Tuesday 20 October 2009

Smoke Alarms - alarms, kidde


The tamper resistant feature is nice, if you have kids, but who reads the manual first?



I figured it to be "plug and play" but after I installed the battery and did NOT plug it into a wall outlet, the alarm went off like it was doomsday. First gut reaction was, it's detecting CO in the house!!!? Second gut reaction, too big of a coincidence. So I returned it and got a replacement. This time I put in the battery and luckily plugged it in before the two minute countdown. Unknown to me, as soon as you insert the backup battery you have 2 minutes to plug the unit in a wall outlet before the alarm goes off.



Late in the evening, after plugging it in, I wanted to put it in another room and all "heck" broke loose (85db) before I figured out that the little switch on the back had to be pressed before it would stop and NOT the big test button on the front. Another note I would like to point out... it sounds identical to a fire alarm. Personally, I wished it would have it's own unique sound so there would be no confusion whether it's a fire in the house or the Nighthawk detecting Carbon Monoxide. All in all, the detector seems solid although the test button is "funky." Consumer Research gave it very good ratings and the lil green light tells me it on - so I'm confident about this purchase.



Note: I'm good at hooking up home theater systems and calibrating HDTVs without referring back to the manual. So plugging in this CO detector turned into a lesson of humility for me. So please read the manual first. Kidde 900-0235 Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Long Life AC Powered with Battery Backup

As I replaced my smoke detectors I thought it would be wise to replace my co2 detectors as well. I found the 900-0235 to be a good value and easy to set-up. I have 3 plugged in and after 2 weeks and am pleased. Does not get any more dull than this which is exactly what I expect with a product like this.

I'm glad I read the reviews before purchasing. I knew to anticipate there was a countdown between when you put the battery in and when it starts blaring. I also knew you could disable the tamper feature, otherwise you can never unplug this (to move it to a different outlet) without it going off at an ear-piercing decibel level. I wore ear plugs while setting this up, just in case, but it never inadvertently went off on me. I also suggest wearing ear plugs when you test your unit. It's very loud, even with ear plugs in. I imagine it would hurt your ears if you weren't prepared.



I've had no problems with it over the last few weeks. It's great that this unit is supposed to last 7 years. My old one only lasted two years and it was about the same price.

This is a perfectly functional device. You only have 30 seconds to plug it into the wall after you put the battery in. A tid bit that we got from googling. It is working just fine now. Came fast too.

First of all, thanks to the previous reviewers! I got the detector today and I switched the tamper button, inserted the battery and plugged it in right away. I tested it out and does beep 4 (or 5 times?) properly. Everything seems fine, I just hope it lasts a good 7 years. We'll see. Great price and good product.

As of July 30, 2011 the State of California requires, at a minimum, a carbon dioxide detector in each and every residence. This one is great. It's unobtrusive and, when plugged into the outlet, still allows access to the other plug. I guess I'll know it works if and when it ever goes off. I'm glad I read the reviews first and knew to plug into the outlet as soon as possible after installing the battery. It was so much easier to shop online at Amazon to make this purchase rather than drive to stores perusing their limited selections.

I had no problem installing these at all. A lot of the reviews griped about how the alarm went off during the installation, they got false alarms, etc. I don't think they read the instructions. The instructions are very clear (even with photographs)! I guess the schools today are lacking in teaching people how to read. Time will tell how long the battery lasts. That's why I only gave it 4 stars in lieu of 5. But, a 9 volt battery beats AA batteries anytime. These do have a 7 year lifespan (on the unit) while the other one is 5 years (per the manufacturer's website).

I bought two of these for my home. Both came with good batteries and appear to be working; that is, a green light is on and I'm still conscious. I believe that means there's not enough CO to fret about.



Check out the other model (900-0234) if you want a digital readout telling you exactly how much CO is in the air. I considered that model, but decided the readout wasn't worth the price difference. Also, I don't think I would actually look at the detector unless an alarm was going off. At that point, it's time to get out regardless of the number on the readout. For me, this simple detector does everything I need it to do - sniff quietly in the background and beep loudly when I need to leave. - Alarms - Co Detector - Carbon Monoxide - Kidde'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Smoke Alarms - alarms, kidde alarms Smoke Alarms - alarms, kidde