Wednesday 23 June 2010

Jobsite Radio - cd players, 2009 amazon frustration-fre


I saw this device on job-site not too long after it was released. I had to search around to find it, now it's for sale everywhere.

Pros:

-cage allows it to be chained down with ladders and job box.

-cord wrap keeps cable tidy when not in use.

-light weight.

-square shape lets you stack it on a two wheeler (unlike the DW & Mil).

-snap-down CD tray keeps discs from jamming if you tip it or crash into it with a skyjack.

-EQ was designed to be LOUD and fill a room with sound (see cons).

-on-board GFCI cleans up cable clutter.

-12v output and mini-jack input lets me tie in an i-pod or other gear.

-battery charger cabinet holds 8-9 CD jewel cases for safe transport!



CONS:

-EQ was not designed for the audiophile carpenter. If you want booming lows and tight high-end, buy a Bose Wave Radio and hope you don't trash it.

-no line out jack for sending to a transmitter or other device.

-FM reception is garbage, I use CDs and MP3s unless we are listening to AM.

-backlit display is not designed for viewing above horizontal. If you have the box setting on the ground, you must tip it back (or lay on the floor) to read the display. From above you see all possible icons.

-volume control doesn't give you much room for subtle music. I normally keep it on 1 or 2. Volume is electronic with a momentary up-down control via a shuttle knob (on the left)

-GFCI doors flip up, so you have to tip the unit to the side to see the plugs for mating. I just tore the doors off after a while. I figured, why have rain lids? I work indoors well after the job has been dry.

-all of the nooks and crannies on the molded case collect a LOT of dust and debris.



HINT!

The antenna is discretely hidden in the round top handle. I disassembled the unit, cut the antenna lead to the handle and soldered it to a retractable antenna (from my local RadioShack) that I attached easily to the top of the main shell. I do not reccomend this procedure, but I can tell you, it SIGNIFICANTLY increased my FM reception. Factory-Reconditioned Bosch PB10-CDR-RT Power Box Advanced Job Site Radio with CD Player and Remote Control

New-----

I Read the reveiw about the new antenna and ordered the unit. It's well worth the price. And now reception is as good as any other radio out there. It's playing CD's and MP-3's as I type. and I get all the stations I need on the radio. Kudo's to Bosch for the quick fix. I wish I could increase the actual rating, 5 Stars, no question.

--------



I saw the radio in the store and had it in my cart. I thought I should read the reviews prior to purchase and put it back. After reading the reviews I went back to home depot and with the Dewalt on one side and the Milwaukee on the other I performed the reception test. Don't buy the Bosch. I'm a great fan of their tools but the Bosch would not pick up ANY FM stations while the others would tune clearly to 8-10 local and not so local stations.



The Good- The MP3 function puts 11 hours of music on a disk, and with 12vdc and 4 outlets of GFCI It's still a good tool. I may need to take it apart to put an external antenna on it tho'

I've been waiting for this to be released, and finally I found one at my local Lowes store. It's larger than I thought, but I guess you have to be big to be all the things this thing is.A few thoughts:1>Bosch sound - actually kind of amplified trebly, as opposed to a bass boost - which is what you expect from a sound boost option. EQ settings also amplify the sound to different degrees.2>Power cord is a bit short for the unit to truly act as a remote power strip, which, with the gfci outlets - you get the idea that's what Bosch had in mind.3>I was hoping I could use the 12volt outlet to charge my phone with the 18volt bosch pack - but it only works when plugged in...4>Some had said that the internal antenna is a little weak - I guess I'd agree, sometimes you have to turn off the stereo option to lose some of the static.5>I was hoping for a bit more bass overall, but then I'm coming from a JVC Kaboom box - which rocks, But the Powerbox is not too bad, it puts out a nice loud sound - loud enough for all my uses as a boombox.6>The manual doesn't specify how long it should take to charge the battery - it seems to take a lot longer than my standard charger.I'd definitely buy it again, but then I'm committed to the Bosch 18Volt platform. I look forward to being able to put an MP3 CD in it with 100 or so songs - nice feature. I also use it with my iPod directly hooked up to it. I do wish it was a bit smaller/lighter, but it does seem to be built like a tank, so I'll quit whining. I'm looking forward to the future 18Volt products Bosch will release, as the basic 4 piece kit plus the planer and now the Powerbox are all very well designed and made.

The newest version of the Bosch Power Box is a winner. The poor ratings in other reviews refer to the original version of this unit. I am listening to it as I type. Sound quality and radio reception are now strong points for the new PB10-CD.



The new model includes many upgraded audio features including separate bass and treble controls, remote control, speaker upgrades with separate tweeters and strong clean sound. The built-in CD player is great on CDs I burn myself as well as regular CDs. Bosch is offering a free IPod dock for a slick set-up to satisfy us IPoders.



On the job site, the GFCI is super handy and the square roll cage lets you sit on it, stand on it, stack on it...things you can't do with the "boom box" units from other vendors. I do not use Bosch cordless tools, but I still appreciate the battery charger on the Power Box. Whenever you plug it into an outlet, the battery I purchased separatly recharges and is good to go where there is no AC power.



The feel of the controls is excellent and you can tell just by touch that this is a quality product. Just be sure you buy the new "Advanced" model with the folding rubber antenna and the keychain remote control. You will not be disappointed!



Update After 10 Months...I revisited the reviews on this unit and it seems to have the widest range of opinions of anything listed by Amazon. After using the Power Box for about a year, warm weather...cold weather...whatever, I still find it to be an absolutly great job site piece of equipment. I live in Minnesota and have NO cold weather issues. It still sounds great, no skipping or reception problems and charges Bosch batteries completely. I wish all my equipment worked as well as this radio. - 2009 Amazon Frustration-fre - Boombox - Tools - Cd Players'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Jobsite Radio - cd players, 2009 amazon frustration-fre cd players Jobsite Radio - cd players, 2009 amazon frustration-fre