Tuesday 8 December 2009

Dust Collector Accessories - delta, benchtop planers


when I bought my Delta 22-540 planer several years ago, there was no way of catching the piles of chips and dust as they were made. A couple of years later there still was no dust collection accessory available so I quit looking. I happened to do a web search a few weeks back just on a whim and there it was.

I couldn't be happier with this product. It does the job well. It seals where it needs to, a large funnel shape helps chips flow to dust collection port, and installation took all of two seconds. Spin off the wing nuts, lift off old chip deflector, slip on the dust collector, spin on the two wing nuts.

Done. DELTA 50-359 12-Inch Planer Connect

this is the best thing to hit a planer , you will wear out a shop vac trying to keep up with the chips and you still wont get it all .but this makes that easy and you dont miss any dust plus i think it helps to cool your blades which makes them last longer . it is no doubt a good addition to anyones delta planer.

My only "gripe" is that Delta should make this standard equipment on the TP305 instead of having to buy it as an add-on.



That said, the product is as easy as it gets to put on. A few screws and the old one is off and the new one is on. It fits 4" dust collection hose perfectly. I hooked the new planer hood up to my Habour Freight 1HP dust collector. I planed some white oak and with the DC hooked up, nothing was left behind. The new DC adapter for my planer worked perfectly.



If you are debating on whether or not it's worth it to buy this adapter, I say "heck yes!" Before I had a DC my planer left chips and dust all over the place. With my DC and this adapter, it's totally clean.

Yes, I could not believe it, but this darn thing picks up about 90% of the sawdust from my Delta planer. I had to use some duct tape to attack the connector to my 2" vacuum hose, but even that works great. The Delta people need to include this when purchasing their planers.

If you have this planer you need this chip collector. It works, it fits, It's easy to install, you'll get a better cut without the chips flying all around getting caught between the knife and your lumber. It's cheap. I have had this planner for 10 years I should have got the hood sooner. You will need an adapter if your not set-up for four inch collection.

I was a bit weary of ordering this product since there seems to be conflicting opinion as to wheter this part fits the PC305TP. However, I decided to take a chance and ordered it anyway.

Verdict: It fits perfectly. No modifications, hammers, blow torches, or dynamite required.

Although I took 5 minutes to install the hood,I haven't had a chance to use it yet, and probably won't for a couple months. I gave it five stars because its currently rated 4.5 and I didn't want to negatively skew the ratings on a product I haven't fully tested. However, since I was having trouble finding credible information regarding Porter Cable compatibility, I thought others might be having the same issue. That said, I decided to post this review before actually trying the product. Hope this helps.

The 50-359 dust collector connector is fine, but the "recommended" Jet JW1044 4-to-2-1/2-Inch Reducer doesn't fit: The large end is 4" OD. To fit the 50-359 (which has a 4" OD connector), it should be 3.75" OD or 4" ID.

Pros: 1. Great concept. 2. Compact.

Cons: 1. Difficult installation--screw location poor, thanks to Delta. Dust port centered above planer outfeed. ..tough for any dust collection system other than overhead.

I'm sure it's a fine hood -- it's just that the documentation is lacking in this respect. I gave it one star in the hopes that my review will "pop up" for someone else with the 22-560 who's considering this purchase and (like me) couldn't find the correct documentation. After I spoke to the Delta/PC tech rep for the second time, she finally discovered that the dust collection assembly for the 22-560 originally was part number 50-445, but it has since been changed to 5140070-54. (It's NOT part #1342183 -- that's only the dust chute itself, without the rest of the assembly). It's not available on Amazon. Go to servicenet.deltaportercable.com and enter the new part number in the search field. You can order it from there. - Dust Collector Accessories - Planer - Benchtop Planers - Delta'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dust Collector Accessories - delta, benchtop planers dust collector accessories Dust Collector Accessories - delta, benchtop planers