Sunday 26 December 2010

Weather Radio - jwin, am-fm


I received this radio 2 days ago and it has hardly left my side. I am teathered to a dialysis machine 9 hours a day and use it in my bed. It appears well made with sturdy controls which are not easily changed by moving around in the covers. The digital display has a white background that alternates between time and station with the touch of a button. The white light can be used as a nightlight if desired. The display can be switched on and left on if you want. The tuning and voume switches are easy to operate. There are ten preset stations available for each am and fm band. Reception seems very good and sound quality for this size radio is acceptable. Stereo can be output to headphones but the unit returns to mono when the speaker is used. Other controls are small and could be difficult for someone with large hands to operate easily. There is a lock switch which prevents the accidental operation of other controls. I find no need to use it. The display is easy to read. The printing over each of the controls is medium gray on black background, small and difficult to read but once you get to know the unit should not be a problem. An a/c adapter is included. The unit is handsome but not something to show off. It looks and works as advertised. The instruction booklet is straight forward and simple. Radio is smaller than it looks in the picture and may not be as large as you expect so check the physical dimensions. If you need a radio for personal use (in the bed, office cubicle, or on your person) this one should fill the bill. jWIN JXM122 Portable AM/FM Weather Band Radio

jWIN is known for making many low cost products that are far less than what one would hope for. But when I saw the letters DSP in an ad for it, I thought I should try it.



The cons: AM has low sensitivity and there are internally generated noises on many stations. Memories are erased when batteries are changed.



The pros: FM and NOAA weather in the same radio, with excellent reception of both. I get NOAA weather & stereo FM up to 50+ miles, with telescopic antenna fully extended. Mono FM up to 85 miles for the 100,000 watt stations. YMMV. DSP permits reception of weaker FM stations adjacent to locals that don't use IBOC. Most of the radio can squeeze into my shirt pocket. Large digital frequency display with light blue backlight.



Features: 10 AM & 10 FM presets with direct keypad entry of frequency. Digital volume control 31 steps (volume 10 is about right for all but the weakest stations, when using headphones). The built-in speaker is of course small, but has fair sound quality with good volume. Requires 3 AA batteries, I use rechargeables. Definitely glad I bought it.

This radio worked fine for a few hours, and then the digital display broke down and I could not read the time or radio band numbers. I sent it back to Amazon and it was replaced with another new one. This one works fine, except for the AM band, which does not receive ANY AM band radio stations. I am fed up and will not mess around anymore, but just live with this radio the way it is.

Just got the radio, so I don't have a batery life rating; it does work with rechargables. I got this to replace an old portable radio. For the price, this JXM122 is a very good radio with digital tuning, AM/FM (10 presets on each)and the NOAA weather band is a plus. The sound is what one would expect from a small radio, it is not a stereo system. It works as advertised. The only minuses I found are with the instruction manual. In order to save your settings you probably have to plug it in with the included power adapter while changing the batteries (3 AA's), which isn't mentioned. Nothing is in the manual about the lock switch or the mode button, but it's easy to figure out what they do. Nor is anything mentioned if when pluged in, the battery power is disengaged (I would guess it is). It has a clock display, so I don't know why it doesn't have a wake-up to radio/alarm feature. Without a wake-up feature why have a clock running and using battery power when turned off? (Hello? jWIN engineers?) Overall, this was a good buy for me and probably for you too.

Nice size, campact. Adequate sound for a small portable radio. Don't know about the battery because I haven't had it long enough. Good reception in a place that is difficult for other portables. Love the digital tuning and scan. Excellent for the price.

I love radio and radios and I have a lot of them. The jWin JXM122 is one of my favorites for several reasons, the first being the reception. It recieves the nationl weather service broadcast clearly even with the antenna down. I've bought radios for over $100.00 that would not recieve the weather broadcast with three feet of antenna pulled up. Most of my weather radios recieve the NOAA station with a fair amount of static but this radio is nearly crystal clear. Also the size is nice. It's not too big and not too small. The backlight is very bright and the numbers are large and easy to see. The AM and FM bands are just fine and the controls are easy to use. It's nice to have presets. It's good looking and I like the styling. It looks like a much more expensive radio. The construction is good. Battery life is a bit better than average though I usually use the AC adapter that is included. I've had it about a year and it has not given me any problems. Great radio for the price. - Portable Radio - Jwin - Am-fm - Weather Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information