Saturday 19 March 2011

Bicycle Brake Pads - pads, brake pads


I'm not an expert, but I've been impressed with these pads. My only past experience has been with cheaper no-name pads (usually whatever the local bike shop was selling at the time), but these are markedly better. My commuter bike (an older mountain bike) has crappy steel rims, so squeal has always been a problem, but these pads are noticeably quieter than the pads I've used in the past. They still make a bit of noise, but nothing obnoxious. They grip excellently and it only takes a gentle pull with two fingers on my V-brakes to make a quick, controlled stop. Of course, the performance isn't very good when they're wet, especially with my steel rims, but the channels seem to clear the water out pretty well and after a couple stops the performance improves noticeably.



I can't really comment on the life, but over the last few months I've been using them, they seem to wear about like average pads. They definitely don't wear as fast as some of the soft-compound road pads that Kool Stop makes.



Overall, I've been pleased with these pads. They are a bit more expensive than your basic pads, but if you really are after better performance, you can't go wrong. Kool Stop MTN Mountain Bicycle Brake Shoes (Threaded, Salmon)

My bike came with 'cheepo' Tektro V-Brakes and the pads wore out in one month of wet riding. I got these pads for the front wheel, in dual compound, and have ridden all summer in wet grass, muddy trails, and rainy commutes and they work consistently, no matter what condition. I've noticed much more braking power compared to the stock pads, and my tires usually run out of traction before my brakes start to fade. They also don't mar you're rims and tires with black stuff - none at all. No more brake grinding and rim wear either, just strong, smooth, clean braking all the time.



The only problems I've had are; my fork/wheels are very low-end, so occasionally, under hard braking the brakes shutter a little, making the front end shake. Also have occasional brake squeal, neither of these problems affects braking at all.



These pads do change the handling on the bike, have occasionally been tricky to use when I was getting used to them. They have tremendous braking power in the wet, and during straight line braking, on wet streets; I've locked up the front wheel and nearly crashed, but luckily was able to release the brakes and regain control, before I rode through a busy intersection. I've also slid out the front end going diagonally down a slightly wet grass hill when I foolishly grabbed the brakes hard.



Bottom line these are an exceptional product, and if you're considering upgrading to disc brakes, for the added power, modulation and wet performance, do try these pads first, they will change you're mind.

I installed these pads about six months ago. they do not seem to have any sort of bionic special stopping power to me. they work about as well as any other set I have had. I am happy with them for working ever time I need them and think they will last at least a long at any other set of pads.

These are nice break pads. I like the oversized look and the splash of color. They're longer than average so didn't fit inside my narrow front fork, but I was able to switch them around backwards (replace right with left) and they still work great.



Another reviewer commented that the curvature might be a bit much for 700c wheels. To my eyes they look just about right, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.



My old pads were Tektro P453's and these brake noticeably better without any squealing so far. Great product.

These have tremendous stopping power, and I have a commute in a very rainy place on a 7-10 percent downgrade, so I need good brakes. I've put them only on the back of my old hybrid commuter bike, waiting for my old front ones to wear out. They are much better than the pads that came with my Shimano V-brakes, and since they're not made of that black compound (I got the all-salmon ones), they do not make a mess on my rims and tires from the brake dust like my old ones. The first time I rode with them, I locked up my rear wheel on a steep hill from the braking force; I never could do that with my old brake pads. One really nice touch is that the side of the pad towards the back of the bike is mitered at an angle, so it actually "squeegees" any gunk built up on the rim (since that's the direction the rim is traveling towards the brake, if you think about it.) That, unfortunately DOES dirty up the outside of the pad itself (where you see the words "Kool Stop"), but better on the pad than the rim, right? My local bike shop did say they wear down faster than the black compound; I haven't had 'em long enough to determine that, but if I stop more efficiently, fine by me.



A superior product.

I but the Kool Stop mountain bike salmon brake shoes on a Schwinn cruised that I had put a 2 stoke engine on. The bike came equipped with coaster brakes and I felt I wanted a caliper back up brake set. The original brakes that came on the caliper brakes were not much more then nothing. At first I just ordered one pair for the front to see if they were any better then the original brakes. They made a vast improvement so I replaced the back brakes also. I would highly recommend these brake shoes They are well worth the money. - Bicycle Brake Pads - Pads - Kool Stop - Brake Pads'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bicycle Brake Pads - pads, brake pads bicycle brake pads Bicycle Brake Pads - pads, brake pads