Monday 28 June 2010

Access Point - d-link, bridge


After trying different Netgear N AP's out there, this one seems quite stable and has a great range. The installation was quite simple to follow and its features are rich too. Only wished it didn't take so many seconds to reboot each time a configuration change was made. Other than that, this router is more reliable so far, will update more after a few more days. Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-300N Smart Access Point (AP300)

I bought this along with the SR300 Amped Repeater (which is also reviewed - great product). The High Power Access Point is an excellent product with great features as advertised. Easiest networking product that i've ever had to setup. Even easier than the repeater which I must say was pretty easy.



Just make sure you are using a 4 wire ethernet cable if you plan on extending the AP from your router using another ethernet cable other than the one provided. It works better with NON POE cables according to their techs which were very helpful.



Great product. A+

I followed the easy set-up instructions but newer got this item to work. I called Amped help desk and after waiting for 20 mins decided to leave a message and hope they call back. Indeed, they did call back about an hour later, which was even past their normal closing time for help desk support. After walking through my issues the technician apologized that it was a known issue that this box does not work with the Comcast SMR supplied router that I have. There was no known solution so the only thing to do was return the product. I was told the issue is with the recent software upgrade pushed to the SMR router by Comcast, and none of these types of products will work with this router. I found Amped support to be excellent - it's disappointing I was not able to know in advance of purchasing that this would never work.

As advertised, it is very easy to set up and even the advanced settings are relatively easy to manipulate. HOWEVER, it did not extend my wireless range at all. I bought the product in the hopes of getting better wireless range than that provided by my Uverse 2wire router. Before purchasing, I called amped and they said the access point would certainly accomplish this. No dice. The poor performing uverse router actually provides better range than the amped access point. So, I am returning the device and will try my luck with and airport extreme and airport express combo.

Out of the box you can plug this device into a router and get immediate high speed wireless. But if you want to change the original settings you need to access the AP300 via wifi using either [...] or [...]. The documentation admits that the first address may not work (it didn't) but neither did the second. Unplugging and holding down the reset button did not change the situation. But hey, there is a toll free customer service number. But no one answers and as of day two no one calls back.



So until I get a call (or an email) from the service department and figure out how to change the settings on the device I am a highly dissatisfied customer.



If you are happy with the default settings (and if you do not anticipate that you will ever need to contact customer service), this is the device for you. If not, look elsewhere.



[written over wifi using my AP 300, hoping my neighbors are unaware of the default password] - Wireless Bridge - Wireless Access Point - D-link - Bridge'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Access Point - d-link, bridge wireless bridge Access Point - d-link, bridge