Friday 7 August 2009

Drill Press


The press was well packaged and undamaged. The instruction and assembly manual did not completely match the drill press I received. I guess, if you can't figure out how to put it together, you shouldn't be using it anyway. I have a small shop. Everything is on casters. For my shop, it's perfect. Easy to operate, change drill speeds and engage the oscillating feature. It comes with a set of sanding drums. The mounting hardware doesn't hold on to the sanding drum very well, but it works. I added a 3/4" plywood deck to the adjustable platform for sanding and drilling larger stock. This helps in keeping your stock square to the drill or sanding drum. The oscillating feature works well, but you need to be careful how much pressure you place on the object you are sanding to keep from damaging the mechanism. Once you figure out the proper pressure on the sanding drum, the results are quite good. The extra money you pay for all the features is worth it. Shop Fox W1667 1/2 HP 8-1/2-Inch Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press

Seems like a reasonable piece of equipment, but it was frustrating to setup and a few of the details seem to be poorly thought out.



* The manual omits important details and seems to refer to a earlier revision of the product.

* The oscillating feature seems cool, but they recommend that you remove the handles for safety reasons. This is big enough inconvenience, that I may not use that feature much.

* One of the nuts on the idler pulley was loose. It wouldn't drill through anything substantial until that was tightened.

* While the output shaft is quite true, the outside of the chuck appears to be slightly wobbly in operation. While it doesn't appear to affect the operation, it doesn't inspire confidence, either.

* The base looks particularly crude in its machining. It isn't a big issue, it just makes the drill press look cheap.



Some good safety features are the spring chuck key and the switch on the belt door.



I don't know why Amazon refers to this as a H0626. The box and manual called it a model W1668.

I purchased this as an upgrade from my old (cheap) drill press. I was drawn to the secondary "oscillating" feature and the Grizzly name (as the selling vendor).



The product arrived with a broken switch. I reported the issue (via email) to Shop Fox and Grizzly. Grizzly CS responded quickly and shipped a replacement part right away - all at their expense. I get the feeling that they would be willing to help if anything else was amiss.



The H0625 Drill Press itself meets my expectations for quality and features based on the price paid. At some point I will upgrade again but, so far, this drill press has served me well.

The box was labeled with this title, however after unpacking the numerous pieces of broken packing, scattered and damaged parts (yet to be replaced..on a new drill), I saw a different picture. As other reviews have noted, the manual is way out of date and omits details. The setup was basic, but the assembly took longer than it should have because of the confusion. The fit and finish are crude..seems like paint slopped on pot metal. A lot of minor things such as lack of washers for bolt on painted surfaces connections, over tolerance collar ring which will not square itself to the column. Most aggravating thing is when you go out of oscillating mode you have to manually turn the oscilating pulley until the chuck reaches zero again at the head, otherwise, your depth adjustment will be off. To sum up, nice idea, poor engineering, lousy packaging, medicre customer service. Save yourself the headaches and go elsewhere.

I also bought this over the summer after buying a Grizzly Band saw (BTW, I really enjoy the band saw) but after putting this thing together and putting a 1/2 " flat hole bit to create a simple hole in a 1.5 " thick oak, the bit would stop with the slightest pressure as if it can't do it. Come on, 1/2 amp can't even drill a simple hole? I then put a simple 1/4" bit in and it too would stop with some added pressure. This thing has NO muscle!!! Granted, I didn't expect too much but this is rediculous. Even the drum sanding portion is about worthless. Can't sand anything with such little power.

I purchased this drill press from Amazon and the shipment was pretty fast (10 total days I think) and the packaging was appropriate. The delivery service put it exactly where I asked, in spite of my steep driveway, which was very nice considering how heavy the box is. I was surprised how easy it was to assemble, especially considering some of the negative reviews I've read. It did not run very smooth at first, but after a few tweaks it was up to standards within 10 -20 minutes. The whole process of assembly and setup probably took less than two hours. I have drilled several holes and already made a few jigs with it. For all applications to this point I have been very pleased. Sure, it's not a zero tolerance machine that runs as quiet and smooth as an $800 drill press, but it truly is a good value and for most serious hobbyists this will be plenty sufficient. I have not tried the sanding drums yet, but I have friend with the same drill and he loves the sanding feature. All in all, you will not be dissapointed.

After assembling this drill press, it would not operate. I checked it out thoroughly using the manual that came with it and found no apparent problems. I was not please with the quality of the components and have returned it for a refund. I plan to purchase a 12" Delta drill press as it is much more solidly built. It costs more but, I guess you get what you pay for.

Well I took the plunge,and bought a drill press,,I've been reading literature,and getting more,and more confused..the idea of a (2in1)unit sounded great,,Iread the reviews on the shop fox, and they ranged from rant to rave..But I finally bought one,it took me about an hour and a half to get it assembled,,the hardest part being getting the head on by myself..I/m impressed!it is accurate,,and the oscillating sander is really neat..I reccomend it,,,,,5 STARS,,,,,Bob in SOUTH CAROLINA.......'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Drill Press Drill Press Drill Press