Friday 7 January 2011

Pet Screen Door - pet screendoor, dog door


These doors really do snap together, you just have to spread open the holes in the screen to fit over the tabs. If you have a metal screen, it would be difficult, but with the nylon screens it ain't no big thang. I have had several and they are easy! Then you have to gently tap the top half over the bottom with a small hammer. If you cannot take the screen out of the doorway or window frame, that would be difficult, but if you can lay the door or window on the ground, it's a snap.

These are nice and lightweight and they last. Pet Door Screen Large (Black) (16"H x 12"W opening)

We were installing this in our thick screen enclosing the pool area and it would not snap together over our screen. We were prepared for this since we had read other reviews saying it kept falling off, but it would not stay at all. We tried using plastic epoxy to hold it together, but it would not snap together in the first place so glue couldn't pull the sides together. We ended up using about 30 bolts and nuts to hold the two pieces together. We had to put them fairly close together because the pieces that were supposed to snap together just ended up holding the two halves apart. Then we painted those to match and it looks okay now, but it took hours of work and a few trips to the store to install.

This works great on my old screen door and I love it but I bought this one for my other screen door and it doesn't work I have the thicker screen for pets and children on this screen door and I'm sure that's why it will not stay snaped together. They are great if they work.

I bought this because I don't have a door that I can put a dog door in and this seemed perfect. I have a low window in the same wall as the backdoor that has my dog's house outside of that he climbs on so this seemed like a good idea. I built a small platform out of some scrap wood I had in the garage for him to jump up on to walk through to the roof of his house. Install was simple. I took the screen out of the window and laid it on top of one half of the door. I then used my fingers to push the small post like clips through the METAL screeen. Yes, you can deffinitly use this with a metal screen. I then placed the top half over the posts and used the palm of my hand to press everything together. A rubber mallet will make an easier install but my palm worked just fine.



HTH, Vinnie D

I initially just snapped the door onto the screen as advertised, but shortly after, it started to come off. When I took a second look, some strands of the screen were stuck between the snaps. Once I punctured those strands, I haven't had any issues with it coming loose. In fact, both my boxer dogs tried to come into the house at the same time and took out the screen door right off the tracks and onto the floor, but the door stayed on, which impressed me. Also, make sure the door flap is square to the opening before snapping it in place. I had to shave off some plastic on mine after I snapped it in at a little angle, but it works fine.

This is the 2nd home that I have used this door for pet access to our deck. It installs easily and works well. For people who have had a problem, you need to take the screen door out and lay it flat on a solid surface. If both sides are lined up it will pop right in place. I installed it on a heavy duty pet screen and had no problem.

I love this door, although it does have some problems. It did not work well with the pet screen because it would not stay together. I had to cut out holes around each piece that was supposed to snap together, I guess the pet screening is to thick to allow the pieces to snap together. It works great when it actually stays together but mine keeps seperating. The 2 pieces keep coming apart from eachother and I have to keep pushing them back together. I don't know why this is happening I snapped them all together using a hammer as indicated but they still will not stay. I will just have to come up with an idea to keep them together. Otherwise it works good, the dogs took a little while to get the hang of it but now they run right through.

BEWARE of rip-off shipping on this item! I ordered it using "1 CLICK ORDERING" and didn't know shipping would cost MORE than the product did! Surprize! You may find a better price elsewhere. This plastic door is NOT worth $35.50!!

Like a number of folks, we had to install it on a large, bottom screen that couldn't be removed. Thus we had to do the following:

A)Get two 12"-15" long scraps of 2X4 and one much shorter piece of scrap wood.

B)With someone on one side of the screen, holding one half of the door up against it where it is wanted, have them hold the lengthwise 2X4 piece against the top of the frame.

C)You are on the other side of the screen, holding your half of the door against your helper's. Tell your helper to NOT PUSH on their wood, just to hold it firmly.

D)You place your small wood scrap at the top and "hammer" with your longer scrap against it, compressing the two pieces of the door together.

E)Do this all around the outside perimeter of the door.

F)Then do only a couple snaps of the INSIDE frame (the part that will actually open later.)

G)Now cut the screen on 3 sides with a sharp knife.

H)Open the little pet door, and with a pair of large pliers carefully snap together the entire inner door halves. You need large pliers, so if you don't have any, go borrow some. Regular pliers won't reach as far back as you need.

I)Then go around the outer door halves and check they are as tight as you can get them using those pliers.

Another reviewer gave up trying to get the halves to snap while the screen was in place, like ours. He used some wire or ties to hold the pieces together. - Dog Door - Pet Door - Cat Door - Pet Screendoor'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


pet door Pet Screen Door - pet screendoor, dog door