Monday 9 November 2009

Outdoor Furniture - band saws, bandsaw


A good band saw has always been a favorite tool for me and this one so far has proved to be a good one, easy to set up, change blades, etc. This saw replaces an old INCA I've owned for many years and so far I'm excited about this new acquisition. I was a little disappointed because the picture showed a fence included and I didn't read the "In the box" info. That ended up working out just fine though because I then bought the KREG precision fence which coupled with this saw makes for a superb tool, (probably better than if it had come with the JET fence.)



I was happy to see the cast iron wheels instead of the cast aluminum ones I was expecting because I almost bought the POWERMATIC for that reason. I was sold on the built in, large re-saw capability of this saw and no-where in the web page blurb did it mention these wheels. Pleasant surprise and I look forward to many years of use.



I didn't give this saw 5 stars only because JET tools are really solidly built but lack a certain refinement, especially in the adjustment methods they use for alignments. Not a big deal, I can usually work with what is provided, but I choose to be picky about that last star. JET JWBS-14DXPR 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit

I am not into wood working to create an income. I've retired after 36 years of helping thousands of youngsters find some direction in their life. I also do not consider myself more than average in creativity . .,but, thanks to my Dad (who operated a cabinet shop while I was growing up) I still have a yearning to produce functional, quality wood products. He was a "tough" teacher, but, now in my later years; I realize how much of a GENIUS he really was. The one thing he always held as paramount was this: To do the very best, you must have the right tools.

I was able to partially restore his old (at least 45 years old by now) Delta band saw, but there is only so much you can do with something of that age .. . .(hope my wife don't read this). Couldn't even find a decent belt . . had to find the closest in size and shim and shake, etc., to make it fit. Plus, getting it to cut anything over 3 inches thick (even with a new blade) was a chore.

So, I began my research, and for the past few weeks I have read just about everything about bandsaws and the many, many options on the market.

So, I created a priority list:

1. I wanted a quality product that current users held in high regard.

2. I wanted a band saw that was easy to operate.

3. I wanted a saw that could do both "heavy duty" chores, and be able to

drop back to the more delicate cuts without having to go through

too many alterations.

4. I wanted a mid-range price saw that seemed to reflect 1-3 above.



I finally decided on the Jet DXPR because I wanted the capability of cutting 10-12 inch thckness. I know there were several reviews that spoke of an adapter you could put on a regular 14 inch saw to increase from 6 inches to 12 inches, but when I compared the prices, buying the DXPR (it was a little more I think) just made sense.



Well, it arrived today . . about noon. Had to get my wife to help me

lift it onto the base. And, even though I have operated a band saw before, I have never "set one up from scratch". But, within 90 minutes

(in a 94 degree -- non-airconditioned shop) I pushed the first piece of wood through the blade. Yep, started with a piece of quarter inch panel wood . . moved to a 2x4 next, and by 4:00 pm, I dragged a 10 inch oak log off the wood pile and was delighted with how easy it sawed in half.

And that was with the standard quarter inch blade that came with the saw. I don't even have decent blades yet, and have already cut out a small box from a piece of 4x4 that just happend to be within easy reach.



I know, many would like to see a review of someone who has used this saw for 6 months and has put it through all the possible paces. However, even though I am not a super experienced wood artist (yet!), I do feel comfortable that I have purchased a very practical, useful and quality saw that will be able to handle all my current and future requirements.



I was also satisfied with the Amazon.com price, and free shipping. The saw was delivered within 7 days of my order. Plus, the delivery guy (ABF freight, I think) was extremely helpful by helping me get the item off the truck, and onto my trailer. Although he could not get down my drive way with his 18 wheeler, he got as close as he could. I had several emails from both Amazon and the freight company about delivery, plus two phone calls from ABF to assure me of the delivery schedule, etc. The whole process was painless.



Maybe I'll come back in a few months with an update.

IMPORTANT WIRING INFO FIRST: I like this saw very much BUT MY MANUAL CAME WITH AN INCORRECT DIAGRAM FOR WIRING TO 230 VOLTS!! It might be a waste of time to switch this to 230 volts, but if you choose to do so READ THIS. I don't know if all of the manuals have this misprint, but in my manual, on page 30 it shows to connect wires 1 and 2 with the white wire and wires 3 and 4 with black wire on the motor. This is NOT correct. I didn't do it so I can't tell you what will happen when wired like this, but I just got off the phone with Jet tech and it is confirmed that this in NOT correct. If you are converting to 230 Volts the CORRECT way is shown, at least in my manual, on page 11. The CORRECT way is to connect wires 2 and 3 together on the motor, then connect the white wire(which will be a hot wire, not a neutral, in a 230v setup) to wire 1 on the motor. Then connect the black wire(the other hot in a 230v setup) to wire 4 on the motor. Keep in mind that when wiring this for 230v you will have to get an approved 230v plug which will have two hot wires and a ground, NO NEUTRAL IS USED in this 230 volt setup, the white is changed to a hot for 230 volts.



MY REVIEW: The bandsaw is great so far. I have only had it for a couple weeks, but I am a very happy customer. It arrived quickly through amazon super saver shipping, and in perfect condition. Put it together, tuned it up, ADDED THE OPTIONAL FENCE I PURCHASED SEPERATELY WHICH IS SHOWN BUT NOT INCLUDED WITH THE BANDSAW, and was very pleased with the cutting. The unit is a bit heavy for one person to set up on the base. I was able to lift the unit onto the base which was about 200lbs, but it wasn't much fun, get a buddy to help if you can. I have only used the provided blade, which is probably junk and still does fairly well. Can't wait to put the timberwolf blades I have on this. The fine tuning of the guides is a bit unrefined, but still works well with a little time and effort. I was cutting eigth inch veneers in no time and they are very accurate. Tensioning and tracking the blade was simple. I will try to update as I get some real time on this machine, but for now it truely deserves the five stars I gave it. Just don't wire it wrong!! - Woodworking - Band Saw Boxes - Band Saws - Bandsaw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Outdoor Furniture - band saws, bandsaw bandsaw Outdoor Furniture - band saws, bandsaw