Thursday 6 August 2009

Jewelry Making - wire jewelry, earring design


I have bought many many manyyyyyyy jewelry books over the years as well as magazines, dvds, etc. I am a wire wrapper - self taught who mainly makes things for friends and family (not as a living). I hate fluff books that seem to be fabulous but really don't deliver the kind of talent and designs I am looking for in order to grow as an artist. This book is WONDERFUL. I love the designs and the next level of technique that the author imparts to her audience. PLEASE PLEASE do more books like this. I am in awe! Each project is unique compared to the run of the mill earrings available in many books that I have. I have wanted to learn how to wrap small gemstones to wire in a tasteful design (earrings) and this book shows me how. Get this book. You won't be disappointed! Renee S.



ALSO...if you are unaware of this, Stephanie has this video (and others) on you tube: [...] The Earring Style Book: Making Designer Earrings, Capturing Celebrity Style, and Getting the Look for Less

The Earring Style Book is well done. Good pictures, nice directions; clear enough for even beginners to figure it out and execute the designs with a bit of practice. I liked that there was a separate chapter just to work through the basic frames that form the foundation for many of the styles; this enables readers to gain proficiency in a handful of basics, and then embellish the frames with an infinite, personalized variety of beads and stones. Definitely recommend this book.

I've bought lots of jewellary and beading books (including those dedicated just to earrings) and this one is by far the best to date. In most of them I struggle to find half a dozen styles I would like to make. I plan on making most of the ones in this book. No money wasted on this one.



I particualrly like the way each design is shwon true to size in the corner of the page. Ranging from easy to harder designs it would also suit a beginner wire worker. I'll be going for the more complicated ones. Great photos and easy to follow instructions. A must for any jewellary maker's library.

I work in the fashion industry as a wardrobe stylist and have tried many "how-to" books on jewelry as I am always trying to get my clients the newest and hottest pieces for their wardrobe. This book shows you step-by-step how to create some of today's must have styles! I was so excited to see instructions on how to make my favorite looks at home. It was also really cool to see these styles on some of Hollywood's heaviest hitters and then duplicate the styles in your own home. I have already bought several copies for the stylish friends on my Christmas list.

I'll preface my review by saying that I have been doing wire work of my own for almost 10 years. I've moved up to doing torch work and filigree and other complex pieces, but wire is what I started with and wire is what I love. It's a beautiful medium to work with and produces virtually limitless results.



I have to say that I love everything about this book! While I didn't personally learn a lot of new techniques, anyone who hadn't been doing wire work for so long definitely would have. (I don't say this to sound snobby, but to be honest for other advanced level jewelry artists out there.) The techniques are simple and easy, and this is absolutely not a negative. It's the versatility of the solid and simple foundation you'll learn that makes these designs so great and so timeless. You'll find not just technique instruction, but a huge amount of inspiration to design for yourself. You can't help but feel inspired by what you see in this book. You can't help but come away with several ideas for originals of your own!



Use these ideas not just for earrings, but for pendants, bracelets (link pieces together!), and any other array of jewelry designs. The whole book is beautifully executed, and the pictures are clear and perfect.



I admire Stephanie SO much for being willing to share these techniques and to show what a beautiful variety of jewelry can be created from such humble beginnings. Like a really good cookie dough recipe, you take that beginning, add your own ingredients and spices, and your results will be both delicious and different from the results of someone else using the same starting recipe. After 10 years and learning many, many new skills, it's still all about the wire and beads for me. I love it!

This is a beautiful book full of marvelously attractive designs for earrings made in various metals. Some earrings are embellished with gemstones or silk, and there's a lot of variety. The artist bases many of her designs on "frames" made from shaped and hammered wire, and then shows lots of ways to embellish these frames. She also uses premade chain as an element in several of her designs. The techniques she uses are adaptable to a wide range of metals and can be adapted to make other jewelry items, such as pendants and charms. I really enjoyed looking through the book and my fingers are itching to start making earrings based on these designs.

I do have some quibbles. First, I've been making jewelry for many years, and while I'm sure I can make everything in the book, this shouldn't be your first or second jewelry-making book. I think you should be thoroughly acquainted with wireworking before attempting some of these designs. Some of the basic instructions may not be sufficient for beginners. There are almost no step-by-step illustrations and some topics aren't explained or illustrated sufficiently if you don't already understand them. For example, the topic of opening and closing jump rings is not illustrated at all; there's a "Note" in small type on p. 39 and that's it. Second, some of these designs are really elementary. The "Marilyn" earrings are just a drop with a wrapped loop on an earwire. And those cool leaf earrings on the title page enticed me, but the instructions don't show you how to make the leaf bead -- they just call for "brass leaf or other pendant beads." Grrr.

Still, some of these designs are exquisite! I recommend this book for the somewhat-experienced wireworker. - Wire Jewelry - Jewelry Making - Design - Earring Design'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Jewelry Making - wire jewelry, earring design design Jewelry Making - wire jewelry, earring design