Monday 9 November 2009

Grooming Tools - cat grooming, cats


I recently moved in with my boyfriend and his lovely cat. I had forgotten just how much hair they leave on furniture, beds, and clothing while lounging around. I had to come up with a solution because we have navy bed sheets and a friend who is allergic. I had heard a lot about the furminator for dogs, and seen numerous pictures of just how much hair it takes off. I was hoping it would do the same for the cat, I had my doubts because he is a short haired cat and it just didn't seem like he had that much to lose. The first day that I used it I removed about a baseball sized amount of hair when it was all clumped up into a ball, I was shocked!! I used it again on him the next day because after the first session I was just so covered in hair myself I needed a shower, and on the second go around it removed just about as much hair as the first, I was floored. It left him feeling super soft and even looking skinnier. I would highly recommend this product to anyone with a cat, it works so well and will safe you a lot of time cleaning up around the house in the long run. FURminator Short Hair deShedding Tool for Small Cats

I first learned of the FURminator grooming tool from our veterinarian who brought it into the room after our cat had shed all over us. It seemed to be a common occurrence when we were at the vet. Yes we combed our cats at home but for some reason never got all that deep hair out and a nervous cat at the vet is the place to shed right! Well that's where the difference lies with this tool. When the vet told us they run about $40 she wasn't kidding.

I thought ok lets see if Amazon has one. If you shop around here you can find it for less than $40. The money in my opinion is well spent. The cats seem to like it and it sure does de-shed the hair! It even has a ejector button to push the hair out. You will notice a lot of the hair ends up on the end of your cat by its tail but that's ok, as long as your getting it out right!

You will want the short haired version if your cats hair is just under 2 inches long.

The short stainless steel edge gets down deep beneath the cats short topcoat and removes the undercoat and all that loose hair before it ends up all over your house.



You do not want to use this on a cats hair if its wet.

Never brush with this tool if your cat has any sores on its skin or if there is an area that is matted. You need to get the tangles out before using the FURminator.

Again the money spent is a little high in my opinion,but it really does work, where other combs don't even start to remove the dead coat that's deep down on your cat.

The Furminator arrived on time and was just as described. This is one amazing tool. My long hair cat loved to be brushed but we sort of play a game of "follow me around the room" and then I will let you, my slave, brush me. Can't believe how much fur I got off her with just one session. She even let me brush her "pantaloons" (the backs of her legs). Expensive tool, but worth it.

I have never seem so much hair come off of my Maine Coon - he is a shedding machine and this thing removes tons of hair. My cat likes it for the first minute or two, then I think he gets over stimulated and I have to stop using it. The only drawback is that the hair it takes off becomes so statically charged that it sometimes shoots off the brush into the air - looks like fireworks! I am wondering if I try the Furminator dry shampoo first, if that will alleviate some of the static. I do recommend this brush if you have a high-shedding cat like me (though get the right one for your pet - the long hair one does nothing on my short hair cat).

Amazing deshedding tool! I really can't praise this tool enough about it's actual deshedding capabilities. I purchased the Bamboo 3-in-1 glove at Petco a few weeks earlier and thought it was an excellent massaging tool but a horrible hair removal tool since my (new) cat's hair was everywhere! So I decided to buy the Furminator. Upon first swipe, I knew this was a keeper! After 5 minutes of brushing with the Bamboo was pretty much equivalent to one brush with the Furminator!



So enough with the praising and allow me to move on to what I dislike about it. Ultimately why I didn't give it a five-star review is because of two reasons: 1) My cat is lukewarm to its "massaging" benefits. This isn't entirely the Furminator's fault, but nonetheless, I have to entice my cat with the Bamboo glove first (he loves the Bamboo glove and tolerates the Furminator). 2.) Once the hair is off, it flies everywhere! This is ultimately my huge dislike. And it could be because my cat's hair is quite short (he's a British Shorthair), and it might not be as big of an issue with longer-hair cats, but because it's not matted, the loose hair goes everywhere--particularly onto me. I'm wondering if they can put some sort of cat hair-retaining device at the back end so that at least the loose hair flies directionally toward the front and not onto me! That way the cat AND I can be loose fur-free.

I saw the FURminator video and read the reviews on this device before purchasing it. Even though I was skeptical and thought it was initially overpriced, I ordered one anyway because I have 3 short-haired cats who are shedding their winter coats like crazy. Fur everywhere! I bought the FURminator short-hair deShedding tool for large cats (over 10 lbs). When I removed it from the plastic container I was immediately impressed by the solid, heavy construction and comfortable feel...this is no cheaply built product and truly feels like a professional tool! I immediately went to work on the cats with AMAZING results; repeat, AMAZING! Hair just started coming off in huge clumps with no adverse effect to the cat's coat! The grooming action does build up static electricity quickly which makes the hair start clingling to everything, but you can prevent this by spritzing a mixture of 1/4 baby oil and 3/4 water on the cat's coat...just enough to dampen the fur. (It's safe for the cat...I read about this "cure dry skin" technique on a veterinary website.) Stroke the baby oil solution into the fur with your hands (the cat won't mind), then draw the FURminator from neck to tip of tail. The damp fur comes off evenly and easily. Keep grooming until the fur is dry...it'll produce a couple handfuls on a 12-15 lbs short-haired cat. You can use the large comb on medium-sized cats too with no problem or discomfort (5 lbs and up). I'm truly sold on this product and will probably buy a couple more for Christmas presents! (No, I don't work for FURminator, but I hope the inventor makes a million bucks. I love this product!) Don't hesitate to add this to your shopping cart. It's great and you'll be happy with your purchase...so will your cat! - Deshedding - Cat Hair - Cats - Cat Grooming'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Grooming Tools - cat grooming, cats deshedding Grooming Tools - cat grooming, cats