Sunday 7 February 2010

Cordless Drill


I've owned this Makita impact gun for over three years and still love it. I'm a professional carpenter/handyman and this tool by far is the one I use most. It's the most comfortable cordless drill I've ever handled (and I've owned at least seven). It will drive 3 inch screws into hardwood over and over. Squeeze the trigger and the light comes on.. a joy, especially during winter work days when it gets dark early. The small size gets you into tight places like narrow cabinets or under sinks (where again that light is great)!

After using this tool a while, it becomes second nature - how much pressure you need to squeeze the trigger for just the right amount of torque. The impact feature is handy for backing out soft brass screws without stripping them (like those tricky high end Baldwin hinge screws).

The quick release is simple to use.. the belt hook is handy when you go up a ladder with your hands full.. the batteries last a long time and are easy to change.. the charger is quick.. it will accept vix bits and drill bits with a hex shank (so you can drill holes too)!

C'mon.. what else do you need in a drill/screwdriver???

Get one and you will soon realize what you've been missing.. Compared to those bulky Ni-Cad non-impact guns, this one beats them hands down! Bare-Tool Makita BTD141Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver (Tool Only, No Battery)

A friend of mine had this driver drill on a window installation job. After using it I went right out and bought my own. I do lots of handyman work and this is now my go-to drill that I reach for first. It's smaller and lighter than the full size Makita drill, but drives and drills as well or better than its big brother and takes the same battery packs. Highly recommended!

I have been using impact drivers professionally since they were introduced many years ago (they were 9.6 volt, nicad). I rarely use them for drilling but for fastening, it is the tool of choice. This is my 3rd Makita, from the 9.6 to the 12 and now the 18 volt and I have never worn one out completely. Batteries, yes, many. Nicads didn't last all that long in number of cycles, NiMH were much better and now L-Ion which are a vast improvement. Now for this tool. Makita also makes this in a 3 speed model with brushless motor for considerably more money. The 3 speeds of the other tool are unnecessary; I have absolute control of the tool thru the variable speed trigger. As for the brushless motor. They are more efficient, delivering more torque and longer lasting. That means more fasteners per charge and subsequently longer battery life. This is important if you are a professional and putting the tool into production use. All day, every day. Would I prefer it? Yes, if that was the only tool I used but I have many and cost is always a factor. And I have never worn out the tool or replaced brushes in the other Makita's. The other tool on the market that I have experience with is the Panasonic, which is at least equal to the Makita. And Panasonic has their own battery technology (they achieve the same performance using only 14.4 volts) They have the selectable 3 speed and brushless motor but are substantially more expensive. So, for less money I don't feel that I have lost. The Makita name has served me well.

The BTD141 is a 2008 update/improved version of the BTD140: some improved internal parts (slightly higher max torque), slightly different appearance (mainly the plastic gearbox shroud), and a different chuck(This chuck allows you to push in a hex bit without pulling out the sleeve.) Not much difference from the older model, but I felt good about having the latest model when I bought this in the last week of May 2009.



A week after I bought this, Makita releases the evolutionary Bare-Tool Makita BTD144Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver (Tool Only, No Battery) with brushless motor on the US market. There is a reason why the BTD144 is the first tool in the Makita line-up to get the brushless technology: Impact drivers are known for their torque but not for their finesse. With the digital electronic control that brushless motors allow, you can have buttons that reduce the speed and torque instead of having to feather the trigger pressure(like you have to do on the BTD141). Even though it is $75 - $100 more than the BTD141, I would have probably sprung for the BTD144. Regardless, what's done is done.



The BTD141 has loads of potential torque and if you are not careful/skilled you can torque fasteners way beyond where they should be. I needed some practice with the trigger and doing short bursts to make a 3" screw flush with a wood surface. Getting the right pressure on the trigger as you are driving a screw does not come naturally, especially if you've only used a drill as a driver.



The ergonomics on this, as with all Makita LXT tools, is superb. Very comfortable and balanced with "grippy" molded rubber in all the right places.



It is loud, but it's supposed to be loud; it's an IMPACT driver.



You can use this driver with the smaller 1.5 amp Makita batteries without making any modifications. (See user picture above) Thus, it can virtually become the smaller, lighter BTD142HW.

I own my own contracting and handyman business so i need quality tools from reliable suppliers. I am very pleased with the Makita BTD141Z 18-volt impact driver i purchased through Amazon.com. This was my first online purchase, yea, i've come out of the cave, Amazon.com made this process very easy for first timers like me, Thank you Amazon.com. This won't be my last purchase online, i shop Amazon.com 2-3 times a week for all my needs and wants. Nobody in my area compares when it comes to pricing. I highly recommend Amazon.com for your next purchase.

Lots of power even at half charge. Fast charging and the quick release is the best, I cant wait to get the 1/2" gun. p.s it will tighten lugs to 95 ft.lbs. I checked with my torque wrench and thats the best i could get, NOT complaining...im happy with it.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Drill Cordless Drill Cordless Drill