Tuesday 30 March 2010

Art Products - art supplies, awesome


Soft and creamy, rich palette of deep colors - description for what I think are truly the best coloring pencils I've ever used. And, as an architect, I've looked for and tried many different brands, and none have matched the quality of the Berol Prismacolor pencils. Living in Portugal, where I can't get them, I was very happy to be able to order them through Amazon.com Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencils, 24 Pre-Sharpened Colored Pencils

These pencils (especially at the $13 they cost me) are hands down the best art purchase I have made in the last year, maybe ever. The first full composition i did came out very bold and rich, with amazingly vibrant colors. The sense of depth and smooth blending you get from these rivals many more expensive pencils. I did a side by side comparison with standard prismacolors, as well as prismacolor premiers, and the difference is almost unnoticable. If you are having trouble deciding on pencils, and don't want to empty your bank account; don't hesitate, you will not be disappointed with this set of pencils.

I noticed so many people complaining about the packaging, and I felt the need to write this review. I have been using Prismacolor pencils for more than 20 years, and the quality of these colored pencils cannot be beat, in my opinion. I have used expensive Derwent, Faber Castle, and many others. They are not as good, and I always end up reaching for my Prismacolors.



Most important note: The company packages the "scholar" line of pencils cheaply so that they can offer them at a lower price to art students who typically cannot afford high quality art supplies.The scholar pencils are just as nice as the professional "artist" line, which comes in metal tins or wooden boxes.



Another note: "wood casing" in the description refers to the pencil itself. The pigment lead is "encased" in a wooden barrel. As you see by the picture, these are in a clear plastic case.





A set of 24 Prismas will usually cost at least $24-25 in the cardboard or tin cases. Larger sets in those fancy wooden boxes can cost hundreds. Here you have a set of 24 in a plastic envelope thing, and this has caused people to give poor reviews and return the items. You bought some of the best pencils around for half price, people- the packaging is irrelevant! I noticed that these reviewers mentioned nothing about the pencils themselves. Are you kidding?



I am an artist by profession, so I have plastic containers and drawers for all of my supplies. When I buy pencils they are going to go in the appropriate bin, so the packaging is not an issue- I prefer to pay for the contents. Other artists I know also store pencils in their own bins and boxes.



I have to replace my colored pencils fairly often since I use them to the nub, and buying 24 for $12-13 is certainly a great thing. If you have to replace a single pencil you will pay at least a dollar per pencil at most craft stores, so no doubt this is an economical alternative. Most likely, You will use up these standard colors first.



BTW- I see a picture of pencils in the plastic case up there for this item, so I don't know which product these other people are even looking at. Regardless, this set of 24 Prismacolor pencils is a steal. They are described as "student" quality, but do not let that fool you. These are not Crayolas by a long shot. I use them along with Prismacolor Artist pencils (the professional ones) and I really can't tell one from the other.



I just wanted to stick up for these amazing pencils since people have made the rating low for stupid reasons. Review the actual product- it is not helpful to others to complain about the case when most artists keep their supplies in other containers anyway.

I Love these pencils, always have. They are wonderful for anyone who loves to draw, from aged four to ninety-four. I've always believed that every child deserves good school supplies and these are good enough for anyone. Crayola has wonderful crayons, but their colored pencils aren't even close to the best. They are great for even preschool children, because the leads write smoothly and don't crumble.



The price her on Amazon is terrific, and a package of these pencils and a really nice sketch pad makes a perfect gift for almost any child for almost any occasion. These pencils were part of my "special travel bag" which I had for long car rides or any plane ride. Now that my baby is no longer a little baby, she has the full set of 132 colored pencils in a lovely tin.



If you absolutely unable to live without erasing your mistakes, Prismacolor offers Prismacolor Col-Erase Erasable Colored Pencils, 24-Color Pencil Set, which are not quite as cool as the regular colored pencils, but have the advantage of being erasable. An absolutely critical addition to these pencils are the Prismacolor Pencil 1077 Blender, which blends the colors effortlessly, and makes your colored pencil creations much nicer.



Oh, and the lousy packaging? I strongly prefer the tins or wooden cases to the cardboard packaging. I know that most colored pencils come in a cardboard box, but the tin or wooden boxes are so preferable to this one.



These pencils are just the best, and I'm sure you won't be sorry if you give them a try. Just grab a container to hold them.

My kids notebook, journal, and color pictures every day for school in history and science (we homeschool). We are over half way through the school year and these pencils have stood up to my 6 and 8yo no problem, have given great color, no broken tips, sharpen great (electric sharpener if it matters). We have tried 2 other popular brands available in "box stores" and the tips always broke, didn't sharpen well, didn't color well, didn't flow smoothly, they were horrible - and we tried several different boxes over the years of both. We have had such great success with Prismacolor Scholars I will never go back and spend the extra money every year. I may splurge and get the bigger set for my oldest next year because she loves the extra color choices but the 24 count has been SUPER for both kids. - Colored Pencils - Awesome - Art Products - Art Supplies'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Art Products - art supplies, awesome art supplies Art Products - art supplies, awesome