I was checking out its images on the newegg product page. Anyways I am thinking I will punch a hole there myself...cant be bothered with returning this for something else!

I purchased my tab around black friday 2010 and at the time there wasn't many cases available. This case was what was available and it worked. Now that there are better cases, I would look at other options. Some things I disliked:



1) You often had to push the tab back in to secure it, at least for me

2) There was no rear hole for the camera....big issue with me.

3) After awhile, the black strap seemed to be stretched out, although it did hold the cover shut.



I decided to go with another case about a month later, once new cases were released.

After reading other reviews I choose this case, and am very happy.

1) Case fits the Tab perfectly

2) Totally protects the Tab

3) Tab easy to remove if you want it out

4) Easy to hold and use while in the case

5) Can stand up in either typing mode or display mode, very useful.

6) The magnetic catch works well, holding the cover closed, but not so strongly as to be annoying.

The most important part of buying a case for your Galaxy Tablet, or for any electronic hand-held, for that matter, is determining exactly what you want from that case/protection to provide for you. I use my tablet, in large measure, for viewing video and general tablet type use. I didn't buy my tablet as a camera... although that's a nice feature. So far, the easel feature is perfect. It does precisely what I wanted without me having to carrying around an independent easel. This all-in-one function is perfect for video viewing and even typing and playing angry-birds. It holds the tablet at the perfect angle for these functions. (smile) Surely it would have been ideal to have a port for picture taking, but since that is not the case I took away 1 star, for that reason. Otherwise, I LOVE this case. Slight funky smell, coming mostly from the lining and not the leather. It will dissipate just like the new-car-smell does. Overall, this case provides excellent protection and functionality... IMHO. Just be sure you're buying what you really want to avoid disappointment. As I titled this review, this is a great buy for the money I spent. Retail stores sell cases in vinyl which cost more.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Accessories Accessories Accessories