Wednesday 7 October 2009

Sorels Winter Snow Boots - sorel, sorels winter snow boots


These boots (Sorel Conquest) are awesome! Yes, if you stand around for a hours, not moving your feet, they will get a little cold. But so far I have worn them to -38 degree weather for about 5 hours while I was hunting here in Alaska. My feet were on fire and sweaty by the time I get them off. And that's wearing boot socks, not thick winter socks. After 17 years in the military I thought I wouldn't EVER wear anything but Danner's on my feet, but I have to hand it to Sorel with these boots. So far they are awesome. I tell everyone that ask about them, if they like there feet to be warm and toasty when it's cold outside they should buy them. And trust me, here around Fairbanks we know what cold is! (-40 to -60) Sorel Men's Conquest NM1049 Boot,Bark,14 M

Sizing: Feels half size too small

Pros:Comfortable, Durable, Great Traction, Non-slip sole, Stable, Warm, Water Resistant

Best Uses:Backcountry, Cold weather, Day hikes, Everyday, Stadium, Wet Weather



This is a great cold weather boot. Wear them for winter hiking, camping, or to a cold football game. There is a shorter, lighter, but not quite as warm version, the Sorel Timberwolf. Of course you should apply waterproofing to any boot such as Niwax. Finally, warm boots won't help if you do not layer with good long underwear and hat or balaclava.

I purchased these about three years ago and walk in them mostly.They have split at the seam between the leather and the rubber.They were sized properly,but the design is poor,and if you flex them much,the seams come apart. Too bad,because they were a nice boot for 1 year.The second year,they started to split and this year they are not useable and have been replaced.I was hoping they might have redesigned them,but it appears they are the same construction.I will choose a different design of waterproof boot.If you are active in your boots,look for a different model.

I have a size 15 foot, so I'm typically not very picky when it comes to shoes. This boot, however, seemed to be lacking because it seems to focus more on looks than function - and looks are the last thing I care about when I'm clomping around in the woods on a cold/wet/snowy day:).



Even though they didn't work out for me, I do think these boots look pretty nice. They also seem like they would be fairly warm; although, I sent them back before I wore them in really cold weather.



Here are the main problems I had with these boots:

1) They are a major pain to lace up. There are no speed-lace hooks which makes it really hard to get these laced up tight. If you just want to pull them on and off quickly, they will feel more like a snow/PAC boot - which is fine if that's what you are looking for.

2) The achilles adjustment strap helps to overcome the crummy lacing system, but the clips feel extremely cheap. I suspect the clips wouldn't last long before breaking if you tighten them up enough to be useful.

3) The barrel lock closure actually seems like a great idea on a boot like this. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it even close to tightening up enough to keep moisture out - the best I could do was a 1/2" gap all the way around (at least for my skinny legs:)).



After trying these boots out, I decided to go with the Columbia Bugaboot for about the same price. Those don't look as cool, but they sure do work better since I can lace them up quickly and then take off hiking. The Columbia boots also have 50% more insulation (600g vs 400g), yet fit more like a hiking boot rather than a snow boot.



Overall, I guess I'd have to recommend these with reservations. For occasional use while shoveling the driveway they would work great - but if you plan to take them into the woods I would look elsewhere.

This boot is warm and has decent build quality. It is bigger than it looks, though. I bought it partly because I was hoping for a warm boot that wasn't as loose and "galumphy" as a traditional pac boot. I was looking for something that fit more securely and was a bit lighter - more a warm hiking boot. This boot has full laces but you can't realy make it snug like a hiking boot. It is closer to a pac boot than a hiking boot.



The gaiter "keeper" bites your shin if you don't have enough pant/padding stuffed into the boot.



They are warm and comfortable, and over all a decent boot - but they don't have removable liners and quite the same ease of off/on as a pac boot, and they don't fit as securely or comfortably as a hiking boot. They are clearly a compromise.

I bought this boot for my husband and they arrived this week, just in time for all the snow. When he came in from snowblowing, his feet were still warm and dry as if he were just going out!! Perfect for him, he said he love these boots and that they are very, very comfortable. So if you are looking for a good warm and waterproof boot that's not heavy, these boots are what you are looking for. Perfect for all of this Chicago snow we are having now!

than other boots I have purchased. I got them for a great price on Amazon, so maybe that impacts what I expected, but I was very pleased. I bought three pair of shoes from Amazon including these at the same time. These are by far the most comfortable and best made. I love them.



As far as fit goes, some said they run large. I don't think they do. Mine fit perfectly. A pair of Columbia shoes I bought are an inch shorter in the same size and are way way too tight. And interestingly enough, on that shoe, buyers are complaining they run way too small.



Not sure what Sorels were before, but I like them now. :-) - Boots - Sorel - Winter Boots - Sorels Winter Snow Boots'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sorels Winter Snow Boots - sorel, sorels winter snow boots sorels winter snow boots Sorels Winter Snow Boots - sorel, sorels winter snow boots