Wednesday 9 June 2010

Stationary Bike - compact, exercise


I bought this thing because I wanted something easy to put together, cheap, and where I can use it while watching TV. This has been perfect for that! It's been 2 months, and I've had many days where I'll take this little thing out, turn on the TV, and just go. When I'm done 30 minutes later, I'll put it away in my closet easily. I've even added some 5 lbs. dumbbells for assistance.



I will totally acknowledge that...

...if you're looking for a vigorous workout, this won't do it.

...if you're looking for all-inclusive sports equipment, this isn't it.

...if you're looking for something that'll count your calories or time for you, this won't do it. (It comes with a timer, but it's nothing special.)

...if you're looking for something to replace your daily workout, this isn't it.



However, if you're looking for a cheap option that will complement your regular exercise routine while sitting, this is a great option. Stamina 15-0120 InStride Cycle XL

You can use this thing for about 30 minutes before it gets too hot and starts to squeak horribly. You can tell it's from overheating because the pedal arms get too hot to touch! We have two of them bought from amazon and we took them apart to see if we could lubricate the mechanism (not easy to do) but with wd40 and lithium grease it still squeaks like you're strangling a goose. The manufacturer has a laughable return policy requiring original packaging, packing slips, paid shipping and mandatory insurance which makes it not worth it to try to return and therefore not worth buying if you are worried about the noise. OTHER than all that, it works fine.

One day I decided to stop sitting slovenly at my desk getting fatter by the day and actually do something about my health. After two months of pretending I might go to the gym, then not, I ordered this little cycle.



First off, let me say that I use it on a very low-pile carpeted floor and, as sent from the factory, it perpetually slipped. I fixed this with some superglue to the footcaps and haven't had that issue since.



Second, like others, I found that after 5 or 10 minutes of use it would overheat and squeel loudly. A trip to my local hobby store netted a bottle of liquid graphite (the same stuff used to lube the wheels on pinebox cars), and again the issue was resolved.



So, after conquering the (I can only assume deliberate?) design challenges by the manufacturer, I've been using this little guy for several months with great results. Of course it's a terrible substitute for a real workout, and yes I will probably go to hell for implying otherwise, but for people like me who will only really choose between "do little" or "do nothing", this is a great little something to do.

As I suffer from a neurological disease that affects my motor function, I am not able to do much in the way of exercise. For this reason, I ordered this product. I find it quite useful. Although I know that I am not burning nearly as many calories per unit of time as I would on our elliptical machine, I am moving! I have not experienced much noise with my unit as some others have complained and am easily able to have a conversation or watch T.V. while I am cycling. I have noted that this product is easiest to use at a slight angle or semi-reclining position i.e. it is not easy to do while sitting upright at a computer, but easier while lounging back in an easy chair or on a couch. Overall, I am glad that I purchased this product. I have read that Mayo Clinic studies have shown that this type of mild exercise done frequently is even more effective than strenuous exercise done in small amounts.

Low impact, but will make the burn if you work it. I use it during the summer time when I can't get outside due to the heat. You can sit on the edge of a bed or chair and peddle away in an air conditioned room. Doesn't take up a lot of room to use. It takes a moment to get use to the foot and peddle action, you are not pressing down like on a bike but forward. Great for elderly or someone who is just starting out their routines. You do not need to stand up to use the product. Therefore, not alot of pressure on your knees. Very sturdy, even if you are over 300 lbs, since you are not standing on the machine it will work for you. Can be used under a desk at work, make a little noise. Works on the legs and moves the blood, great for the numb butt. It does not take up much room for storage, about 2'x 2'space. Easy to put together. Not what I recommend for traveling, it is alittle heavy. But a wonderful work out machine to use while listening to your Ipod !!

Stamina 15-0120 InStride Cycle XL I am a senior with compromised leg muscles due to old polio. I hoped this device would provide a simple way to limber up my legs in the morning. However, I discovered that it has a pedal radius of 4". Normal exercise machines and adult bicycles have pedal radii around 7-8". Using this machine is like pedaling a kiddie cycle. It gives me some limbering, but not enough range of motion to really do any good.

I bought this product for my 90 yr old mom who enjoys walking, but often is unable to due to the weather or tiredness. Looking at the product online, I really was not expecting much - just a simple machine for my mom to use occasionally when she is watching TV or otherwise unable to walk.

That is exactly what I got. Simple to assemble, simple to use. Anyone would really be hard-pressed to get fit and buff from this machine. Basically it just keeps my mom a little limber in arms and legs and occupy her interest for a few minutes each day.

I can see a usefulness in the middle of an office day where you can keep one under your desk and do a modicum of leg exercises to mildly keep your legs toned. That's it.

You don't get much and do not expect much. But for what it can do, it's not bad. - Compact - Exercise - Exercise Bike - Affordable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Stationary Bike - compact, exercise exercise Stationary Bike - compact, exercise