Wednesday 14 October 2009

3m - picture hanging materials


I normally love 3M hook products. They make it so I don't have to worry about holes in my apartment walls. However these 3M hooks, as well as the one for smaller weights, don't work at all. The first one I tried I was very careful to weigh the frame and hang it appropriately. Within 24 hours the frame fell, breaking upon impact, and causing quite a freight in my dog.



The second one lasted a bit longer but still fell, thankfully I had planned ahead and placed something to break it's fall. I'm extremely disappointed. It was a handmade frame that I will now have to take time and money to repair. I've been using all sorts of 3M products and these ones simply fail on all accounts. I'd say to anyone to simply bite the bullet and place a cheaper, stinger, nail and hole into you wall. Yes you may have to repair it after, but it's better than constantly worrying about your pictures falling on you. Command 17048 Sticky Nail Wire-Back Hanger, White, 1 Hanger 4 Large 2 Mini Strips

I tried these stupid things twice. Followed directions to a "T" in both cases. The first try was with the one rated for 5lbs and the 3lb picture fell. SO I tried again with the 7 lb rated hanger. The picture fell again. Lucky I put a pile of clothes under it in case it fell. These things are such crap!

I have used these several times and have had no problem. I am hanging a 6 lb clock in our living room and very nice frame with my college degree in it that is probably around 4 lbs. and have had no issues whatsoever. I love these things. I have used the hooks, velcro pictures holders, etc. We won't have to pay for any holes in the walls when we move out of our apartment. Thanks 3M!

Followed directions to the letter. Placed a expensive framed memento that weighed just over four pounds on the hook. Result frame fell and glass broke. Will cost $200 to have re-framed. The weight limit for the product was eight pounds.

I searched high and low for these in my city. Most stores that carried the 3M Command hooks did not have the wire-backed variety. I finally found them. I needed these as my newly acquired piece of art was wire-backed. The picture weighed 6 pounds. I used both hooks included in the package mounted so as to distribute the weight evenly between both hooks. I followed the mounting instructions on the package. I waited until the next day to hang the picture and that night it fell. One of the hooks came down completely. The second one was still there on the wall.



My walls were clean. In fact newly painted and smooth free of any dust etc I swiffered it myself as I am a bit of a stickler about putting things up after an area has been properly cleaned. So these just aren't worth their salt.



But if you watch the commercial they are telling you that in a subtle way. Nothing is hung on these hooks of any size or substance they are designed to hold 1 - 2 pounds.



My advice would be unless you are hanging very small pictures that weigh a few ounces.....just make the holes in your walls to hang your art. They holes really aren't hard to repair and not worth having your art crashing to the floor and risk possibly damaging the frame and/or the art itself. - Picture Hanging Materials'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


3m - picture hanging materials picture hanging materials 3m - picture hanging materials