Sunday 9 May 2010

Roto Zip - roto zip


I am a remodeler and cutting plaster/buttonboard in older houses can be tough. I got only one hole cut for a six 6" can lights before my Greenlee hole saw was ruined. This bit in my Rotozip cut the last five and plenty of holes in the walls for outlets and for pulling wire (unlike a regular electrician I have to patch my holes so a square cut is worth it) . It did take a couple bits (you can see the "teeth" getting worn down) and near the end of a bit's life, you get more cutting by working the bit in and out. It's a dusty job and you should wear more than a cheap dust mask. I also found a full face shield worked much better than goggles.I have been trying to buy some more of these bits at Home Depot (couldn't wait for a Amazon order) but the clerk told me that Bosch had just bought out Rotozip and that it would be a while before new bits came in under the Bosch name(?)$10/bit is expensive but they get the job done. RotoZip DC1 Duracut Bit Pack

This bit is incredible. It has cut through everything that I have used it on and it is still as sharp as the day I got it. It really lasts a long time. Great for any person who had stuff to cut and wants a bit that will cut through many different surfaces.

I have a 1940's home and bought this bit to cut the top of my living room wall's perimeter, just below the curve at the coved cieling because the walls are shot and need to be redone. My walls consist of 1/2 inch drywall with 1/4 + inch mortar, and 1/16 plaster and about 10 coats of paint. It's a DUSTY job, but the bit did it without a problem. I was just praying not to hit one of the drywall nails. For the home user, the tool is great and serves its purpose.

I bought this bit at home depot for $8 and used it to cut 4 sheets of hardebacker board into a circle for an outdoor mosaic table substrate, using a 3 1/4 hp router and trammel arm. The bit worked quite well, athough I noticed I had to get the RPMs up on the variable speed router to get it to cut easily. I doubt using this bit in a lower powered roto zip could've produced the same results.

Perhaps the folks who don't like this bit should retry it in a router.

I used this to route a trough up my wall to conceal speak wire to my home theater speakers. It worked like a charm!!! My house is 1955 with plaster/mortar walls. I also used the dust extractor adapter - What a charm ABSOLUTELY NO DUST!!! If you have a Rotozip and a dust problem you need the dust extractor!!!

I used this to cut a hole in lath and plaster. It made enough holes for about 6-8 normal electrical boxes. Unfortunately the bit was pretty much toast after that. It did a good job but by the end it was almost burning the edges of the lath. Not that durable but good enough.

I called this the wood eraser. I ran this against the edge of the wall to remove excess plywood, and it was a breeze. I couldn't do that with a jigsaw because it was right against wall in the corner.



I also had to cut a circle for a hood vent. The original was rectangular. Trace the area to cut, and got it done in about 15 min. Couldn't think of any other tool that can do it easier. Will buy another for backup.



It does kick back a little, but you get used to it and use a little more strength to stabilize it.

The Rotozip is great for drywall if the shaft lock don't break, however the other accessories are a big bust and this one tops the list of worthless items I have bought for the only Rotozips I will ever buy. As a home builder I bought 3 Rotozip tools a year ago, never again. - Roto Zip'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Roto Zip - roto zip roto zip Roto Zip - roto zip