Tuesday 26 January 2010

Travel Tripod - camera accessories, flip video


I read the other reviews and thought I would try it. It worked well when I needed to attach the camera onto a railing fine, but it was not that steady for standing up. Part of it may have been that my camera has the hole to attach it on the side of the bottom instead of the middle. It was inexpensive (cheap really) but I'm glad I got it as a wrap-around-holder for when I'm using it in a place that is not flat or wide enough for the camera to sit safely. I did like that it was small & portable. Digipower TP-S010 flexible and sturdy ultra compact Mini Tripod with pocket clip for easy portability

I take a lot of model railroad photos, and needed a tripod that could be bent to accommodate various "terrain" and scenery on a model railroad layout. Having seen various pictures of the Gorilla tripods being bent into all sorts of ridiculous positions, I thought I'd be getting something similar by purchasing this tripod. Not so. It is flexible and sturdy, but it's flexibility is limited. For example, the Gorilla tripods apparently can be bent into a shape that allows them to be hooked over the edge of a tabletop. The Digipower tripod won't do that. Also, bending the legs leaves little black flecks of paint all over your hands.

This mini tripod will do the job it was intended for, it's flexible enough for my picture-taking needs. It's hard to get the camera level since there is no flexible head to adjust on top. And if you try and attach a camera that has the tripod fitting on the side, it will definitely tip over. I learned that the hard way with a previous tripod I purchased - and eventually misplaced. This one is for for light-weight plastic, ultra-compact cameras. Don't try and put a heavier camera on it no matter what location the fitting is on the camera, center or off-side.



But my main complaint with this tripod is the strong odor it emits. I have smelled this odor before - it's some type of chemical odor from whatever they use in China to make plastics or paint. The smell is the same. Currently I have this outside hoping the scent will dissipate. When it arrived in the mail, I put it in a drawer in my bedroom where I store my cameras, the smell of it quickly overtook the room. I tried washing it to no avail, maybe I'm just super sensitive to scents but in case you are also, just a warning that it does stink.



Edited to Add: It's been 3 weeks and the tripod still stinks!

Great tripod for any quick situation. Screw it on the bottom of your point and shoot camera and you can get a great picture without having to shimmy the angle with spare change and stuff. This product does the job very nicely and the price is right. Not for a large SLR camera but great for any point and shoot camera for those hard to prop up situations.

As someone pointed out this is not a Gorillapod, but it's more versatile than a rigid mini-tripod. It's surprisingly solid and the legs have grippy rubber balls for feet. The ordinary screw is fixed to the body.



To give you an idea of the size, it's roughly 12 cm (4-3/4") long closed. The legs can bend out about 7 cm (2-3/4") away from the center. This will give you a small base, so if you want to set any camera heavier than a point-and-shoot at high angles you'll need to improvise to keep it from tipping over. I wouldn't use it with anything bigger than a handheld miniDV.

I bought this mini tripod to do timelapse recording with a larger jvc camcorder. To my suprise this tripod works like a JEM! It keeps my jvc camera stable when you strech the legs far apart for the extra stability. The camera stays stable and works well every time. The tripod also seems pretty durable and for the price, if it ever breaks It's cheap enough to buy a few replacements which I doubt I will have to do. It is also small enough to fit right in the camera case without damaging anything else in the case. This tripod is a great idea and is a must for anyone who has a camera and camcorder!

I use this with my Canon T2i DSLR and 50mm lens, it's sturdy enough. It works even better with lighter point and shoots.

It won't hold the T2i with the 55-250 telephoto, it's way to heavy and unbalanced, but that's ok, I wasn't expecting it to. only problem with mine is that one of the legs is less sturdy than the others, but it still works fine for what it was designed for. it's extremely small and will fit virtually anywhere. - Flip Video - Camera Accessories - Travel Tripod - Flexible'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Travel Tripod - camera accessories, flip video travel tripod Travel Tripod - camera accessories, flip video