Monday 22 February 2010

Accessories - accessories, cooling


I picked this up to go with my HAF-932 Case, the style of the cooler matches the case perfectly. Installation was not as complicated as others have written about either on here or elsewhere. Install took me all of 15 minutes, and I didn't even have to remove my motherboard.



Power for the LED is supplied via a Molex connector, both fans plug into a "Y" adapter to plug into the PWM as a single cable. One thing that would be wanted here is maybe some labeling or markings on the fans so you know which one is which. Although When I pulled the fans off for the first time I stuck a sticky note to each one with its direction and orientation written down.



Alright, here is the REAL information that you guys want.

Right now I am running a Q6600 Intel Core2Quad stock speed at 2.4ghz, with everything set to stock my idle temps are around 20-25 C. Full load- 30-40 c.



I went ahead and stepped my CPU up about 10% (2.4ghz->3.0Ghz) Idle temps changed to 24-35 and full load was about 45-55. Compared to the $20 cooler I had in there previously (idle 35-40, load 50-70-freeze) This is a MAJOR improvement, there may be a newer model of this out now, but I love this cooler. Aside from the fact that it looks pretty radical, it has a decent heft and weight. Do not be worried about your motherboard or the fact that you are hanging a massive box off your cpu slot as the mounting hardware keeps everything distributed and even. The parts supplied will fit a rather large range of CPU sockets from AMD to Intel (775 and up). I am glad I got this heatsink as I will be moving it up to when I upgrade my motherboard/cpu again here soon.



In my honest review I would give this product a 9/10



Pros:

Epic cooling

Great looking

dual fans/better airflow

Instantly noticeable temperature differences.



Cons:

Instruction book is for lack of a better term "friggin retarded"

Wish there was marking on the fans indicating direction of airflow

Only 3 LED color choices. (red, blue, Purple)



Included in this review is an image of the heat sink installed and ready to go!

(Ignore the messy cableness, my cable management sleeving is coming in Friday xD)



[...]



Well thats my review, should you buy this? If you are looking for advanced air cooling and frigid temps then I give a full fledged hell yes! Cooler Master V6GT 220-Watt CPU Cooler RR-V6GT-22PK-R1

This cooler is not perfect but is sure is close. A little pricey but performs so well that I don't even miss the few extra dollars I paid compared to the time I would waste researching a cheaper alternative. First off, its not as loud as everyone or reviews say it is. Yes, it can get loud if it has to go into overdrive to compensate for excessive heat from overclock. I have a AMD X6 2.8ghz stock clock speed at 22*c . Highest temp was 26*C. And I do just about everything. comapred to the stock cooler which was 38* idle and in the mid 40s. at 1100rpm this thing is quiet as a mouse, I can't hear a single thing. I even bought noctua fans to replace the dyna loops because how scared I was of all the reviews but i dont need them anymore. The cooler is big but not heavy. on a gigabyte board it will only affect one really tall ram heatsink such as a G.skill rip saw for height clearance. I have the cooler in a cooler master storm scout. i have maybe .5 in of clearance left. Installation took 5minutes. There are a lot of parts and many alternative ways to install it on an AMD proc. I thought the installation was easier than the stock cooler install. Also there is a LED stripe. Overall I love the cooler its beautiful and does the job effortlessly

I have an AMD Phenom IIx4 965 BE 3.4 ghz that usually runs anywhere from 34-36 idle and 45-52 on max load so I hadn't botherd to try to OC it. I changed my setup a little bit so I decided I needed a third party cooling solution.



Original Setup



Phenom II 965 BE 3.4ghz

8gb DDR3

2tb Sata III

1tb Sata II

500 Gb Sata II

600w Thermaltake TR2

Radeon 6870 1gb DDR5



New Setup



Phenom II 965 BE 3.4 ghz overclocked to 3.9 ghz

16gb DDR3

same hard drives

800w CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold

Radeon 6970 2 GB DDR5



Even with the increased hardware voltage and overclocked CPU my idle temps have decreased quite a bit. Idle: 27C Max Load: 35C but I have to add that I also have several fans in the case. CoolerMaster 922HAF: 3 200mm fans (front,top and side) and two 120mm fans ( bottom and back ) but adding the V6 GT brought my CPU temps down to match by system temps.

I have a friend who has an almost identical system and is OC'd to 3.8 using a Corsair H50 liquid cooler and is still reaching 40-45C on max load.



**Edit: I must add that you have to make sure this will fit in your board it is HUGE! The biggest complaint I have found is that depending on your board it may interfere with the closest ram slot.

Just got this CPU Cooler installed, I haven't noticed a difference in idle temp, but I wasn't expecting to. But, I have seen a difference on load. CPU was getting into the mid 70's on load, but now it's barely breaking 60.



So, it's better than the stock Intel CPU. It's louder on load too, but that's ok as long it keeps the CPU cool. To me, it's not that distracting, but is definitely noticeable.



It is a pain to install, I managed to install it by myself, but a helping hand would have been ideal. I was kinda worried about the single bar for retention. I inadvertently brushed up against it when I was making all my connections and it did move a little. Again, as long as it keeps the CPU cool, then I'm ok with it. Also, when I put the fans back on, I had them both blowing away from the CPU by mistake. At first I this thing was a piece of crap when I didn't see any improvement on temp. But once I corrected the fan situation, it's working good. So, keep an eye on the fan orientation when you're ready to put them back on.



This thing is HUGE, so make sure you have room in your case.



I'm only going to give it 4 stars because of how difficult it was to install. - Heatsink - Accessories - Computer - Cooling'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Accessories - accessories, cooling cooling Accessories - accessories, cooling