Wednesday 17 March 2010

Motorcycle Rain Gear - wet weather coat, coleman


Great super-lightweight minimalist rain suit. Popular with 'ultralight hikers' for whom every ounce of pack weight counts; jacket by itself weighs an amazing 6 ounces.



Some caveats: to get the light weight (and the price), there are no pockets, zero, on these, neither outer or inner. The zipper is a little fragile and has to be handled carefully to avoid sticking or ripping. If super light weight is more important to you than sturdiness, these are for you. Thru-hikers know that these DriDucks are handy but fragile & need to be protected from snags, abrasion, thorn vines etc. The cut is large and wide, big enough to wear over any number of other layers and you can wear a smallish backpack or messenger shoulder bag, then put the large jacket on over everything.



But if you want a regular sturdy rain suit with pockets that you can knock around in for boating, bushwacking around, kayaking, ATVing etc, and ultra lightweight doesn't matter, you'll be happier with something else. Khaki Driducks Hood Rainsuit - L

If you're looking for untralightweight, very packable gear for open country this is a great suit, but it is easily damaged by brush, rocks or snags. It is cheap, so it can be inexpensively replaced if damaged, but that's little consolation if you're far away from a retailer and facing a second day of rain with a shredded pair of rain pants. Duct tape helps as do gaiters, but both negate the weight advantage of using this suit. A more substantial suit is probably best for rough country.



As others have stated, the zipper is easily damaged, and the suit lacks pockets, but as with the easily damaged material, both of these are obviously sacrificed for light weight and packability. If weight and size are your major concerns, this suit is a good option. Just stay out of heavy brush and avoid abrading on rocks.



As an "occasional use" suit for lightweight backpacking it's quite reasonable. Stuffed in it's included protective sack it should also survive in you glove box as a part of your roadside emergency kit. When worn this rain suit blocks the wind better, and keeps your legs drier than a poncho with it's open bottom, but most ponchos are more rugged and more versatile being useful as shelters, ground clothes, or tarps as well as rain gear.



Overall this is one of those pieces of gear that I sometimes carry and sometimes don't.

It's an inexpensive compromise that might fit your needs.

I bought this so I could ride my bike to and from work in the rain if need be. I am 6'4" 200lbs and wanted something I could put over my rucksack. So I ordered 2XL. The jacket fits me pretty well. A little loose but a good fit. Well I wanted a very loose fit. Not what I anticipated and I cannot put this over my rucksack. The pants are absolutely HUGE! Problem is there is no draw string for the pants just a flimsy little rubber waste band AND the length is for someone at least 6'9". I am taking the pants to a tailor to fix the waste band and the length.



Bottom line: good material, good zipper but the sizes are out there.

This is definitely a LIGHT WEIGHT suit. It is cheaply made and not all that water proof. It runs bigger than what you think. I am 5'5" and usually wear a medium shirt and wear a 7 or 9 in pants so I ordered the Medium Suit. Wow talk about big you could have fit two of me in there. I would say that my leg length is around 30". The pants to this suit were about 2" too long and the jacket was extremely big. The sleeves went down past my hands. You couldn't even see my hands. I was going to order 2 of these but I didn't and now I'm glad I didn't. It's up to you but I won't order this again or recommend this.

The material for this rainsuit is lighter and more breathable than most expensive/ high-end rain jackets available on the market. The cut and style, however, is less than desireable. The fit is oversized and a bit odd because the sleeves are too short and leaves the wrist completely exposed to the elements. The material is very delicate so the pants are pretty useless as they rip easily. The jacket lasts much longer as long as you dont snag it on a lot of off-trail vegetation. Even if they do their it can easily be repaired with a small patch of duct tape. The jacket is so good and so cheap that I have a hard time justifying the expense of an expensive "high performance" jacket other than for pure style. Just throw away the pants and keep the jacket.

I bought this rain suit to keep packed in my bag for bicycle commuting. Before heading home yesterday it began to rain, so of course I slipped on my brand new rain pants. Immediately upon mounting my bicycle the crotch of the pants ripped open about 2"... so there's that. I rode home with a huge gaping hole in my crotch. Luckily it was not raining hard enough to soak me in that spot. Upon dismounting, the crotch ripped another 4" inches, making them basically unwearable.



I will say that they kept my pants dry, except for they do not breath at all, so anything they cover becomes slightly like a greenhouse inside.



If you do not intend to do anything beyond tying your shoes (and even then I would be careful) this is a good bargain for the price, but be warned that they are very delicate. - Rain Pants - Rain Coat - Wet Weather Coat - Coleman'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Motorcycle Rain Gear - wet weather coat, coleman coleman Motorcycle Rain Gear - wet weather coat, coleman