Monday 5 October 2009

Razor Blade - milwaukee, sawzall blades


Milwaukee 48-00-1301 Sawzall Pruning Blade 5 Teeth per Inch 9-Inch



I use these blades in a Milwaukee V28 cordless Sawzall, clearing heavy bushes, e.g., up to 3" trunks. They cut much faster, with less sticking, than blades made for construction wood or demolition, and are pretty clog-resistant because of the large teeth. That results in less work, since you don't have to hold a vibrating saw as long. If you're using a cordless saw, you'll get more done with each battery charge, since these blades cut faster. 9" is the right length for branches/trunks up to 7" or so.



These blades work great on other projects, such as cutting pressure treated 6x6's, fence posts, split-rail fencing, etc. However, avoid any wood that may have nails in it. When these blades hit a nail, the large teeth dull quickly. For wood with nails, use demolition blades.



One reviewer said his blades bent. Any reciprocating saw blade will bend if the tip hits something hard while the saw is running. A blade can also bend if it binds near the tip; e.g., if you hit a green knot. When a blade bends, use pliers to straighten it out as best you can, but absolutely wear safety glasses, as tempered steel can shatter.



If you're going to be pruning or fencing with a reciprocating saw, get some of these excellent blades. Milwaukee 48-00-1301 Sawzall 9-Inch 5-Teeth per Inch Pruning Blade, 5-Pack

I needed to do quite a bit of quick branch pruning before a renovation project could start, and the branches were too large for pruning shears and too small for my chain saw. My Sawzall came to mind, so I found the largest tooth long blades that I had and went to work. It went pretty well, considering, but the blades would foul and tend to bind too often. Still, the job was completed much faster than I expected.



That evening, Amazon tempted me by showing me these blades, and I bought them. First, they are very sharp, and the significant set and large teeth amplify this, so use gloves and care when handling the blades. I was cut just while opening the plastic container. Second, they cut green wood great, much easier than the other demolition blades I tried, and they have not fouled up on me at all.



Now, what I want to know is: why am I suddenly doing all of this pruning?

I wasn't aware that Milwaukee made a dedicated pruning blade until they were recommended along with the Sawzall I recently ordered here on Amazon. They are excellent! I used one to prune out some old 2"-3" trunks on some multi-trunked large shrubs I am reshaping. You can get them into places you could never get a hand saw or chain saw. In my experience they made perfect clean cuts, and by "feathering" the saw switch, I could finesse out some difficult branches. I like them so well I plan to order some twelve inch blades, and possibly rethink whether I even need to replace my chain saw!

Have used these blades for mostly trimming pine branches and dead brush up to 4" in diameter(haven't tried anything bigger). Works even better with a sawzall that has a selectable orbital action like the smaller Milwaukee 6514-21 Hatchet. Great for breaking up brush that you're going to burn at the campfire instead of trying to break with hands and feet or dealing with rearranging half burnt over sized wood.

These blades are very sturdy and durable, and generally well designed for the task. Blades stay pretty sharp even after extensive use. I have sawed my way through about 20 willow tree shoots measuring 2 to 3 inches in diameter, and about 20 feet tall, and I'm still using my first saw blade. All of that cutting included sawing the limbs into 12-inch lengths for later use in my wood stove.

I recently purchased a Ryobi 18V reciprocating saw (the yellow one) to go along with my other One+ tools. I know it's not the most heavy weight tool, but I already have the batteries. Regardless, I've mainly being using it to cut down scrub brush and pruning small trees on my property. And for this purpose it is fine. After trying the wood blade that came with the saw, a white Milwaukee "Axe" blade and now these green Milwaukee pruning blades, I can say that these are noticeably better at cutting wiggly living tree branches: less vibration and faster cutting, which translates to fewer blisters and more trimmed branches.



In general, I'm very satisfied.

The blades are high quality, but are better suited to cutting branches 1" or larger that are not flexible. Smaller flexible branches get caught between blade teeth. The blades are indeed very sharp, so handle carefully with gloves and don't store them loose in your sawzall case.

Excellent saw blades; mine arrived plain steel-colored, not green. Big whup. More importantly, be sure as you're using them to rock the blade up and down, or, better, saw back and forth to allow sawdust to clear from the teeth. With the minimal back-and-forth of a recip saw, the teeth don't clear the wood on every stroke, but you can in fact cut a 9" log with the 9" blade, you just have to do a wee bit of help. - Sawzall Blades - Reciprocating Saw Blades - Milwaukee - Pruning'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Razor Blade - milwaukee, sawzall blades reciprocating saw blades Razor Blade - milwaukee, sawzall blades