Friday 6 November 2009

Multi-max


I received my Dremel Multi-Max about a week ago and was anxious to try it out on a serious project. The Project: Cut out exterior window molding that had begun to rot. The tool did the job as expected; in fact I felt like a surgeon cutting out a tumor. However, after just a few minutes of use, the blade came off - not good. The tool oscillates at a high rate of speed which also means it vibrates. I must admit when I installed the blade I was skeptical that a simple hex nut and beveled washer would hold the blade in place. Obviously, it didn't (and yes, the beveled washer was installed correctly per Dremel's clear warning). I reinstalled the blade and re-tightened the hex-nut (forcefully to the point the amount of torque made me wonder how long the hub mount would last).



I contacted Dremel and they admitted the loosening blade was a known issue and a fix had been developed in the form of another washer (I presumed a lock washer, but the customer service rep was not sure). She offered to overnight express the washer to me and of course I declined the generous offer and suggested they simply drop it in the mailbox.



Aside from this mishap, I'm pleased and the prospects of the tool are very good. As the first reviewer points out, the blades that come with the kit are wood only blades. However, metal and grout blades are available. Here's my rating of the various aspects of the tool:



1. Ergonomics - 5-star. Ergonomically, this tool feels good in your hand. Not too big with enough heft to feel like a quality tool. I have used the Fein Multi-master which is bigger and heavier than the Dremel version. However, I like the feel of the Dremel.



2. Power - 5-star. Although I cut through relatively easy-to-cut pine, the tool never felt under-powered. For most projects where you'd use this tool, I don't think power will be an issue. The ability to cut through materials is likely to be dictated by the blade used (true of any saw).



3. Durability - ?-star. Time will tell. My guess is that the blade changing hub will be the first to go if you end up changing blades frequently.



4. Blade Change Feature - 2-star. In the era of quick blade change everything, Dremel missed the mark with a conventional hex screw setup. It is a slow process of switching from one blade to another. This is where the Fein tool has a distinct edge.



5. Carrying Case - 5-star. Surprisingly nice, well made, attractive, and can hold a few extra blades.



6. Cord Length - 3-star. It's 6' feet long and of avg quality. Would have been nice if longer and more rubbery than plastic (just doesn't uncoil like you'd expect from a good quality electric tool). However, tools with long cords can introduce some baggage.



7. Dremel Customer Service - 5-star. My experience exceeded my expectations. Other companies should take notice.



8. Value - 4-star. In case you're unaware, Fein had the patent on the oscillating saw until September 30, 2008. This is why it cost $400+ all these years. On October 1st, Dremel, Bosch, and Chicago all came out with competing versions. The Chicago version is on sale at Harbor Freight for $39 while the Bosch (which is battery operated) is just under $200. At just under $100, the Dremel is likely a little over-priced, but, still a decent value. I suspect once Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee, Ridgid, and others get in on the act, the price will get closer to $50. Their money is made with the replacement blades.



Washer Update - I received the washer from Dremel. As I said above, their customer service was impressive; at least over the phone. The washer I receiver appears to be more of a passifier instead of a solution. It is a flat washer that is significantly over-sized; not fitting the hub's shaft. I finally bought a right-sized lock-washer and it appears to have done the trick. I retract my 5-star Dremel Customer Service rating above, however, I still recommend the product. Dremel 6300-01 120-Volt Multi-Max Oscillating Kit

I've always loved my Dremel tools so I jumped on this & bought it as soon as it was available. I didn't read the "fine print" that it's for WOOD ONLY. I wish someone would have warned me.



The Dremel Multi-Max does NOT have a "REAL" METAL=IRON=NAILS cutting blade! It is not ready for prime time, i.e. a busy worksite! Even Bosch makes their PS50 use a Fein blade adapter.



One the other hand, it is SUPER on wood by itself (= 5 STARS !!). Plunge cuts into 3/4 sub-floor plywood for air ducts are wonderfully smooth, pencil line thin, cuts with very little dust thrown about. Detail smoothing, edgeing, shaping around hard to get at places is as easy as can be. I've even "planed" slivers off of cupboard doors, and other tightly fitted pieces, so they fit snug but don't rub/touch. The more I use it the more I LOVE it!



But even home DIY projects have nails in them. Careful! Just get a Fein 250Q instead ($$), or get the Bosch PS50 (8 minute battery)(Dremel's parent company) and use Fein blades for small projects. Save yourself some frustration & dull/broken blades if you are out of a wood working shop.



Bosch/Dremel says that they will actually send "replacement" blade stock to stores sometime in November. Here's hoping (After CPODremel unceremoniously CANCELLED my order through Amazon!)! I've hit a couple of nails so far and the kit included blade still works for now. I'm getting the 422 blades when available because they are the strongest.



Two week owner Update: Lovin' it more each time I turn it on! I'm now glad I got mine before they raised the price! You betcha!



Three week update: The blades haven't actually broken on nails yet. And it still seems to cut OK, as in - not too dull. Got a B&D CHS6000 6-Volt Handisaw for those pesky nails when I find them. Seems to be a good combo as the Handisaw will cut a bit faster on heavier wood after the M-Max defines the cut line & corner shapes, which it is super at. The limited amount and lack of dispersion of sawdust still surprises me every time!



I've tried several ways to make my overall review 4 stars but Amazon doesn't change it. Sorry, Dremel...



12-02: Added three images of a sub-floor patch showing the use of a Guide Board to get real square straight & parallel to the supporting joist. Wore out the first Wood Cut MM440 blade to butter knife sharpness. It just smoked when pressed to the wood-- after several dozen yards of 3/4 plywood and hitting numerous nails. Not too bad for a one inch cutting surface.



Jan-09 update: Blades seem to last longer now that I know to work around nails (when I can). Another things that makes cutting easier, especially in thicker wood, is to wiggle the blade from side to side as cutting to give it a little more air around the blade. This reduces friction (=heat) and allows the dust to escape. When cutting I use almost no pressure (hard habit to break after using other power tools) so "the blade does the work". Seems to go even faster!



I've gotten so used to this tool I need to remind myself to use a sawsall or bigger power tool for bigger jobs (just to save the blade). It doesn't get hot (small efficient motor?) or uncomfortable in the hand after long use. And I did get the extra washer to hold the blade on (thanks!) but never had one come loose myself. I've finished most of my big projects with the MMs help so I thought I'd give a shoutout "Thanks!" to Dremel while I remembered.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Multi-max Multi-max Multi-max