Friday 13 August 2010

Metal Bars To Hang Files - hanging file folder bars, folder accessories


When I purchased this for my office I failed to measure the depth of the drawer. When it arrived the bars were much too long, a good 4in past the adjustable part. A coworker was able to use pliers to hold bar in place and bent the bar back and forth until it was the correct length. Super easy to adjust (even with my lack of measuring) and they work great. Smead Hanging Steel Letter Size File Folder Drawer Frames 2 Count (64870)

not "easy assembly, or ready to use." I wish I had known it would involve pliers ( those that can cut ) to make them fit the cabinets. Fortunately I had a set handy, but again, need a fair amount of strength to make the cut to allow these to work in standard cabinets.

While it is true that you can adjust the length, the pre-crimped tabs that you can snap off only allow you to adjust between 23 and 27 inches. In theory you can make it shorter if you feel handy, but you'll need some tools to do so. I used a pair of wire cutters to make my own crimp at the correct length and snap the rail off, so it did end up working, but the manner that I adjusted the length was not the way the manufacturer intended. While most commercial filing cabinets meet the longer length, the inexpensive ones (like mine) that you get at discount stores are on the order of 18" deep. The end pieces in my package were also a little bent so the finished assembly wanted to sit crooked in the file cabinet. In the end it worked fine, but left me a little unimpressed.

This product is great for converting old file cabinets with no hanging folder capacity. However, when Smead says that you can "easily snap the rods to the desired size", this actually translates to "you can bend-break the rods with some elbow grease and a vice grip (heavy-duty vice grip pliers)at each pinched interval".



Thought you'd want to know. Also, doing this bends the end of the rod, so you'll also need to use the vice grip again to bend it back into the proper shape.

I bought a file cabinet for my business and it did not have the hanging file system installed. These are a cheap way to get your hanging folders in standard filing cabinets. Easy to assemble, and pretty sturdy. I have probably 10 pounds of weight hanging on each one of these and they do not appear to be overly strained.



Highly recommended.

This is from a woman's point of view. This is a horrible product and I would never recommend it. The rail that has the notches....and you are just suppose to be able to break is absolutely ridiculous, I had to take the rails to a neighbor MAN and I thought he would never be able to snap them to the correct length. He ended up having to use a chisel and a hammer to get them off so IT ISN'T EASY TO DO. I still haven't been able to put the frames together. I would NEVER, NEVER buy this product.

This item works great for the price. There was a bit of cutting because the bar was too long even after breaking it off at the perforated end. I am handy with tools so there was not a problem at all. You will pay 4 times the amount of this product if you go to an office supply store.

This is a Smead product that fits perfectly in my HON 2 drawer file cabinets. I bought 2 boxes with 2 frames in each box for a fraction of the co$t that one file hanger would have been had I purchased it from my local Office Depot or even WalMart. The quality of this product is every bit as good if not better. Breaking the hanger sides down to fit was not difficult. Just use a straight edge to bend (up & down several times to break it) at the preferred mark for the length size of the drawer. The only tool I used was a flat blade screw driver to tighten down the side runners to the front and back stand. Easy Peasy! - Hanging File Folder Bars - Hanging File Folders - Folder Accessories - File'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Metal Bars To Hang Files - hanging file folder bars, folder accessories hanging file folder bars Metal Bars To Hang Files - hanging file folder bars, folder accessories