Wednesday 13 January 2010

8 Gig Usb Flash Drive - 8 gig usb flash drive, flash drive


I bought this for my wife and grandson 5 months ago, I waited to actually give it a fair test period. It has not not given either of them an ounce of problem. It is very reliable and data transfer speed is quick. My wife had a PNY, and it was OK, but it does not compare to the Kingston.



The only drawback is the hole in the end, it is very tiny. I had to purchase a very thin key ring to put on it so they could attach a strap to it. Kingston Digital 8 GB USB 2.0 Hi-speed Datatraveler Flash Drive DT101G2/8GBZ, Red

This Kingston flash drive is similar to the one I owned previously and loved so much. I use a mac and for some reason I'm just not happy with all flash drives, but kingston are very compatible. The red color is very nice, and so is the blue! This particular model of the flash drive has a loop around cap, which really loops a whole 360 degrees, so you'll never lose your caps again (like me). The price on amazon is great, especially if you get it with free shipping :-)

I have a collection of USB thumb drives and use them for a wide range of activities. I transport files, use them as a portable work environment, install portable apps, encrypt them with passwords, transport files from one network to another, use them to boot, ReadyBoost, and run an entire OS - things most consumers will never likely care about.



Because I use them so often, it's hard to get excited over a new USB drive unless it has something new or innovative about the design. I'm not excited about this drive. I had an immediate positive reaction to a USB drive with a similar design concept: a small footprint drive with a swinging metal shield. But where the PNY Micro Swivel Attache perfected the swivel design in a tiny 4GB drive, and the HP v115w Flash Drive did the same in a 16GB model, the Datatraveler made a larger, less elegant cover that can hardly be given that name.



It is a good drive, in that it's an excellent price and performs well. There is an activity light that flashes as the drive is being accessed. I don't use the Kingston app, but instead installed PortableApps on it, which works like a charm. But the cover is about useless, providing little if any protection if you were to place the drive in a briefcase, backpack, pocket or drawer. It's loose and swings freely, never staying in place and offering virtually no protection. If you plug this thing in, and hardly ever remove it, except to plug it right in to another computer, then this is probably not going to trouble you. If you wear your USB on a lanyard, it will also not be too much of an issue, since the lanyard will attach at the cap, and gravity will keep it in place.



The price is excellent, but if you need a more rugged drive that travels well, get one that has a better fitting cover design.

I use thumb drives for various reasons from a portable OS, OS and System tools recovery, and performance boosters. I can say this drive gives you bang for you buck.



I know price has a a lot to do with the Class speed category of the memory used in thumb drives. And for the price I paid (just over $10), I cannot complain. The speed is decent, has a nifty Kingston app on it that allows you to install other popular free apps and games right to it (something I wasn't aware of from Kingston). 8gig for just over $10, you can't go wrong with this purchase. I normally don't rate things 5star, but it also has a built in activity light which is a bonus, so it gets a 5.

The Kingston Digital 8 GB USB 2.0 Hi-speed Datatraveler Glash Drive DT101G2/8GBZ functions very well. The only problem I encountered was to get the driver installed on my computer. I still use Windows Vista. I had to go to the Kingston web site and download the driver. However, with tech support, I discovered I had to unplug my Canon Printer to allow the download to be successful. Kingston tech support, by the way, was the best I have encountered from any other tech support conversation. Kudos to Kingston tech support. I would certainly buy another Kingston product.

I just tried out this Kingston 8 gb USB drive with a couple of my computers. I copied my Amazon MP3 folder from my Mac Mini to this drive using the port on my monitor, which is an older USB 1.0 port. It took almost 8 minutes to transfer 3.64 GB of mp3 files to the drive.

Next, I plugged the drive into my Macbook Pro, which has USB 2.0 ports. It took 3 min 10 sec to transfer the files into my music folder.



I did copy the urdrive software into a folder on my Mac and then deleted from the USB drive before doing the speed tests. I don't know that I'll be using it and it takes up quite a bit of space.

This is a wonderful little USB Flash Drive. The size is perfect for me, as it is small enough to fit in almost all pockets, yet not too small as to be lost easily. My favorite part is the cap design. With a lot of other similar drives, the cap is easily lost or becomes loose and doesn't stay on correctly. The design of this drive's cap removes these complications entirely. Buyers remember that, with the formatting of almost all memory upgrades, the available space is not exactly 8 GB. In this case it is approx 7.5 GB, yet still a wonderful value.

This works fine as a traditional USB drive to transfer and store files. File transfer is speedy. The attached cap is convenient, even if the hole in the cap is a little small. The price is good compared to other USB sticks with similar capacity. I subtracted one star because the stick does not have a full 8 GB capacity. It looks like 7.20 GB (or 7,735,574,528 bytes) with the included software removed. The stick should be advertised as providing "approximately" or "nearly" 8 GB. On the other hand, through urDrive you can sign up for 2 GB free secure online storage for backup. I subtracted another star because the included urDrive software seemed a little hinky to me. There are a few, short instructional/promotional videos on Kingston's urDrive web page, but the videos did not contain much information on how to actually use the software in my opinion. When I launched urDrive, I didn't think the interface was very stable, attractive or useful for transferring files to the USB, although you could use it to organize files once they are on the drive. Other features, like the built in music player and slideshow, are not features I really need or anticipate using. Like another reviewer, I moved the software off the USB to recover a little more space for storing files. In short, it works fine as a regular USB, but it didn't quite deliver on the capacity or extras. - 8 Gig Usb Flash Drive - Flash Drive - Thumb Drive - Kingston Technology'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


8 Gig Usb Flash Drive - 8 gig usb flash drive, flash drive kingston technology 8 Gig Usb Flash Drive - 8 gig usb flash drive, flash drive