Saturday 5 March 2011

Headphone Accessories


I already have two "no name" inline volume controls, but I needed another. This Koss unit was no more expensive from Amazon than another "no name" from an electronics store, and I've been a big fan of Koss since the late 70s, so I bought it.



First, what it IS and ISN'T. This is a volume control, but NOT an amplifier. It will make your MP3 player, etc., quieter, but NOT louder. If your source is too quiet, look for a headphone amplifier.



When I used to listen to a cassette walkman it was easy to turn down the volume when I needed to. The volume control was a thumbwheel right on the player. I have several MP3 players now, and they all have hi-tech context sensitive controls. This means (for me, anyway) that I have to look at the screen to make sure the button or slide control is set for volume. This control solves that problem. Set the player for a volume slightly on the loud side and use the inline control to get comfortable sound. If you need to lower the volume (to talk to someone, for instance) you can use the volume control without taking your player out of your pocket.



This model has a three foot cord between the player and the volume control. This is nice if your player has an FM tuner -- MP3 players use the headphone cord as an FM antenna. My generic ones were only about 8 inches long and the FM reception suffered.



The control has a clip on it, so you can wear your player safely in a padded pouch on your belt and clip the volume control to your chest pocket.



A few reviewers have noted that lowering the volume attenuates high frequencies. I tried using the EQ settings on my player (I was also using Koss PortaPro headphones). When I had Bass Boost EQ settings I did notice some high frequency attenuation in both the Koss and generic inline volume controls; when the EQ was turned off I didn't notice as much high frequency attenuation, but the sound was very "flat." Anyway, I don't think I would have noticed it if other reviewers hadn't pointed it out.



An inline volume control is very handy for portable MP3 players, etc., and this unit is well thought out, and works great. Koss VC20 Volume Control

This is a surprisingly useful gadget, as it serves as an extension cord and volume control. The extension cord aspect adds about 3 feet to your headphone, which gives me a lot more room to move when I am listening to music on my computer. The volume control is handy when using a portable player because you can change the volume without jostling the player.

This is something you probably won't fully appreciate until you've had one for a while and then lose it. You may not need a headphone extension cord with an inline volume control. But once you get used to having one, you'll find the convenience and functionality are habit forming. The one I lost was in daily use for 3 or 4 years and continued to work well.

I use this on my computer. Yeah, there's software volume controls - but they require dropping out of whatever you're doing to set, and differ from program to program. It's far more convenient to be able to reach over and make a little adjustment without effecting what you're working on. Also, the sound quality isn't effected - I used to plug my headphones into a set of speakers to do the same thing, but it resulted in static and noise that degraded the music; this volume control retains the clarity of the music.

I had purchased a volume control at Radio Shack that worked reasonably well -- for about two months, when it broke. So I was looking for something of a bit higher quality. Good reviews here convinced me that this Koss product was just what I needed. Sadly, this is not for anyone who is even remotely an audiophile. When you turn the volume down it dramatically attenuates the high end, so music sounds not just quieter but also has a much narrower dynamic range. This item would probably last much longer than the cheap Radio Shack control, but the sound quality is completely unacceptable. So why do many people on Amazon give it high marks? I have no idea, unless they are listening to books on tape or something else that requires only low audio quality.

I purchased this item with a new pair of headphones for my wife and I to use with our laptop. The Koss volume control does exactly what it's supposed to and is a handy convenience to adjust volume quickly and easily. I didn't notice any signal degradation as a result of having the volume control plugged in-line with the headphones. If you need a little extra cord length then that would be an added benefit. My wife absolutely loves the convenience but I've concluded I could just as easily live without it.



Should you buy it? Just answer three questions and you'll have your final answer. 1) Would you prefer a little extra cord length? 2) In everyday headphone use, do you find yourself frequently adjusting the volume? 3) Do you have the extra cash to burn?



My wife answered yes to all three while I answered no. Did we keep it? You know what they say, happy wife, happy life. :)'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Headphone Accessories Headphone Accessories Headphone Accessories