Saturday 30 January 2010

Powersharp


I had high hopes for this product, but it was a huge disappointment. I can't comment on the self-sharpening mechanism, as the product utterly failed before I could dull the chain.



I use a Stihl 018C saw -- one of the most widely used saws around -- and yet it's as if Oregon never tested against it. The PowerSharp product failed to meet even basic functional requirements.



The product doesn't work with the Quick Chain Adjuster mechanism on the saw. Although the adjuster does fit onto the bar, it was simply impossible to get enough tension on the chain, and so the bar repeatedly "threw" the chain. Worse, the bar doesn't take up oil properly (and by "properly", I mean "at all"). The chain overheated and smoked every time I tried to use it.



I invested several hours into trying to make this product work -- I really wanted it to succeed. And I confirmed that the problem isn't in my equipment -- when I put my original Stihl bar and chain back on, everything worked normally.



The problem is that this is a lousy, poorly tested product. The sharpener may be a useful innovation, but it hardly matters because the product fails on the basics.



Oh, and you can't return it to Amazon because, in order to discover all these flaws, you'll violate the "unopened, new condition only" requirement. Oregon 541221 PowerSharp Starter Kit For 16-Inch Stihl Chain Saws

Well, I have on of these for a tester from Oregon cutting. First thing i have noticed is that it is very bouncy, almost like running a Skip-tooth chain on a 20" or less bar, Your Chips will look different than with a normal chain. Keep in mind that It is for regular use, i would not recommend buring chain in dirt just to prove a point. Does sharpen nice an easy. I am running it on my old Stihl 009 saw and i am not impress nor dissapponted. Due to the Kerf being on the top of the tooth it tends to snag more things than a normal chain would. So my review give it a Blah, If you can file a chain correctly, dont worry about it.

I bought this item since I was tired of dulling my saw chain in the middle of a pile of wood and having to either change chains or take the time to resharpen. I use this sharpener on a Stihl MS170 16 inch bar. It is very convenient to stop for a minute,

add the sharpener to the bar and push the end against a log for a few seconds and you are ready to cut again.

The chain has the ground edge on the outside of the tooth. I think that the chain cuts a little rougher that a standard chain but the convenience of sharpening in the field outweighs the downside. I have used this sharpener three times this winter.

I saw the Powersharp unit on TV (This Old House segment) and decided to look into it. I've been a chainsaw owner for a good thirty years and sharpening the chain has always been a real pain. I figured that if the Powersharp chain/bar worked, I'd be much better off. I have a Stihl chainsaw, so I ordered the unit that fits the sixteen inch Stihl. When it got here, I had a fair amount of cutting to do from a recent storm.



I found the Powersharp to be relatively easy to install. But the chain was the sharpest that I've seen. Neither my sharpening technique or the one from the local chainsaw store was as sharp as the Powersharp. I only had to sharpen the Powersharp once in the month or so that I've used it. The Powersharp cuts right through the trees, no ifs, ands or buts.



I don't have a lot of experience with the Powersharp, but so far I have no regrets in buying it.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Powersharp Powersharp Powersharp