Tuesday 30 June 2009

Playstation 3 - usb hub, 7-port usb hub


The job of a hub is to connect your devices together transparently. Which leads to only two questions: Does it work, and does it look good on my desk?



As for looks, it's not bad. 5 plugs on the side (2 & 3), and two under the top cover. The middle strip contains LEDs which light up blue for each active port, and one red LED at the top. A "plugs in the back" model might be slightly prettier, but I've got one of those for another machine and they up being very wide. I like the smaller footprint of this one.



I plugged in the hub, plugged in the power supply (a more than ample 3A, which is excellent), and connected mouse, keyboard, webcam, phone headset and cable for a USB pedometer. I then promptly forgot about the hub. Soon I realize I was making a telephone call over USB while uploading the weekend's walk data, and everything was humming along nicely. No issues, no driver hassles. Just what I was from a hub. It's there, and besides now having 7 more USB ports, my computer is the same as before. That's what an excellent hub should do Plugable 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with 3A Power Adapter

Plugable 7-Port High Performance USB HUB:



Packaging: This unit comes in an EASY-TO-OPEN package. It is not one of those clam-shells that require scissors or a knife to open. Goes from the Amazon box to package open and ready to use in less than 30 seconds. This is a bonus in my book because I dislike having to open a clam-shell with a knife or scissors, it is frustrating.



Power Supply and USB cable: The power supply is a HEFTY 3A output. It will power all 7 ports at 428mA each or 6 at 500mA each. (500mA is the max any one USB device may draw.) This is important as I have blown out 5 USB hubs since January due to a lack of power to the hubs. On lesser hubs, if you hook up too many power-hungry devices it will actually destroy the controller inside and that renders the hub useless after that. If you have ever done that, you know how infuriating it can be.



Power cable is 54" long. USB cable included is 38" long and is standard male USB on one end that plugs into your computer and male USB mini on the end the plugs into the HUB. Power adapter block is 3"x 1-5/8" and requires two or three outlets as it sits longways instead of sideways like so many power adapters. Presumably to have that much power output it needs to have the larger adapter. You can get a "Power Strip Liberator" 5 POWER STRIP ADAPTERS LIBERATORS from Amazon to free up the outlets on your power strip.



USB HUB Unit: Unit is HIGH-GLOSS black, quite attractive. It has a clear, sliding cover that hides two USB ports. Under the clear, plastic cover is also a strip of lights. One red LED indicates power is on. Seven (7) blue LED's indicate which ports are in use. The lights are attractive to me, but you could put black tape over them if they bother you at all. There are three USB ports on the left side, as you face the unit, and two on the right side. Also on the right side is the power supply jack and the USB IN from computer jack.



Unit Weighs: 97.4g; Measures: 3" wide by 4.5" tall by 1" thick.



Device has 4 teeny, tiny, rubber feet on the bottom. They don't really do a lot to keep it from sliding around. However, I ALWAYS mount my USB hubs on the side of my desk using Scotch Heavy Duty Clear Mounting Tape. 3M Scotch 4010 Heavy Duty Clear Mounting Tape That takes care of any sliding around or items falling off the desk due to an unrestrained HUB. I highly recommend mounting all equipment, but mounting any USB HUB is a necessity, in my book.



Now for testing the power. I plugged in the following power-hungry devices in an attempt to blow this unit out.

Two (2) 2.5" USB External Hard Disk Drives, which get their power from the hub.

I also attached a Canon CanoScan scanner, which also gets its power from the hub.

In addition, I attached my iPhone charger/data cable and charged my phone.

I charged a portable media player at the same time as transferring data.

As well, I added some low power items to fill up all of the 7 ports.



No problems whatsoever. The same equipment plugged into lesser hubs caused the internal controller to fail and rendered those hubs a tiny brick suitable for throwing against a wall. This Plugable 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with 3A Power Adapter handled everything I could throw at it. Everything that caused other hubs to fail was no problem for this Plugable 7-port unit.



This hub has everything it takes to power 7 devices. If you are looking for a HIGH-PERFORMANCE HUB that will power 7 of your power-hungry devices, look no further. If all you are looking for is a dependable hub with which to use a flash drive or two, this HUB will not let you down. If you have ever killed a USB hub before, you know how frustrating it can be. I can say without reservation that this unit will not be killed by too many power-hungry devices. Power-Users will really appreciate the extra power the 3A power adapter brings to this unit. The side ports are well-arranged and the two ports on the front with the sliding cover are a great place to plug in your flash drives while leaving the other 5 ports attached to your equipment.



I would highly recommend this USB HUB to anyone. Power-users will rejoice in the extra power. Average users will enjoy the design, functionality and good looks of this hub. Everyone will enjoy using it. I could not get it to even hiccup with all I plugged into it. I know this unit is more money than CHEAP, USELESS hubs. I know you can get a 7 port hub for $4.99. The old adage, "You get what you pay for." holds true for USB HUBS.



You know it is good when all I can say that is remotely negative is that the rubber feet on the bottom are not substantial. But the way they are placed, you can easily stick silicone feet on it if you are not going to mount it using the double-sticky tape I recommended. You may find rubber, stick-on feet here: 20pc Small Stick-on Clear Silicon Non-Skid Pads Self-Adhesive



If you are on the fence about this one and any other... find out what power capacity the other unit has. I would wager it won't stand up to this piece of equipment in functionality, looks, fit and finish, and power supplied to each port.



This product will be in the stockings of everyone I buy gifts for this year. I'm certain everyone who receives it will find it quite useful. As well, I don't have to worry about them blowing it up the day after Christmas with all those new devices they got as gifts. - 7-port Usb Hub - Usb Hub - Mac - 7 Port Usb Hub'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Playstation 3 - usb hub, 7-port usb hub 7-port usb hub Playstation 3 - usb hub, 7-port usb hub