Saturday 19 February 2011

Wireless Laser Printer - black and white, network laser printer


I bought this printer a few weeks back. So, my review can only attest to the initial quality and operation of the printer. When shopping for a printer, I wanted a small, wireless (i.e. WiFi enabled), laser printer that I could use on my home wireless network. This printer fits the bill.



Once I received the printer, setup was incredibly easy. You just hook the USB cable to your computer, follow the software prompts, and then the printer is suddenly connected to the WiFi network. That is the last time I used the cable. Now, when I hit print on my laptop, it prints wirelessly.



I also like that the printer is relatively quick (24 ppm) and prints clean, crisp laser prints quickly. For $99, this is great deal and I'm pleased with the purchase.



I'd recommend buying this laser printer over the all-in-one units. While those all encompassing units may be tempting, I think you end up with a better deal by buying this Samsung printer and then buying a high-quality scanner as a separate item. For instance, I bought a separate Fujitsu Scansnap scanner (also, a very compact item). It scans so much better than the scanner I have on the all-in-one that I bought a couple years ago. Samsung ML-2525W Wireless Mono Laser Printer

Very good printer overall. I just need to warn people...at least people with a mac...that the wireless setup is very tricky. Samsungs instructions don't work and the mac software and drivers on the disc also do not work.



What I did was I connected an ethernet cord from the computer to the printer and then used the IP setup software on the disc to locate the printer (I had to disconnect from all wireless networks to ensure I didn't confuse the setup).



You can get your computer's IP address in the Network tab of System Preferences. Using the IP setup software on the Samsung disc, select the printer and click the button to change settings (it looks like a gear). Change the IP address of the printer to that of your computer but change the last digit to something else( Ex: if the mac's ip is 1.2.3.4, change the printer's to 1.2.3.5). Once that is done, make the subnet mask identical to that of your mac (subnet is also in system prefs) and save the settings. Your printer will print out a confirmation page. Then, with the ethernet cord still attached, type in the printer's new ip address in Safari. You will then be able to access the printer's internal webpage.



Once at the website, click the Network Configuration on the left (mine is in French so the English may be a bit different). Then under that subheading, click TCP/IP. Then in what shows up, you need to change the printer from having a static IP address to using DHCP. Once you do that and save your settings, you should be able to print wirelessly using the ad hoc setting (meaning the computer has a direct wifi connection with the printer) once you connect to the "airportthru" network with your Airport card.



If you want the printer available on your home network, go back into the printer settings and select your network and enter your password. The printer will connect to your home network.



I hope this works for you guys. It worked for me and Samsung makes great products but has lousy support.

I bought a Samsung ML-2525W about a month ago for home use. Setting it up for use via USB cable was trivial; getting it up on my wireless network took a bit more fiddling. The instructions were difficult to decipher. I expect that a person who is not sufficiently computer savvy would need phone support to complete the wireless setup.



Once configured, the printer has been extremely easy to use. It prints quickly and quietly. Text looks great, with dark, thick toner coverage and sharp edges. It's better than the old Brother I replaced, and I thought that was pretty good.



No idea yet about reliability.

I have a Mac and this printer has been nothing but problems. It really is not made to work with MAC!!! I have been talking to Samsung about 18 times now and after two months of futile trials I have decided to donate this computer to a friend who has a pc, it may work for pc without a problem?



The most I got this printer to work for about a minute and then it goes off line mode, I have reinstalled the latest drivers numerous times and again it works for a bout a minute and switch itself to off line mode!!!!



Save your money and don't buy this printer, buy something else a Brother or Epson, etc

I have tried to set this printer up with my white iMac. It works to print one document, but then goes to sleep. Once it is asleep, my Mac is not able to wake it up. I have to reach behind the printer, unplug it, and plug it back in every time that I want to print anything. And on top of that, it will add on 5-10 sheets with random words to my print jobs, wasting both paper and toner. I have talked to the tech support people, as well as customer service people, from Samsung countless times. I have had several tech support people tell me that the waking from sleep problem is a known issue, but there is currently no fix. It is a firmware issue with Macs, and the newest firmware does not address this problem.



All I asked was that they exchange it for a comparable model that does not have this issue. The tech support people seemed to think that that was a reasonable request, and I have been forwarded to their "Executive Customer Relations" department many times. Finally one person said that I needed to have the printer looked at by a service center before I would be eligible for an exchange. I drove it the 20 miles away to the nearest authorized service center, and they found exactly what I expected. When plugged in to their Windows machines there was no issue. They also told me that this firmware issue with Macs was something that they have run in to before.



After I got it back from the service center, I talked to someone who said that they had approved my case for an exchange and that someone would call me from the appropriate department. That person called me while I was at work (because most of the non-tech support departments seem to keep hours only during the middle of the day when all of the rest of us are at work) and left a message saying that I should call him to set up an exchange for a new printer of the same model.



WHAT!?!?! I don't want the same model because it will have the same issues. SO... I called the number that he left me and it took me to the exec customer relations people. Again, they told me that someone from the exchange department would call me back. And THEN I HEARD NOTHING. So I called back again. And was told that the approval for my exchange had been withdrawn because all I needed to do was install the newest firmware and it should work. Well by this point I was STEAMING!! THEY CANCELED MY EXCHANGE?? WHO DID? NO ONE TOLD ME!?



Of course the firmware that I downloaded and tried again was the exact same firmware that I had already tried. So I called back and finally got a tech-support person to put me in the que for the product support rep for this model. And at this point I am just waiting for this person to call me. I have been waiting weeks to hear from him, and it has been over 2 months since I got the printer.



The moral of my rant is that Samsung's tech support is AWFUL!!!!! Just flat out awful. They have been rude to me, they don't return calls when they say that they will, and they are making me jump through a ridiculous number of hoops to get to talk to anyone that will help me. I should have just mailed it back to the original seller, but my dealings with the Samsung support jokers has pushed me past the 30-day exchange limit. At this point I basically have a 15 pound paperweight in my office, for which I paid $100. This is my last Samsung purchase,for fear that any time something does not work they will leave me high and dry. - Black And White - Laser Printer - Wireless Printer - Network Laser Printer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


laser printer Wireless Laser Printer - black and white, network laser printer