Wednesday 15 September 2010

Photography - photography, strap


A nasty fall some years ago left me in the hospital and gave me permanent difficulties carrying things around my neck. A pound is about my limit. My binoculars at 22 oz fatigue me. My DSLR weighs in at 3 pounds. Carrying it with a normal neck strap starts hurting within 20 minutes. A birder's shoulder harness helps a little but not much. Attaching a padded monopod and carrying the kit over my shoulder was my best answer before getting this strap. That's okay for hiking but awkward in any kind of crowd. With the BlackRapid strap on my camera. I can go out for half a day with just a little fatigue.



Obviously, you don't need a bad back to benefit from this strap. I'd recommend it for any heavy camera/lens combo. The wide padded strap that slings cross body does a very good job of distributing the camera's weight and keeping it inline with the body. The free swing of the camera on the connector allows it to fall - lens down - just behind my hip and out of the way. With a bit of practice it's extremely fast to get the camera up to eye level. It also offers pockets in the strap for extra memory cards, lens cloth or other small extras. Add in easy adjustment, secure, quick attachment and quality build and you've got a winner. This is a substantial and well made product.



The strap uses the camera's tripod socket to mount so you can't use quick release plates. The attachment fitting also keeps the camera from sitting flat on its bottom. So, if you're going to need a tripod camera mount, you're probably better off using a camera bag or a belt holster, which you probably already own. For a hand held shots, though, it's the best thing I've seen.



If you find your camera a bit heavy and your back aching at the end of the day, or if you just appreciate well made, designed and comfortable straps, then here's the most comfortable strap around. Black Rapid Straps RS4 Black Fabric, Lightweight and Low Profile, with ConnectR-2 and FastenR-2

I bought this product about 4 months ago and at first it seemed awesome. I loved the way the camera is slung over the shoulder with the grip facing outwards so that you can immediately grab the camera and snap a picture. Ergonomically and functionally it is great. However it has one fatal flaw.



The carabiner type connector that is between the metal connector that screws into the bottom of the camera and the strap is made out of metal. If you sit down with your camera in your lap the caribiner type connector will scratch your camera. I went on a two week vacation during which time I carried my camera around with me all day using the Black Rapid Strap. We would walk around for a while and then drive to the next location. By the time I got back home there was a deep scratch about 1 1/8 long and 1/8 inch wide on the bottom back right side of the camera. When I checked for potential contact between the metal connector and the camera the scracth matched up perfectly where the location the metal connector contacts the camera when seated. The scratch took the paint off of the camera body exposing the raw metal of the camera.



I contacted the store I purchased the product from and they are supposed to contact the makers of the Black Rapid Strap. Of course I have not heard anything back and what are they going to do, replace my camera body? Unlikely...



Pros:

1. Super comfortable

2. Peforms as advertised

3. Ergonomically great



Cons:

1. It will scratch your camera body and ruin it.



Given the price of a good DSLR camera body it is not worth it until the company realses a non-metal connector or a rubber coated connector....

I do a lot of street shooting and have grown to dislike the normal Nikon strap that comes with your camera. I saw a print ad about the Black Rapid strap and decided to try it out. Santa delivered it and I really dig this thing.

No more fumbling with the old style straps, twisting and tugging and having it swing back and forth on your hip.

With this strap my camera (Nikon D300 with a 24-70- pretty heavy combo) sits upside down on my hip or almost centered in the middle of my back. It takes the weight off your neck and sits very comfortably.

But, the true advantage is when you grab the camera with one hand, slide it up the strap, put camera to your eye and start shooting. No thinking, debating- just grab, slide and shoot.

I haven't really thought much of whether it is expensive or not, all I know is that I have finally found a great strap to take some of the awkwardness out of shooting with my camera.

Yeah it does make you wonder that with such a simple invention, why didn't I think of it, but you didn't,so get over it and enjoy your shooting experience.

Seeing the "trailers" put out for this strap, they turned me off to the idea. They were just so ridiculous, I didn't even want to support them (using cameras in a "gunslinging" competition, throwing a camera behind your shoulder (with the strap on) and having it come spinning around right back to you - throw in some cheesy effects/fast-cuts and it just came off as kind of stupid).



Fortunately, I decided to give it a chance and I was VERY glad I did. I've been using it for about 6 months now and love it.



My main concern wasn't discomfort with the included cameras straps, it's that I wanted something to hold 2 camera body besides wrapping both around my neck (or doing the "over the shoulder" trick). I looked into the Black Rapid Double Strap - For Two Cameras , but it had its drawbacks: you HAD to use 2 cameras or it'd be unbalanced (you would have to connect the empty side to your belt loop), plus it was a bit more limited when trying to shoot vertical (portrait) shots (if you watch the commercials, they always shoot landscape-style).



I decided to make my own Dual Strap by picking up a pair of RS-4s and going "cross-style" with one over each shoulder. I have to admit, it really works great!



Included is the actual strap (which has a "ConnectR" (caribiner)) and a "FastenR-2" (a screw-in piece that has a ring on the end). It's very simple - screw the FastenR into the tripod mount, and then connect the carabiner to the the ring. Earlier models had problems with the carabiner opening, but the new versions include a locking mechanism.



Connecting/disconnecting is very easy and most importantly, it feels secure (even with a high-end model, with flash, battery grip and long lens). The carabiner part is not tied to the strap, it runs freely alongside it so you can easily lift/lower it without adjusting the strap.



The RS-4 has a little zip-up pocket on it - this is good for holding any small objects you might have. The other models have larger pockets -- I actually prefer the RS-4's smaller one as it's much less bulky.



I looked at all the models and decided the RS-4 was the best for me.



The Dual-Strap version has the problems listed above, the RS-5 had a bigger pocket and the RS-7 has a "quick release" clip in the back which is a TERRIBLE idea, I think, as if it becomes undone, everything falls crashing to the floor. The RS4 has a solid connection throughout.



The system itself is very basic - a strap, a carabiner and a keyring with a 1/4" 20-threading on the other end. Because of this, many people are making their own off store-bought pieces and I think that's just a bad idea. If you're going to balance (and rely on it to hold) thousands of dollars of gear, do you really want to go cheap on the parts holding it altogether? There is always the chance of pieces breaking, but I'd tend to spend the cash and get the "real thing" than trying to make my own. - Digital Slr - Blackrapid - Photography - Strap'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Photography - photography, strap blackrapid Photography - photography, strap