Sunday 21 June 2009

Communication - speech recognition, voice recognition


UNCORRECTED VERSION

I dictated this review using Dragon NaturallySpeaking number nine. The first half of the review is the raw version, just as Dragon NaturallySpeaking transcribed it. Then I will correct the review so you can judge how well the program performs.



I will admit my expectations were low. I had previously owned an earlier version of a Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but it performed so poorly I removed it from the computer. I also seem to remember that Windows came with a version of the speech recognition that also did not work well enough to be worth the bother. I quit using it as well. The problem with each of these programs was that, although they did transcribe many words correctly, they made so many mistakes it turned out just to be easier to type myself more, since I generate a lot of letters for my business, to hire a transcription service.



I bought a Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9, standard version, on only among on a whim. Magazine reviews of the program had been a favorable, and the price was only $99. Still, I expected poor results. As you have seen however, the program does a remarkably good job of transcribing my speech. This is with very little training -- no more than a few minutes. I now find that it is quicker to take dictate into Dragon NaturallySpeaking and later go back and correct the errors than it is to just type myself.



Still, the product does have a few drawbacks.



Number one: the user license is for only one person. Even if you install the software on only one computer, you must still pay in nuance separate licensing fee for each person who uses the program. Imagine having to pay a separate licensing fee for each person who uses Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat elements. That's crazy, and it just passes me off.



Number two: although I have a 3.2 GHz computer, Dragon NaturallySpeaking does seem to noticeably slow down the machine's performance.



Number three: I'm a little worried about the programs stability and compatibility. It sometimes seems to freeze for 30 seconds or so. It will sometimes accept dictation into Microsoft Access, other times it accepts the dictation then immediately erases the result. I've also found that my mission-critical retrospect backup software isn't working.



[Typed adendum: I've also discovered (Win XP Pro, Office 2003): DNat.Speaking

1) damages MS Access so that quitting Access leaves an orphan instance of Access running--and you can't then reopen Access.

2) Damages MS Word so that you can no longer select text with the mouse.

3) Damages Adobe Acrobat Standard so that the only way to get it's OCR function to work is to restart the computer]



Number four: related to number three is Nuance software's policy of charging for technical assistance. I'm worried that the company puts out a product with obvious flaws [it's seeing number three above], then turns fixing those problems into a profit center.



Finally, I've discovered that dictating letters and reports results and of very different prose style then typing does. Part of the reason is that when you're dictating you must think carefully about each sentence, but once the sentence is a dictated there's no good way to go back to change it. Your output is a wordier. Your thoughts and paragraphs are much less tightly structured. That means that Dragon NaturallySpeaking is good for in a formal e-mails and job progress notes, and for highly structured, repetitive, business reports. It is much less useful for writing that requires careful thought and structure.



-------------------------



CORRECTED VERSION; I've ALL CAPSed corrections.

I dictated this review using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0. The first half of the review is the raw version, just as Dragon NaturallySpeaking transcribed it. Then I will correct the review so you can judge how well the program performs.



I will admit my expectations were low. I had previously owned an earlier version of XXaXX Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but it performed so poorly I removed it from the computer. I also seem to remember that Windows came with a version of the speech recognition that also did not work well enough to be worth the bother. I quit using it as well. The problem with each of these programs was that, although they did transcribe many words correctly, they made so many mistakes it turned out just to be easier to type myself, OR since I generate a lot of letters for my business, to hire a transcription service.



I bought XXaXX Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9, standard version, on XX a whim. Magazine reviews of the program had been a favorable, and the price was only $99. Still, I expected poor results. As you have seen however, the program does a remarkably good job of transcribing my speech. This is with very little training -- no more than a few minutes. I now find that it is quicker to XXtakeXX dictate into Dragon NaturallySpeaking and later go back and correct the errors than it is to just type myself.



Still, the product does have a few drawbacks.



#1 The user license is for only one person. Even if you install the software on only one computer, you must still pay XXinXX Nuance A separate licensing fee for each person who uses the program. Imagine having to pay a separate licensing fee for each person who uses Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat Elements. That's crazy, and it just PISSES me off.



#2: Although I have a 3.2 GHz computer, Dragon NaturallySpeaking does seem to noticeably slow down the machine's performance.



#3: I'm a little worried about the programs stability and compatibility. It sometimes seems to freeze for 30 seconds or so. It will sometimes accept dictation into Microsoft Access, other times it accepts the dictation then immediately erases the result. I've also found that my mission-critical Retrospect backup software isn't working.



#4: Related to number three is Nuance Software's policy of charging for technical assistance. I'm worried that the company puts out a product with obvious flaws [SEE number three above], then turns fixing those problems into a profit center.



Finally, I've discovered that dictating letters and reports results XXand ofXX IN A very different prose style THAN typing does. Part of the reason is that when you're dictating you must think carefully about each sentence, but once the sentence is XXaXX dictated there's no good way to go back to change it. Your output is a wordier. Your thoughts and paragraphs are much less tightly structured. That means that Dragon NaturallySpeaking is good for XXin aXX INformal e-mails and job progress notes, and for highly structured, repetitive, business reports. It is much less useful for writing that requires careful thought and structurING. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 Standard [OLD VERSION] - Speech Recognition - Voice Recognition - Software - Voice To Text'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Communication - speech recognition, voice recognition speech recognition Communication - speech recognition, voice recognition