Friday 20 August 2010

International - cooking, horror


In 1971 I met my gourmet mentor in Kentland Indiana and at that time, she introduced me to "Vincent" -- the wonderful cookbook she acquired some time earlier. It was truly "love at first bite". Her favorite dish was "Coq au Vin Rouge a L'Avergnate" which is the gourmet/French name for their Chicken in Red Wine. Truly an awesome dish! So many family favorites -- "Paella Good Friend", "Luchow's German Pancakes", pfannkuchen, "Poularde Pavillon" (chicken in champagne sauce) and the blender Hollandaisse sauce. All of the recipes I've used out of this cookbook, and they have been many, are precise as to ingredients and measurements, and all of the necessary steps are spelled out for the more novice cook. From the moment I was introduced to "Vinnie" (as my family refers to him today), my love for gourmet cooking has grown and expanded. When I'm looking for a recipe to really impress dinner guests, it's always Vinnie that I choose from. He & I have been together since December of 1971 when Santa bought him for me. I wouldn't trade that experience, the adventure in gourmet dining that we've enjoyed for all these years, for anything. I've given so many copies of this book to my dearest friends, to young brides -- it's truly a gift that keeps on giving! Enjoy!! A Treasury of Great Recipes

I first borrowed this book from a friend in college. The recipes range from moderate to time-consuming in difficulty(especially when you're limited to a convection oven and a couple of hot plates) but everything was clearly explained step by step. I tried several recipes(and wrote them down) before returning the book. They all came out both delicious and impressive. The "Chicken in Champagne Sauce" and "Boccone Dolci(Sweet Mouthful)" are alone worth the search. I look forward to being able to put it on my shelf with my other cookbook "staples" and try many more of the recipes. This belongs next to my "Joy of Cooking" and the Silver Palate books.

We received an original copy of this cookbook, first printed in the 1960's, when a friend cleared out her cookbook collection. We cannot recommend this book highly enough! Not only is it entertaining reading, with glimpses of some of the world's finest restaurants, but the recipes themselves -- while challenging and top caliber -- are clearly written, with easy to follow directions. It is hard to find a cookbook that describes preparing a dish with fresh truffles in the manner of a French chef, but yet is not intimidating -- this is that book!

I have been collecting cookbooks for nearly forty years (I was 18 when I started) and of the over 800 books that I have collected, Vincent and Mary Price's A Treasury of Great Recipes is easily number one. It is not only a great recipe book, it is beautifully pictorial and delightfully anecdotal. I have given at least two dozen of them as gifts when they were available.

My parents gave us this cookbook in 1965 and it's still on my kitchen shelf. Vincent Price was the king of horror and it was such a surprise to find that he was a genial man with a nice wife and that they were "foodies" before the term was invented. The cookbook takes us to Europe, Mexico and the U.S., with recipes from famous restaurants abroad. Then we are invited to the Price's gournet kitchen with advice from A to Z: how to make a Bloody Mary and fold a napkin along with cooking special hot dogs and making brown sauce.



Over the years we have particularly enjoyed the recipe for Colcannon, Caesar salad, and Blue Cheese Salad Dressing which I make all the time. The Yorkshire pudding is excellent.



I recommend this book to anyone who is into the history of food, from when we went from Campbell's mushroom soup casseroles (hey, some are still good) to a serious respect for various cuisines and fresh ingredients.

This is a book with some of the best recipes in the World collected by an amateur Chef who could easily be a Profesional Chef. As a Master Chef and a Certified Chef de Cuisine I have used many of the recipes in the book with the most wonderful results. The satisfaction by my clients has been overwelming andmost satisfactory. Many of my clients have commented that they did not have the special dinner since they were in the restaurant they visited many years ago.I lost my copy and would love to get it again.Eddy Consenheim, CCC. MCFA.

This is a book that you want to read from front cover to back page. The recipes are easy to follow and gives you an idea of how the "elite people" ate, but yet most are not out of reach to fix in your kitchen.

I've had my copy of this book since the 1970's. Its recipes are superb and not beyond the capabilities of a good cook. My favorite is the Fetuccine alla Buranella on page 103-104, an absolutely decadent exploration of pasta and seafood. This is one book emminently worth the price. And along with stupendous recipes are fun descriptions of the restaurants that originated the dishes as well as menus, complete with prices. At Sardi's you could get a steak for $4.85!

My parents received this book in 1965 with the purchase of a refrigerator in Boulder, Colorado. Since then it has become a staple of meals in my family. Our traditional Christmas dinner is, Roast Beef and Yourkshire Pudding (pgs. 156-157). Can't possibly beat it! I am fortunate to have received an issue from my parents in 1975 for Christmas. I hope amazon.com can locate at least three issues that I can give to my brothers and sister. Truely a treasure known as "The Bible" in a family of gourmets.

One of the reasons this has become a classic is not merely the recipes. This book captures an entire lifestyle -- the Kennedy-era, globe-trotting, Pan Am, waiters in bow ties, gourmet lifestyle.



This is a Mad Men book.



Everything about this book screams "gracious dining." The Prices in their kitchen with gleaming copper pots. The reproductions of pages from vintage menus. The word "Luncheon." The two-color pen and ink illustrations. The padded leatherette binding with two silk bookmarks.



This is not to say that the Prices are snobbish. They're cultured. The scope and level of detail in this book is loving and extraordinary. - Gourmet - Cooking - Horror - International'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


International - cooking, horror international International - cooking, horror