Thursday 21 April 2011

Travel Coffee Mug - power converter, transformers


While this volt converter seems to work just fine when plugging in only one device into it at a time, having lived overseas now for years, I have grown accustomed to buying one, high voltage converter and plugging a 110v surge protector into it for use with an array of lower voltage devices or appliances. However, when you plug a surge protector into this converter, with nothing plugged into it at all, it blows the main circuit to the house every time. I have tested it with numerous differnt surge protectors and in several differnt houses and everytime, its the same thing. So, if, like me, you are looking for something you can use for plugging in multiple items at the same time, this item is not for you. Goldsource® ST-750 Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converter - AC 110/220 V - 750 Watt

I've bought this voltage converter with the KitchenAid KP26M1XER stand mixer which actually reqires 600 Watt for operating, since I'm living in Europe, I'm using this converter while using the stand mixer and it did the job so far... Works perfect when used for one machine at a time...

Got this converter to run my 220v AV receiver & powered sub here in 110v USA. Well it seems to work fine for now so we'll see down the track. One thing I didn't realise was that there is 1 x 110v output and 1 x 220v output on the front so for my two 220v appliances I have to use a double adaptor, not a big deal but I assumed the outputs would have been the same, either both 110v or both 220v.

I moved to the US from the UK, and took my PS3 and some other small electrical items with me. The PS3 won't work with a simple plug adaptor (the green light came on, but nothing happened), so I found out that I needed a voltage transformer. I bought this size (750W) because it has enough voltage to spare (apparently this is recommended).



The unit is smaller than I expected - I plugged it into the mains, plugged the PS3 into the UK power socket on the front, switched it on, and it all works



I leave it on for a few hours at a time and it runs very quietly (a very faint hum). I left it on overnight once while the PS3 downloaded content, and it was still running fine in the morning.



We have also used this with a food mixer we brought over from the UK.



Instructions were very clear - when it arrived I had to set it to transform from 110 to 240 - it was a simple matter of moving a pin on the back of the box.



It also came with 2 spare fuses

I ordered this product to convert from 110V to 220V.



When I got the delivery and opened the box, first thing I noticed is that there were NO soft materials in the box to protect this heavy-bulky item. Not surprisingly I found few of the boxe's 8 corners with dents and paint defects - probably caused during delivery (picture attached).

I could have returned it, but really needed to use it + it is going to be under a table so I just moved on with it, but this was a bit disappointing.

You would expect Goldsource to invest a bit more in packaging to protect the product.



The 110V/220V input plug was easy to set.



When coming to inset the power cable into the output socket, I found the socket was not very "friendly" and I had to use real force to enter the European plug into it.



There is one 110V output and one 220V output, which I do not see the point as I can not think of someone carrying this heavy box back and forth from a 110V state to a 220V state. I think the product should be either for 110V or for 220V, and add another one or even two more output sockets like they have on my "Seven Star" converter.



Bottom line: the box did the job and I was able to operate my device.

The product would have been better if it had a couple of more 220V output sockets, and the whole experience would have been better if I would have gotten a non-defected item.

I'm very disappointed with this product. It stopped working just few times after we used it. It's rated for a 750W power and we used it for a 500W appliance but the fuse melt down in its socket and now it can't even be removed.

The painting is stinking of a very bad solvent smell and I am surprised that such a product can be sold in US.

Nice converter for the price. Went a step up to this 750 Watt because it wasn't much more to have the extra wattage available. Of course with this comes extra size and weight! Not something you would want to pack in your bag a lug around, that's for sure. The included outlet adapter was a nice bonus (Although it's pretty cheap and difficult to plug in and retrieve from the recessed outlets). It's nice that you have everything you need to plug and play, but if it's not going to be in one place to stay, I would recommend getting a more user friendly adapter. The cord and transformer itself seem durable and well made. Voltage input selector on the back is easy to change, yet you would be out of luck if you lost the little piece for it. Consider securing it in some way. And even though the converter had a little rattle in it when I got it, I think everything is good! - Voltage Converter - Transformers - Power Converter - Relocation'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information