Saturday 26 June 2010

Wood Carving - carving, sharp


I use Two Cherries chisels myself, however I wanted to get these for my son for his first set. I was very pleasantly supprised with the quality so I decided to write this review. I tried them out and the steel is suprisingly good, they are not thick and clunky like other "beginner" sets, and they are very nicely and accurately ground, fairly sharp and seemed to hold their edge. (Of course I would not expect any chisel to be perfectly sharp out of the box - except perhaps a Cherry). The handles are nice, although not intended for hard use. The profiles are good for a beginner.

These are good enough that I am planning to get another set of these for myself, and the larger sizes also - one can never have enough different profiles... for the price of less than one Two-Cherries chisel.

These chisels are made in Tiawan, not the mainland - and it shows. Wood Carvers Basic Tool Set With Straight Handles- 6 Piece

I am a beginner when it comes to wood carving but I can say this set is worth every penny. I bought a basic set when I first started and they are not even close in quality to this six piece set. I have carved a complete table top and they are still sharpe. I haven't figured out how to use all of the gouges yet...but the others make up for it ten times. They cut through the wood with ease compared to the other beginner sets I have. 5 Stars!!!!!

these wood cutting tools are great fun, and are still as sharp as ever 6 months after purchase. only the v-wedge has dulled a bit. the metal shanks do not slip in their handles. so, surprising quality for such a good deal.

I love these carving tools. I needed them through my first class of printmaking where we did wood-blocks and I didn't need to sharpen or replace them once in the entire semester - fantastic. These are clearly good quality, and I'm still using them for my other side-projects.

These are good quality steel and made in Taiwan. They are really sharp, be carefull with the flat one and the angled wedge one. The flat one slipped and went right through my leather glove and (thankfully) only a small part of my finger before I could recoil. Don't use them if you are tired or if there are bugs flying around you.



You should sharpen them if it gets hard to press, cause they really shouldn't require much pressure to cut. I was carving white oak and it worked pretty well, which I think is a good test of how sharp and durable they are. Maybe oil them a bit every now and then cause they are carbon steel, which is better for durable cutting edges but not as good for stain and rust-resistance.

Well to start I think the set was going to be just another old set that I would use till I could upgrade. But to be honest I really am suprised at the quality of the tools. Which means they will not just sit they will actually just be an extention of any new sets to come. Not to mention how sharp most of them were when I got them out of the box. I did on the other hand have one tool that could have been sharper. Although for the price I paid i can deal with that. Also a quality sharpening system is a must for anyone that wants to carve for more than a phase. So anyone thinking of buying this item for a gift might want to concider getting a sharpening stone.One that is medium on one side and fine one the other would be my advise. But who ever might get these will enjoy them I would think. And as for the 5 stars.I figure for the price paid and the quality I got and the only downfall I seen was one not being as sharp as the rest i will go 5 stars. - Chisel - Carving - Sharp - Wood Carving'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wood Carving - carving, sharp wood carving Wood Carving - carving, sharp