Friday 21 May 2010

Binding Machines


I am a teacher and a homeschooling mom to a 16 year old and I couldn't wait to get this Fellowes Star Comb Binding Machine. I have used it many times since I received it and have been extremely happy with it. The instructions that come with the machine are very vague, but that is not an issue at all because it's very easy to use. I took it out of the box, placed it on my desk and looked at it for all of 60 seconds and that was that. I have been binding books for my daughter since the moment I opened it and haven't had any problems at all. I use a 24 lb paper and I can easily punch through 8 pages or more at a time. I have to also say that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's not easy for me to manipulate things with my hands, so if I can use it, anyone can! The one thing I do which might be helpful to you, I put my heavy stapler on top of the papers as I load them onto the plastic binder. It's not really necessary to do this, but it holds the papers down while I load the next stack on the binder. So simple! Also, this is not a huge machine. I can actually pick this up and move it around without any difficulty. It is compact enough to fit in my big desk drawer. This is such a great tool for homeschoolers, teachers, and small offices. If you are thinking of purchasing one, don't wait. This will make your life so much easier and comb bound books take up a lot less space than three ring binders! I hope my review is helpful. Fellowes Star Manual Comb Binding Machine (52173)

This product performed better than expected based the value price as you can pay up to $200 and more for these machines. Fellowes makes very good products. The only negative here is that if you "load" more than 5 or 6 pages of 20lb paper the "punching" process becomes a little challenging. It you are binding lets say 20 pages it then becomes a 3 "punch" process.

I've always used heavy-duty binding machines, so was a little wary about trying this. I purchased it for a non-profit with a very small budget and our options were limited. I based my decision on other reviews and the manufacturer's reputation, hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed.



I wasn't! Granted, you can't put many pages in at a time to punch (I limited it to 5), but by being careful and taking my time, I was very satisfied with the outcome. It works well and is easy to use. If you're looking for mass output, spend the money on a more expensive machine. For occasional use, this will more than fulfill your needs.

Like other reviewers said, sometimes it's hard to know for sure whether you have inserted the sheets deep enough for the holes to be aligned properly. I formed the habit of sliding the sheets left & right a few times after insertion but before punching the holes, and despite doing that I would still miss the alignment every now and then. Other that that it's a good value. Solid construction, small footprint. Looks kind of cute, too.

I bought this as a Christmas gift for my husband. We bind quite a few things and he had been looking to purchase a comb binding machine. He was actually considering buying this particular brand and model at Staples, but it was rather pricey.



When I saw it here for considerably less, I thought, what the heck, and bought it. He loves it. It is light weight and so easy to use that I didn't even need instructions on how to use it. My only problem was sometimes I would not have the paper completely in the slots before puncturing. Other than that, it seems like this will be quite a hit around our place.

I was looking for an inexpensive way to bind documents at home. I had used professional quality comb binders that cost much more so I was not expecting too much.



This product exceeded my expectations. I would recommend it to anyone who needs an inexpensive binder.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Binding Machines Binding Machines Binding Machines