Sunday 7 February 2010

Inflator - air compressor, inflator


I've had a VIAIR 70P for quite some time and that unit is great for the small pump that it is. When I needed another small portable compressor that was able to be powered by a cigarette lighter power socket, I noticed that VIAIR had a new model and got one. This one is almost twice as fast as the 70P and every bit as quiet. The unit doesn't walk around when you're using it and the brass screw-on tire chuck makes for almost no air loss. The LED power indicator is a nice touch and I found the air pressure gauge to be spot-on as long as I turn the compressor off to check pressure. In all, another nice unit. -I just wish this was available when I got my 70P. Side note: don't throw away the box - its a means of storage since this unit doesn't come with a carry bag. VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor

I've had several other portable air compressors in the past but they were always in the $20, and below price range, which in essence turned out to be "junk. This is the first time I've purchased a Viair Air Compressor. I was hesitant in spending nearly $50 for for one, but once I received it I was very impressed with its quality and efficiency. I like the fact that the air hose fitting is brass and the end screws onto the air valves of tires. Unlike the toggle type of hose fittings on the cheaper models (which leak a substantial amount of air when you attach or detach them to the air valve and are cumbersome to use), the screw on brass fitting of the Viair loses a negligent amount of air during this operation. The pump is relatively quite for a portable, and it doesn't bounce around nearly as much as the cheaper models tend do. The air gage is very accurate (readings should be taken with the air hose attached and the compressor off ). My bicycle tires were about 15 lbs low and it only took the compressor 10 seconds to air them up. My car tires were about 3 lbs low and it took less than a minute to fill them. I also like the fact that the accessories for airing up air mattresses, basketballs and the like, are cradled on the compressor. All to often I forget where I put these items when I need them if not attached to the compressor. Compared to other air compressors within the same price range, I think this is by far, a cut above the rest.

I believe that Amazon.com provides the broadest and best items available and in the widest price ranges. Their "Prestige" shipping program is outstanding, and their customer satisfaction guarantee is the best.

Item arrived quickly. The compressor is very compact and feels well built and heavy.



I verified before purchase that it draws 14.5 amps, 12v. My power sources on a 05 landcruiser are 15 amp 12v. I tested it this weekend. Started the vehicle, used the rear cargo Aux socket to fill the two rear tires, it has plenty of power and inflated quickly. I moved it to the front cabin Aux socket on dash, and it blew the 15 amp fuse. Then I used the 15 amp cig lighter socket, and it blew that too.



Its not much use if it blows the fuse when you need it most.



I'm going to look into a direct battery power adapter plug.

After reading all of the reviews, I still was not convinced that I could trust this product, so I called the company, VIAIR directly with questions. First, I got right through to their technical department, and was given very clear answers to my questions. My main question was about blowing any fuses, as some reviewers had complained about, and the technician assured me that would not happen, as long as I had the engine running BEFORE I plugged in and turned on the compressor. After I spoke to the technician I decided to go ahead and purchase the VIAIR 85P compressor. When it arrived the directions on the box were very clear about turning on your engine before operating the compressor. The compressor is extremely easy to use. The brass screw on tire chuck for the tire stem is so much more convenient and easier to use than the machines at local gas stations, because you just screw it on and you do not have to hold it in place. It filled up my tire to the correct pressure in less than a minute, and the tire gauge makes it impossible for you to make any errors in judgement as to how much or how little to fill your tire, as long as you know what the PSI is for your tires. I am thrilled that I purchased this product. It is everything that the company advertises it to be and more. Also, as one previous reviewer suggested, keep the box, it is very convenient to store the compressor in, and has a convenient plastic carry handle.

The pump works great. Very fast. The first time I used it was on my wifes car with smaller low profile tires. 8 lbs of air were needed. I didn't time it but I had to let 4 lbs of pressure off the tires because they were pumped up so fast.



It is much quiter than I expected as well.



I cannot speak to the durability of the pump. I've only had it for a month now and only used a handful of times. It seems like it will hold up well. The pump does get hot if used for any amount of time.

This compressor works great. I use it once a month to adjust the pressure for my car. It is very portable (I can keep it all the time in my car, it does not take much space), and the cord has just the right length to reach all 4 tires from the dash plug. Not too noisy for a compressor, and fast. The gauge is accurate, as long as you turn the switch off to get a reading.

High quality portable compressor for emergencies. Sure wish that it had come with its own carry case. As it is I just leave it in the box in back of the Jeep. Something that everyone should have, and is much better than those cheap plastic compressors that I wouldn't trust for anything. VIAIR makes high quality compressors and this is one of them.

I've been using a cheap $10 air compressor I bought from Walmart a few years ago, and I finally was just getting too impatient to wait 10 minutes anytime I inflate my tires. I ordered this Viair one based on the positive reviews and have not been disappointed.



First of all, it only took me a minute or two to get from 10 to 45 PSI, down from 10 minutes with my old cheap-o one. Second, the construction feels solid and durable. I like the weight it has, it mostly stays in place while operating, there is slight movement but it at least stays upright. Cheap-o inflator goes all over the place, weighs next to nothing, and can't even stay upright while inflating. Third, it has a fairly bright light on the side of it that can be helpful when inflating tires at night. Fourth, the connection is very tight. It screws on securely and loses almost no air on connecting and disconnecting. Cheap-o brand always has a big "whoosh" every time I connect/disconnect, and the connection does not feel secure. Finally, it is about 75% quieter than the cheap-o brand. Not library quiet, but tolerable (old one was deafening).



Only negative I had with this is that my Scion tC's fuse was blown when running this through the cigarette lighter power. It inflated one tire then on the second it just stopped. Not a huge deal to replace the fuse, and I believe this is more the car's fault then this product's. My other car ran this for several minutes with no issues. I'll probably buy a converter so I can run this from my garage's outlet in the future, instead of from either car.



So to summarize, this was DEFINITELY worth the $30-40 surcharge over the cheap-o brand I had before. I am considering buying a second so I can have one in each of my vehicles in case of emergency. - Air Compressor - 12v - Tire Inflator - Inflator'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Inflator - air compressor, inflator air compressor Inflator - air compressor, inflator