Wednesday 9 December 2009

Reel - spinning reel, fishing equipment


This is a very smooth reel and I would have given this a 5 star rating except for two things, the item description and the included extra spool. The listing shows only one picture, but listed four different reel sizes but with no information to tell their actual size. I wanted a larger capacity reel and so I decided against the 20 and 30, and the next available size was the 60. This turned out to be a very large reel, and was not what I was looking for. Had the listing shown a separate picture for this reel or the description included the spool capacities for the different reels, I would not have selected this reel. Fortunately I have a very large catfish rod that can use this reel, but I still need the smaller reel. As to the extra spool, on the GUN 60, this is next to useless. One of the ball bearings is mounted in the main spool and helps make the drag very smooth. The extra spool does not have this ball bearing. In addition the space occupied by the line is approximately 1/4 inch longer on the extra spool, but the winder is designed for the main spool. This causes the line to wind up only on the rear of the spool, which then spills towards the front leaving the line wound very loosely. It would be better if they did not include this spool and reduced their price a buck or two. This may or may not be the case in the other size reels. One thing I noted which is not correct in this listing. It does not have 8 ball bearings, it has 7. The box lists the line roller as a bearing (7+1). This roller is mounted on one of the 7 ball bearings, so I don't understand how they can still call the roller a separate bearing.

Additional info: May 30, 2011,

I just received my newest Gunnison the 40 size. This is the perfect size for my 7 foot rod. Line capacities are as follows. 8/210 10/180 12/150 (lb/yds) This reel is slightly different in its ball bearing arrangement. It still has 7 ball bearings and the line roller mounted on one of the 7, however it has one less bearing in the gearing and two in the spool. The spare spool is only slightly longer the main spool and will probably work although I have not tried it. Like its big brother it has no ball bearing in the spare spool. This reel is still very smooth but does not seem as free as the bigger one. Eagle Claw Gunnison 8 BB Spinning Reel (Size 10)

This reel is not good...the pin holding the crank arm at the elbow falls out on mine..

The reel is made of plastic and flexes all over when reeling in, or maybe it is made of poo, that is what it feels like...The part that anchors the reel to the reel seat is made of flexible plastic... Overall it just sucks, it may seem smooth but only in the store when it has no line or rod attached to it... It does come with an extra plastic spool though... Pure crap... Did I mention that I hate this reel?... Waste of money, waste of space f#%@ this reel!

This is a very good reel.I was not familiar with the reel size specification (10, 20,30,etc) so I assumed the smaller number equaled the smaller reel. That proved correct. The reel was slightly stiff at the upper and lower end of travel, but the application of a little machine oil freed it up. I plan to purchase another Eagle Claw Gunnison 8 to use with my soon to be purchased 9' Crappie Hunter rod.

This real is one of the best reels I ever bought.I have been using is for only a month but it still works great the only thing I had trouble is the plastis is kind of cheap and with the berral that holds the string it was bird nesting I took some off and it works great I have put this reel in the water somany times to get the fish off the hook and it is water tight and smoth as the day I took it out of the box this is the reel that I would recomend

Bought the Size 10 a couple months ago for hard water fishing. It was so smooth I came back to get another, but this time moved up one notch to the Size 20. Needless to say, it's the same good quality and smooth as silk. The only really noticeable difference in physical characteristic is that the bail wire is about double the thickness of the size 10. No problem in my book! - Spinning Reel - Fishing Equipment'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Reel - spinning reel, fishing equipment fishing equipment Reel - spinning reel, fishing equipment