Wednesday 23 June 2010

Black And Decker - cordless drill, lithium ion


This thing is very powerful. The battery life is excellent, the charger has the second battery ready to use long before the first one is drained so you never have to wait for a battery to be ready. Lithium ion batteries are almost weightless and even working overhead is no problem with this drill. In fact, it is almost as light as my corded drills but with even more power. I believe this is the best cordless tool Black & Decker has made yet. If I were to change one thing about it, though, it would be to put a 1/2 in chuck on it since it easily has the torque to use larger bits. Black & Decker LDX120SB 20V MAX Lithium Ion Drill / Driver with Storage Bag

After playing with it, after charging (took awhile) its first job was to run some 3/8 lag bolts into studs. I was playing with the clutch and didn't care to listen to it ratcheting, so I bumped it up to 10. I ran the bolt in but did so effortlessly I wondered if it was tight. Without getting a wrench to check it with, I rolled the clutch off and locked it down into 1-1 and promptly snapped the head off the bolt as soon as I touched the trigger. Wow! Now agreed, it was just a hardware store grade II bolt, so the rest of them I pulled out the grade 5's and I believe it would have twisted them as well, but I had wised up.



Very small and very well balanced with the battery in place, and I'd agree that it could use a 1/2" chuck but the drill should last from now on with the 3/8", so rather than fitting a 1/2 to it, I'm going to let it live as is and see how it lasts.



I'm a little concerned about the odd voltage, this is the first 20v I've ever seen and hope it isn't something that's history next year or the year after, and obsolete.



I forgot my giant gripe with this tool: If you're gonna put a light on it (great idea) at least fix it where it points towards the work, not inches underneath. This disappoints me, why do these companies quit right when they're about to hit a home run??? It's not enough to keep me from liking or regretting buying it, just do it right-------guys!!



Very impressed so far, I hope that impression stands the test of time.

I originally purchased a Rigid 12v Lithium Ion drill from Home Depot because of it's compact size and lightweight. I really wanted to like the drill, but it lacked power, smelled of burning motor when under load and didn't seem like it would serve my needs. I returned it and bought the B&D LDX120SB 20 Max Lithium Ion Drill. I have always been happy with B&D cordless tools so I decided to try this one. PLEASE NOTE: I have only used the drill for one day, so I can't comment on it's long term durability.



It is very light and compact. The only difference in size over the Ryobi is the battery pack at the bottom of the handle. This is not all bad as it is well balanced, and the flat surface allows the drill to stand up. It's weight is still very light and the drill is still quite small even with the battery.



The drill seems very powerful and the battery seems like it will provide power for a long time (which it better because it only comes with one battery). I used it to build a firewood box and it was comfortable to use with plenty of torque and power. Using it outside in near freezing temperatures did not seem to affect the battery power.



I was concerned that the speed rating was only 650 RPM's, where a lot of drills are rated to 1200-2000 RPM. The speed of the drill did not seem slow and I could drill and drive screws with no problem at all.



Pros:

-Light and compact

-Excellent power

-Well balanced

-Useful light

-Adjustable clutch

-Solid Chuck

-Has convenient bit holder for one bit



Cons:

-Only comes with one battery (This is a new line of B&D products and extra batteries are not yet available).

-Slower top speed than other drills (May be a problem for some applications, but I found it more than adequate).

-Additional tools are not yet available (knowing B&D I am sure they will be soon).

When i received this, I was surprised at how small it actually is, but don't think that this is a bad thing. It packs a lot of punch. It's very light to hold above your heard and use repeatedly. The battery took a long time to charge, which I will take means it will take a very long time to discharge, especially since it is a Lithium Ion battery. The grip feels very good in my hand as well.



Pros:

-Light weight and balanced nicely

-Very powerful

-Heavy duty battery that doesn't add too much weight.

-Black and Decker brand comes with a certain level of quality itself.



Cons:

-Took along time to charge from dead (although this shouldn't be much of a problem if you just let it charge overnight or something)

-This is the reason I didn't give it five stars: For being a 20v drill, I would have like to see a bigger chuck, since it definitely has the torque necessary to handle larger drill bits.

-My own personal opinion, but I would have rather had a hard plastic case instead of a zipped bag with handles to carry it around in.



My recommendation: Buy!!

tired of hiring people to do little side jobs for me. Im a 51yo female and it was high time i got one of these. after a little online search i found this to be the best for my use. the price is great. the item is light enough for me to use AND not feel my hand is giving out. I u-tube'd how to use cordless drills and have already put up shelves in the laundry room (after having HDepot cut the wood for me) I saved easily the cost of the drill by putting up my own shelves! (also w/ help from u-tube) B&D your drill is EXCELLENT! it holds a charge nicely and the power of the drill is even more than i might ever need! THANK YOU B&D for making a powerful affordable and light weight product, even women can love! on my way to add a door sweep with my new drill (saving me another $20 i dont have to pay the handy man!) I AM LOVING THIS TOOL!! - Cordless Drill - Lithium - Lithium Ion - Cordless Tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Black And Decker - cordless drill, lithium ion cordless tool Black And Decker - cordless drill, lithium ion