Wednesday 16 June 2010

Ipod Audio Recorder


I haven't had nearly as much trouble with this recorder as some of the other reviewers, but I can corroborate stories of some of its flaws. It's designed to be quite sensitive but that often leads to distorted recordings, especially if you have to try to record someone over speakerphone. If you don't press record within a few seconds of plugging in the unit, the iPod goes to sleep and you've got to do the two-finger reboot, which is inconvenient and might cost you the beginning of your interview. And I, too, have heard some hard disk access noise on some of my recordings. (I haven't had issues where it failed to record at all--not yet, anyway.)



However, those issues have been minor compared to the hassle this little unit has saved me. As a journalist, I've used this for a year to record interviews on my 3G iPod and found it to be a lifesaver--it's much more convenient than using a tape recorder, and I can record for well over an hour without worrying about running out of tape (just this past week, I recorded four hours of interviews almost non-stop, then recharged my iPod that night and did it again the next day). The microphone works well if you're in a room full of people and you cannot place the recorder in front of any one person--just stick it in the middle of the table and you'll get everybody, as long as they don't scream or mumble (same issue as tape, really). And since the recordings save as 8-bit, 8K WAV files, they're easily burned to disc for archiving and/or handing off for transcription.



This is not designed to record music or anything with great dynamic range. It is, as its title states, a voice recorder, so if you're looking for something with high fidelity, don't buy it. For dictating notes to yourself or recording conversations like I do, it works quite well.



I guess my experience has been fortunate, because I can't complain as much as many other users--but I'd also be interested in an improved model with the features others have mentioned they'd like. A jack for an external microphone, some sort of attenuation control...an on-screen meter to monitor the input level would be extremely helpful. Flaws and all, I'd buy it again if it got lost or stolen; I'm not going back to tape. Belkin Voice Recorder for iPod (White)

I give the Belkin voice recorder a 3 star -- middling -- rating. But, I would give the commenters who have made unfair complaints about this device zero stars, if possible. There is a pattern here. People who used the voice recorder for its intended purpose -- recording memos or conversations -- usually like it. Those who used it for a purpose not recommended -- usually recording music -- dislike it. A voice recorder is not a cheap way to make recordings of music or other delicate sounds, folks. If that is what you intend to use the Belkin voice recorder for, do not buy it.



The Belkin voice recorder is superior to the software and hardware voice recorder on my Tungsten C PDA. That software retails for about $100. But, the recordings from the Belkin device sound better. And, I can listen to them with dual earphones instead of the monos PDA voice recorders require. So, if you are a person looking to step up from that situation, as I was, the Belkin voice recorder is a solution.



There is another alternative. Buy yourself a stand-alone voice recorder. However, they run between $150 and $300 for the good ones (usually by Sony). So, I doubt that the cheapskates who are complaining about this iPod peripheral will go there.



In summary, if you need an add-on that will allow you to do voice recording on your iPod, this no frills device is adequate. If you are looking for something more, like the singers, preachers and would-be record producers on this thread, this is not the item for you.

"Voice Memos" are saved in mono WAV files which means it will fill up your iPod much faster than if it had the capability to be saved in MP3. In mono WAV format, I find that 1 minute of recording is equivalent to a 1MB file.I like the recorder for what I need to do-which is simply to hear meeting/lecture conversations again but not to reproduce or publish them. I've used it in one on one conversations and in an auditorium. It did excellent in the auditorium. But if you record voices too closely to the mic, it doesn't regulate the peaks well. There is no gain control so if you are recording someone who speaks loudly, you will get a bit of this ..zzzzz. vibration due to high peaks. I could imagine this could be a problem for those who are going to use it for reproduction. It's still a genius addition to the iPod. I got what I needed.

Let's go through the few pros before discussing the cons:*It's small.*It's an ergonomically sound shape, all things considered.*It has a microphone.*You can record to your iPod directly.*I got it for really cheap.*Useful when it works.*Does not mess up on long recordings(22 minutes I have done without breaking a sweat, i.e. having to reset the 'pod).Cons:*Picks up a significant amount of sound when the iPod's hard disk spins. (Inevitable, but a bother.)*Very low definition/low quality recordings.*Freezes the iPod constantly, requiring a reset.*Occasionally the iPod must be reset for it to turn on after using the recorder.*High MSRP/SRP for what you get.*Records to WAV.*Distorted recording if it is sitting on my desk and I talk loudly into it(about two feet away).*Does not do well with background noise(it picks up all of it and sounds terrible).*Belkin cannot justify it being a bad quality device(phone support tells me that the only stipulation of the device is that it requires iPod firmware 2.1 or higher).*Sometimes does not record.*Sometimes says it's recording but actually isn't.*Sometimes illuminates recording light when it isn't actually recording.Okay, so WAV format I can deal with, but crappy recording quality I cannot deal with. Belkin, you have failed. Maybe it's just that it's difficult to make a functional, integrated voice recorder that's good quality... for the iPod. I don't hear great raves about the iTalk by Griffin, so maybe this is the case.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Ipod Audio Recorder Ipod Audio Recorder Ipod Audio Recorder