Sunday 8 November 2009

Light Weight - frogg toggs, backpacking


I bought a set of these Frogg Toggs because they are specifically advertised as being a motorcycle/outdoor rain suit. I wore them ONCE for 1 hour on my motorcycle and both legs had holes melted through. The left leg doesn't even have pipes NEAR it and it still developed holes. The right leg didn't touch the pipe and still melted in large patches. I couldn't figure out what happened until I tested the material near my pipes and found that they WILL MELT without touching the pipes - but just by being near them.



Buyer beware. False advertising and a horrible product not designed for its use.



Edit: I've talked with Frogg Togg (the company) and they have agreed to send me a couple of the patch kits which they tell me are heat resistant. Although my previous criticism still holds I have to say that Frogg Toggs is a good company with excellent customer support. I would recommend this rain gear as long as you put the heat resistant patches on. Frogg Toggs Road Toad Reflective Wind and Rain Suit, Black/Silver, Large

I bought the Frogg Toggs after doing quite a bit of research. These work great for my motorcycle, I've heard that they melt on hot pipes. I don't have that problem because my motorcycle is covered in fiberglass. I used these on a road trip and the temprature was in the 90's. The air flowed easily through them and I was cool even though I was covered up. When it rained they kept me dry. As far as I can see it's the best of both worlds and I would recommend these to anyone taking a road trip.

First time I used this rain suit the zipper let loose from the bottom up. I was able to repair the problem and discovered this won't happen if your very careful when starting the zippor. The fit is not that great for short people. The elastic around the waist leaves alot of loose material in the chest area. Made me look like a black Pillsbury dough boy. The material itself is not what I expected. It looks like I could polk my finger through it if I really tried. It does have it's good points. Reflective white piping, a little carrying bag, it keeps the rain off and it does breath so you won't get sticky from traped moisture.

I've really put this gear to the test! I bought the Frogg Toggs Elite Highway Rain Gear specifically because of the reflective properties and design for motorcycle use. It rained ( and hailed a bit ) from the moment I left Denver until I was just outside of Topeka, KS. At every stop along the way and at hotel in Topeka I was bone dry! I love this gear and keep it in the pannier on my bike always. I ride a BMW R1200RT in all types of conditions and never leave home without this gear. It's been field tested on long tours and during local commutes and gets my full endorsement. Easy to pull on over boots and fits good over my other motorcycle gear. As to reviews complaining of melting: I don't know of a rain gear made that withstands heat. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

I've owned this suit for about 4 months and it's falling apart. The material is a thin plastic layer coated on both sides with fuzzy plastic. The fuzz wears off quickly, then the thin plastic falls apart. The zipper teeth regularly pull apart without undoing the zipper slider. The upsides of this suit are that it works well at first and is low cost. It would be good as a backup you don't plan to use more than a few times anyway



Pros: cheap, effective(initially), compact



Cons: won't last

I highly recommend this suit, but there are conditions;

Advantages; very light weight, jacket & pant together weight about 1 LB. They compress into a carry bag(included) about the size of a 2-liter Coke bottle. The integrated hood folds into the collar, goes easily under a full helmet and keeps water from dripping down your back. The jacket has good elastic, draw strings and zippers in the right places. The pants are simple and practical. A draw-string waistband, legs have elastic plus zippers at the bottom, would go easily over boots. Has covered slits on both sides to access your pants pockets. The reflective strips are visible to headlights a block away. Material does breath very well, I was comfortable, dry & not sweaty at ride's end.

Disadvantages: no pockets in jacket or pants. Material is very thin, almost like tissue paper. It will rip easily, be warned. I can see how it would melt on contact with pipes. I may contact the company to get a patch kit just in case. The reflective strips are good, but in an accident, the suit will give you no protection. The orange is not flourecent, it is rather dull, I would have liked a brighter color for safety(I think new colors are coming out).

Advice; this is NOT for everyday use. It will be good for emergency use if you're caught in a downpour, or have to ride (as I did) on a rainy day. It will not replace chaps or a good riding jacket. It is designed to be cool, it will not keep you warm in cold weather. It is baggy(purposely) but buy it big enough; my X-large goes easily over a heavy armored jacket, but the material will not stretch, it will rip if you pull it too much. The X-large pants would go over chaps OK. (I am 6'1", 200 LB) It is hard to get on quickly over heavy clothes, you need to take your time, any pulling & it will rip. Put it on before it starts raining, you won't even know you have it on, unlike heavy vinyl rainsuits or ponchos that are sweat factories. Follow this advice, it should last you for years.

Ordered these to ride in some potential rain coming back from LA. Glad I had them as it was pelting down.

The only downside was the pants would ride up over the boots. It would be nice to have some elastics to hold the legs down. A small amount of water got in near the crotch. I think the openings for the pockets were letting water in.

Overall not bad though.

Overall this product is fine - it keeps you dry. The material is light weight and breathes well - not like a sheet of plastic as one might expect. My major complaint is that the zipper is of very poor quality. I would have gladly paid five dollars more for a brass zipper. Be aware that this product is made in China, some other products made by this companies are or were of domestic origin. - Frogg Toggs - Backpacking - Cycling - Bicycle Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Light Weight - frogg toggs, backpacking frogg toggs Light Weight - frogg toggs, backpacking