Tuesday 22 June 2010

Acer Aspire One Battery - laptop batteries, netbook


I purchased this to replace the original 3-cell battery which shipped with the computer. The price was good, the reviews were good, and the customer service was good (fast shipping). I received the battery a few days after Thanksgiving 2009, and followed the enclosed instructions for calibrating the battery capacity, which basically involves putting the new battery in the computer and running it until it is exhausted, followed by a deep charge (overnight). When I put the battery in, the power meter said 7 hours of charge remaining....it did run almost the full 7 hours, and I was happy. I plugged the computer in to charge overnight and the next morning discovered the problem...the battery did not charge. The directions tell you to make sure the battery is seated properly, so I removed and reinstalled the battery, to no avail....it still would not charge.

I have contacted the seller to initiate a refund. I guess it's possible I got a bad battery, but it is disappointing. The product shipped USPS flat rate envelope contained in a padded cardboard box. The outer USPS envelope was torn and one corner was crumpled and patched with USPS tape, but there was no damage to the battery or internal box. I don't think shipping was the cause of the product failure. I will update this review as the return process proceeds.



UPDATE - I received my refund processed through Amazon...no problems with return. I like the merchant and have no problems with their customer service, but decided to go with another brand of battery, which I am relieved to say works well on my netbook. (I'm typing this update on the new battery power!!!) Super-Capacity Li-ion Battery For Acer Aspire One Series replace UM08A31 UM08A51 UM08A71 UM08A72 UM08A73 UM08A74 UM08B31 UM08B71 UM08B72 UM08B73 UM08B74 Laptop Notebook Main Battery [ 7200mAh 9 cells Black ]

The battery arrived earlier than promised (within two or three days), in perfect condition. So far--after charging, discharging completely, and recharging once--the battery performs as advertised, providing 8-9 hours of use, including several WiFi hours, per charge. Its somewhat bulky size adds a little to the dimensions and weight of my tiny netbook (Aspire One, 8.9"), but it enables me to use the computer for the purpose for which I bought it: long bus and train trips.

This battery is amazing. The increased battery life would last you through nearly any trip. Depending on what I'm doing, I'm getting about 8 hours of battery life out of it.



And I like how it's "L" shaped, which allows more airflow underneath which keeps your netbook cooler.

Unfortunately, I had to revise my previously good review...

I received my battery and was happy with it's price and shipping. I did, however, make note that many other customers seemed to be getting a lot more time out of the battery than I was. Hindsight being 20/20 and all...

Well, I have now had the battery for 4 months and have only really used it hard the last couple weeks. I let it run completely down 1 time and it steadfastly refuses to charge now. I suspect that it's just a random bad cell. Not really NewMP3Technologies fault. After all, they have a 1 year warranty on it. Long story short, I have tried 5 times now to contact the company about getting a warranty replacement. They refuse to contact me whatsoever. I inquired at the BBB about them and they are listed as not being in business any longer, however, they are still selling via their website and on Amazon. STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS!

First let me start with what I like about this battery. It offers a long run-time (~8 hours on with a portable hard drive connected, brightness high). It raises my netbook and gives it a somewhat more comfortable typing angle as well as more breathing room between the bottom and the surface of whatever its resting on, improving air flow.



Second, I have to point out its flaw that earned the One-star rating. As soon as charging is complete, Windows complains of a critical battery. Odd, because the battery should theoretically be 99%+ after a completed charge, not 0%. Also, the power adapter (which is still plugged in around this time) makes no difference. Windows or my netbook will not detect that it is plugged in.



My netbook will still run like this, but I have no way of monitoring the remaining time or percentage of battery. The only way to fix this is to completely shutdown and remove and then reinsert the battery. Then, I can run from battery with the ability to monitor remaining charge or run from AC. Also, sometimes when I plug in the adapter to recharge the battery, it will charge for a few seconds and then switch back to battery power. A simple unplug-replug fixes that.



Of course, I tried to reproduce these symptoms with a replacement adapter and a car adapter as well as the original battery. I could only reproduce these symptoms when using the new "Super-Capacity" battery. I had no issues whatsoever when using the OEM battery.



I noticed that 'J "Alchemist"' who wrote a review on January 9, 2010 is experiencing the same problems.



I honestly cannot recommend this battery to my friends who own Aspires and am appalled at the lack of Quality Control. A battery should not cause this much difficulty. Who wants to shutdown their computer in the middle of class to "reset" their battery or make a habit of never fully charging your battery. Let alone having to reset the power adapter.



I sent Brainydeal a message today, and I fully expect a replacement.

My only regret is not buying this product sooner.

The size factor is seriously of no consequence at all to me, if anything the weight might be more of an issue, and that is still non-consequential. That's especially so because of the long battery life! Finally makes this netbook truly portable.

In the process of conditioning the battery right now. So far getting about 6 hours with wireless on.

Seller was great with feedback and shipping. I ordered at 1:15 pm and received at around 2pm the next day.

I still think at around 90dollars its a good deal. If you choose 2 day or standard shipping, this item is a steal! - Laptop Batteries - Netbook - Acer Aspire One - Aspire One Battery'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Acer Aspire One Battery - laptop batteries, netbook acer aspire one Acer Aspire One Battery - laptop batteries, netbook