Friday 7 January 2011

Stovetop Espresso Pots - latte, espresso maker


Every family in Italy owns one of these machines. Here are a few tips:

1. In Italy this is NOT called an espresso machine, but a Moka machine. An espresso is what you would drink in bar made with a steam or high pressure machine with the crema on top.

2. Smaller size Moka machine tend to make better coffee.

3. Never wash the Moka with detergents, just rinse it under tap water

4. You've gotta use it often for a good coffee.

5. If you haven't use it in a while, make a weak coffee ("lungo") and discard

6. DO NOT put the MOka in the dishwasher.

7. Use drinking water. Avoid tap water especially if very chlorinated

8. Never compress the coffee.

9. For a strong coffee fill the filter with ground coffee and make a small cupola that slightly protrudes beyond the rim. Do not press down.

10. For best coffee, heat at very low heat. It's ok if it takes 10min.

11. As soon as coffee reaches the top, remove from heat

12. Do not let the coffee boil

13. Use good quality coffee, not too strong, medium grind (try Illy for a good commercial brand)

14. Sip while still hot, enjoy!



My wife and I have been spending a pretty penny at the local coffee shop, so I began looking for inexpensive home alternatives. Most of the coffee snobs claim you have to purchase a $200+ machine and $150+ grinder to have a decent cup of espresso. I turned instead to the frugal Italians. They did invent the stuff, afterall. My Bialetti Moka Express coffee pot came this afternoon. I was a little concerned that a $20 pot might not meet the high standards of the gourmet beverages wifey and I have become accustomed to. I was wrong. The brew made by this ingenious little pot is a little weaker than "pumped" espresso and lacks the foamy cap (crema) that all the snobs rave about, but mixed with some hot, frothed milk and a bit of chocolate syrup I couldn't tell the difference between Bialetti and Seattle's Best.



This rich brew comes from a tiny little aluminum contraption with no moving parts, no electronic gizmos, no pump handle and virtually no wait time or clean-up. You just fill, brew and pour. It's that simple. Its base only covers half of the stovetop's smallest eye and I expect it will be easy to store due to its diminuitive size. I've already had three cups of homemade mocha today, and I've only had the pot since noon! *jitter jitter* The point is this: If you're a coffee lover who is bored with Folgers from a Mr. Coffee drip machine or is spending way too much at Starbucks, the Moka pot is an inexpensive and easy-to-use alternative with excellent results.

***DO NOT OVERHEAT!***DO NOT OVERHEAT!***DO NOT OVERHEAT!***



There. I've done my good deed, and passed along the warning for the next person. Reading the translated-to-English directions, it's easy to miss this important cautionary note. In fact, it's not even IN the directions. It's written on the side of the box.



But fortunately, before my Moka Express ever arrived, I read another reviewer's cautionary note about avoiding HIGH heat (which can destroy the rubber gasket), so I didn't have any problem from the get-go.



And speaking of 'get-go' here's the deal. The FIRST time out (actually the second time, because the directions recommend that you dispose of the first batch), I had THE *BEST* ESPRESSO I EVER HAD. PERIOD. BAR NONE.



Using some Columbian coffee (that a friend had actually hand-carried from Columbia a few weeks ago), and setting my smallest burner (it's a ceramic-top stove) to just under "5" (10 being the hottest), the espresso that came out of this coffeemaker was INCREDIBLY smooth, and totally without the bitter taste that it can sometimes have.



If this is the result after using it ONCE, I'm looking forward to seeing how good it gets after I've had a chance to figure out the best combination of type of coffee/amount to use/fineness of grind/etc.



Also, for the price, it absolutely cannot be beat. The full pot yielded about six double-shots, so after just one use, it's almost half paid for!



I'm going to be drinking a lot more espresso. And cappuccino. And cafe-au-lait.



Oh well. Who needs sleep? It's overrated anyway! ;-)





-Jonathan Sabin



UPDATE... We put it in the dishwasher today.



DON'T make this mistake!



When we pulled it out at the end of the cycle, the shiny aluminum exterior had turned into a pretty ugly, uneven, dull finish. I'm sure it'll still work just fine, but it sure doesn't look as nice as it did before.



(ONE other review, among the 48 thusfar, mentions the dishwasher issue, but doesn't say why.)





UPDATE TO THE UPDATE... It's taken about 3 months, but a BUNCH of hand-cleaning has finally reverted our Bialetti to its former shiny state! It's STILL making the best espresso/cappucino I've ever had! - Latte - Coffee - Espresso Maker - Cappuccino - Stovetop Espresso Pots - Bialetti'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information