Saturday 6 February 2010

Sony - sony, digital frames


I just loaded this frame up with pictures of the kids for grandma, and can say that this frame is a much better choice for the price than other brands.



I really wanted to offer a contrast to the only review (so far) for this product, since I had a far different experience.



There are many menu options to customize the viewing experience, including a setting to change the delay between pictures from 3 seconds to 24 hours. There are also nine different types of slideshows, plus a random mix of those types available.



Also in the menu options is a Shuffle option to randomize the order of your pictures.



I chose to resize the photos to match the display resolution of the frame (800X480). This dropped the size from 2+ mb per picture to around 50 kb per picture, and they are virtually indistinguishable from a regular viewing distance. At the moment, there are 500+ pictures in the internal memory, with more than half of the room left.



The picture quality is great especially compared to other brands in this price range. Sony DPF-D1010 10.2-Inch WVGA LCD (16:10) Digital Photo Frame (Black)

Bought this due to Sony's quality in imaging space and 10-in diagonal screen. After loading photos, am amazed at how great the pictures look and how nice the photo frame is. Had not bought a digital photo frame previously due to cost and small screen size, am glad I waited until now.



Anyway, great product with excellent viewing from all angles and lots of configurable options (interval settings, random, clock, etc.). Did not find any of the limitations or issues that earlier reviewer noted, thankfully went ahead and bought it.



Here is my summary:

- high quality screen

- good viewing angles

- very nice frame for use in living room etc.

- easy to configure

- good price



One suggestion if you use Picasa or any other photo editing program. You can crop your photos using the "5:3 Widescreen Photo Frame" crop option and they will fit perfectly in the 800x480 frame when you do a File->Export (option Resize to 800). Or if you prefer, you can let the Sony resize/crop for you.



Anyway, great product and in my personal opinion, definitely worth recommending to others.

My wife mentioned that it would be nice to have a digital picture frame, given that so many of our pictures are hidden away on the computer, most never being viewed regularly. I remember hearing less than glowing reviews of these things in the past, but after doing some research I stumbled upon these units from Sony. The Sony frames appear to be the best-made and with the best software running the device of all that I've seen. A lot of the name brand and no-name frames have buggy, unintuitive software, cheap frame materials, and cheap electronics inside (don't last). These are the only one's I've found that are worth what they are charging for them. That said, I loaded 240 hi-res pictures onto it last night from a USB drive (also accepts SD and others), which took about 30 minutes. The internal memory is about half-full. Without reading the manual I was able to set the system settings to my liking, and the pictures look very good -- surprisingly so. Almost every parameter of the unit is configurable (effects, delay b/w pics, auto pic resizing, etc). The quality of the screen is excellent, the frame seems well-made with decent materials, and it's very straightforward to use. The 10" screen is larger than I thought it would be, which is nice. This particular model is only VGA (800 x 480), whereas the higher models are SVGA (800 x 600) -- I was originally going to get the SVGA, but the additional cost was significant, and this looks pretty good as it is. In terms of value, I think this is one of the better digital frames on the market. Highly recommended.

Sony's D1010 Digital Photo Frame has a couple limitations that I did not expect, which really disappointed me. First of all, you cannot adjust how long each picture shows for. It's always 8 seconds, which to me, is far too long, if you are using it to show people pictures. Unless you want to sit around for an hour. Secondly, you have to be standing pretty much directly in front of the frame to see the picture well. Strangely, we noticed that if you walk to the left of the frame, and look at it, it's ok-- but walk to the right of it, and it instantly gets that "x-ray" look. A definite bad point.

Here is a thing which is a bummer to me: A Sears salesman told me after looking at the box that even though it says "holds approx. 200 photos", because I shoot with a new heavy hit camera, (which apparently makes photos w/ a lot of info) this digital photo frame would end up holding only around 25-30 pictures. That to me was unacceptable, but he said that if I just left the SD card in the frame, It would hold a lot. I said no problem. I managed to fit 112 photos onto the SD card that I bought, and put it in. I was SO bummed to realize when you do this, it totally changes the order of the photos! I had spent a long time putting these photos into a nice random assortment on my computer before putting it onto the SD card, but to no avail. It clumped them together as I had shot them. So all the pictures of Hannah were ALL together, all the pictures I had shot at the beach party were ALL together, etc.... Now, possibly this would be different if I had actually loaded these photos into the internal memory of the frame. But I looked, and they had 2 choices about the order: By Date, and By Number Order. No "Random" which I think would be an obvious choice. Their "Random" they did have included showing large random clocks and calendars, along with the photos, which ended up very small to accomodate the calendar/or/clock. Yuck.

It was easy to use and set up, which I was relieved about. The picture quality is good, just not as good as my Apple computer screen. I do love the fact that it looks great, and automatically knows to orientate the picture to a vertical portrait or horizontal landscape , and is ok with tilted photos. You can put the frame vertically or horizontally, a big plus. All in all, it's ok. - Digital Picture Frame - Highly Recommended - Digital Frames - Sony'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sony - sony, digital frames digital frames Sony - sony, digital frames